The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2001, 01:38 PM   #1
Dave R

My BHP clone had a chipped extractor (due, I think, to my former fondness for steel-cased Wolf ammo).

Rather than take it to the smith, I posted on TFL and got a good reference on parts. Eyeballed the slide and figured out that I had to drive out a horizontal pin, which holds a see-saw lever in the bottom of the slide (what does that thing do, anyway) in order to drive out the vertical pin that holds the extractor. Referred to past TFL posts on how to drive pins without "mushrooming" the heads.

Ordered parts, replaced them, replaced the firing pin while I was at it, and wow! perfect function again.

I feel like a cross between Dr. Kildare and Montgomery Scott.

Thanks for all the help, TFL.
Old March 17, 2001, 08:34 PM   #2
boing

Ah yes, the evil guilty pleasure of monkeying around with something mechanical when you don't really know what you're doing.

It's possibly my favorite part of buying a new, unfamiliar gun, and I've done with every gun I own.

[fingers crossed]So far, so good...[/fingers crossed]
Old March 17, 2001, 10:09 PM   #3
Romulus

You're right, Boing, it's sometimes an irresistible temptation. I guess my results are more mixed than yours, some excellent, others downright laughable...

But the good ones I'm truly proud of, like a great belgian bluing...
Old March 17, 2001, 11:50 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Dave,

That "see-saw" piece is the sear lever and it is the connection between the trigger and the sear. Don't mess with it unless you have a lot more experience than you sound like you do.

The thing works this way. When the trigger is pulled back, the rear end pivots upward, raising the trigger lever, which pushes up on the front end of the sear lever which pivots so its rear end presses down on the front of the sear, which causes the back end of the sear to pivot out of the full cock notch in the hammer. The hammer spring pulls (not pushes) on the front end of the hammer, causing it to pivot forward and hit the firing pin, which goes forward and fires the cartridge in the chamber.

It works, but it is a bit more like Rube Goldberg than the John Browning of the simple and straightforward 1911. Further, that trigger action is not conducive to a good trigger pull. A good pull depends on the slide being well fitted, since part of the trigger pull can be wasted in raising the slide if it is not.

Jim
Old March 18, 2001, 04:55 PM   #5
Dave R

Thanks for the explanation, Jim. Fortunately, I just removed and replaced it (necessary to drive out the pin that holds the extractor.)

Also, my trigger pull is not that bad. Just a hint of mush, and about 4lb. break. I feel no need to spend $$ to improve it.

I did do a "poor man's trigger job" by polishing a couple of my magazines where the magazine safety rubs them. This makes a significant difference. I dicovered this when I bought a used magazines that had this done. the difference in trigger pull was really noticeable. I also bought some of the 17rnd SA magazines. They have a nice, smooth finish and didn't require polishing.
Old March 20, 2001, 01:16 PM   #6
Redlg155

Dave,

What type of Hi Power clone do you have? I purchased a FM Hi-Power from Argentina a couple of weeks ago. I only put one mag through this weapon, double taps and singles, but since I only shot 15 rounds, 14+1- I can't judge the overall reliability of the weapon based on that. It was a joy to shoot and when the slide locked back I thought, Dang..thats it.lol. I'm used to a .45 so a 9mm was extremely contrallable compared to my G36.

Anyway...I was wodering if you had the same pistol and if so, how happy you are with it.

Good Shooting
Red
Old March 22, 2001, 12:53 PM   #7
Dave R

Redlg, mine is an FEG PJK-9HP. I like it a lot. Accurate and reliable, up till the time the extractor broke.

I put the Hogue monogrip on it, and it just feels great in my hand. Very pointable and controllable. But you knew that already.

I've heard good things about the Argentine Hi-Powers. I'll bet you'll enjoy yours even more as you shoot it more.