The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
BODILLYMILL

voere 22.250 2165 K98

I have one of these , for accuracy it is second to non... but two things need working on to improve its operation.

I need to be able to stop the jams caused by 'loose feeding' from a magazine that was designed for larger ammunition. If you do not do it very deliberately the ammunition has a tendency to pop out and jam against the internal breech collar damaging the round head and therefore accuracy. Ok no estenuated possibility of a dangerous missfire because its not a rimfire round and the mindfull strength in my action that I use to load a round will always give me a safer loading process. But in a need to kill a predator situation a real pain when it happens as the predator undoubtably gets away during your unjamming.

Also I want to adjust the trigger pull to more like it used to be on my Anshultz target rifle without risking safety...

Ideas please from anyone who has one of these
Tone
Old May 18, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

The magazine feed lips are milled into the receiver on the 98 and sized for feeding the original 8 mm ammunition from a double-column. I don't see any convenient way to add metal to narrow it without destroying the heat treatment of the receiver I've seen the same problem dealt with on a Savage rifle by converting the gun to accept a single-column detachable magazine, but I don't know if the laws on your side of the pond allow that.

The detachable magazine has its own feed lips built in, of course. The single-column is then narrow enough to feed up the center between the original lips. The lips can even be ground down a little if needed to achieve the fit, though I would hold that to a minimum to avoid reducing the rigidity of the receiver. It is already a bit whippy behind the receiver rings, though that's less an issue for your.22 than the heavier recoiling bigger bores.

For the trigger, replacing the original with a Timney or other aftermarket trigger is the only way I know to get the match trigger feel you are after.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 18, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It isn't feasible to add metal to the feed rails, but some can be taken off at the rear to allow the cartridge to come up further at the rear, then tweaking the front part a little to adjust for the difference in the shoulder area. It is not a job for the ham-handed, but it can be done with a Dremel tool and a lot of patience in the "cut and try" department.

Jim