The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 6, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
North East Redneck

looking for info on Richland Arms 1851 brass frame revolver

Hello to all.

Been reading here for awhile, finally joined.

About a year and a half ago I became the owner of an 1851 brass framed navy repro. It is a twelve inch barrel (6 sided) version. I have the original box and paperwork, the box has serial number 31684, ballister, rev. Navy 1851, plain cylinder, cal 44 N on it. The guns serial number matches. Included with it is paperwork stating it was shipped on June 26, 1974 from Richland Arms Co. Blissfield, Michigan. It was shipped to John T. Amber Gun Digest Editor, as a sample for testing.
It shoots quite well, looks nice except for some markings on the cylinder from the stop.
Does anyone know anything about Richland Arms?
Ive been burning black powder for about ten years, only recently became interested in the details of who made it, history of different arms etc.
It has a stamp under the loading lever 'FAP',(is this Pietta?) left side of barrel says 'Black Powder Only - Made in Italy'. Frame and barrel also have hallmarks that are difficult to make out, but both have 'PN' on them. Frame has XXX on right side. Top of barrel says Navy Mod 44.
Any history of Richland Arms or their who they imported from would be great.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
zullo74

FAP is Pietta.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

And XXX indicates a 1974 manufacture date

The hallmarks as you call them are the Italian proof marks.

Dr Jim Davis (BPrevolver) can fill you in on Richlands history [email protected]
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 7, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
North East Redneck

Thanks guys. Useful info and thanks also for the contact info.
Old June 7, 2012, 05:36 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I can't tell you a whole lot about Richland Arms other than they were located in Blissfield, MI. They had a number of different models with their name on them. I have a '58 Remington that was left to me by a friend. I remember him shooting it in the 60's (he was shooting NSSA) and he helped me a lot when I started shooting NSSA when I was a kid. Mine also has a brass style frame but unfortunately, his son took it apart years ago and the loading lever ass'y was lost. I do know that they also had some rifles that they sold on the pattern of a Wesson ML box lock style - I had one once that I picked up at a gun show and used for trading stock. I'm not sure of the year they discontinued business. In the late 70's, I went over to Ypsilanti to Eastern Michigan University to look at some surplus metal and woodworking equipment and put some bids in on some of the items. At that time, I was told by the individual that was in charge of showing the surplus equipment and taking bids on it that some of it had been donated to the university by Richland Arms. True or not . . . I don't know but that was what was stated to me by the fellow.

I've been looking for a loading lever assembly for mine and haven't had much luck in regards to parts for it. The one that I have is pretty well made and I remember that my friend was a pretty good shot with it. It has more sentimental value to me than what I'm sure it is worth.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 8, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

I had a Ballister....

....That I thought came from EMF but it might have been a Richland Arms pistol.

It was a a piece of meat. The barrel on the revolver was actually bent when I received it. There was about a sixteenth inch of light under the barrel if your laid it on a table on it's side. The grip was a sickening blond color.

I straightened the barrel, made grips from mahogany and put it in a drawer. I shot it a coupla times but I never could get past my negative feelings for it.

I spoke to BP about it about a year and a half ago. I do not recall speaking about who manufactured the pistol.
Old June 8, 2012, 06:24 PM   #7
North East Redneck

BedBug-
Thanks. Any info is cool.

Doc-
Sorry to hear yours was mangled.
I was lucky to get one in great shape.
Haven't shot it that much, but, it shoots nicely from what I've seen so far.
Old June 8, 2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

My feelings about the pistol...

...were really irrational.

When I shot it I had no complaints. I was able to straighten the barrel such that anything irregular was imperceptible to the eye and did not appear to impact shooting negatively.

But my attitude toward the pistol was as though its serial number was 666.
Old June 9, 2012, 05:13 PM   #9
North East Redneck

Doc-
Sorry to hear that it was a devil to your mind.
For a 38 year old gun mine is very nice. Timing
Is perfect, barrel to frame fit is tight. Powerful
Mainspring etc. Wish you could have enjoyed yours
As much as I do mine.
Old June 9, 2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Yes....I have to agree

To my recollection the pistol was put together pretty well.

I was very disappointed that the final QA missed the warped barrel. I was stationed in Guam at the time and it took six to eight weeks to get things. Everything I ordered came through Shotgun News.

I guess I should have sent it back but the time involved made it more worth while just to try straightening it.