The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 3, 2006, 12:15 AM   #1
BouncerDan

Followed

Tonight I decided to catch a late movie. I wasn't really tired and was already in town so I decided to go see "World Trade Center" at 9:50 pm. Once the movie released I headed home which is a 45 minute drive (doing the speed limit) though the boon-docks. I didn't notice it at first but about 5 minutes after leaving the theatur I saw a car about 3 cars away that seemed to be following me. Basicly mirroring everything I did (from lane changes to turns) so once I got out of town I drove home as fast as I could safely get away with. Once I notice the car I quickly pulled out my Beretta PX4 from under the seat chambered a round and called my brother who was at home and let him know of the situation so he would be ready and have the door open when I got there. I got home my brother was at the door waiting got inside at a full sprint between the car and the house door. What do you guys think of my response to this possible threat? Although no violence insuded to you think I did ok? What would you have done different please give me advice so that I have a better laid out stragey if this ever happens again. Thanks

Bouncer Dan
This year will go down in history as the first year a civilized nation has full gun control, our streets will be safer, our police more effective. The rest of the world will follow our lead into the future." Adolf Hitler 1939.

Sig 229 (.40 cal)
Beretta 92 FS
Beretta PX4 (.40 cal)
Ruger P94TH (.40 cal)
Ruger 10/22
AR 15
Mossberg 500 (12GA) (modified by myself from hunting variant to home defence variant)
Remington 870 (20 GA)
Old September 3, 2006, 12:25 AM   #2
hot sauce

Take 3 rights. If they continue to follow call the police.
Old September 3, 2006, 12:37 AM   #3
rangermonroe

Quote:
Take 3 rights. If they continue to follow call the police.
Sounds about right to me, too.
Old September 3, 2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Esquire M Busterbury

Never hurts to be paranoid. At least you noticed someone following you, most people are off in la-la-land and don't notice. And no, that was overreacting, if anything, I would have had the brother have a Mossberg in reachin' distance from the door just in case they followed the distance.

Sometimes, when I think someone's following, I skip my house & cruise the block, no sense in leading some wacko to my house.

Unrelated note, anyone ever see 'History of violence'? All this talk of shotguns & people following you home must've brought it to mind.
Old September 3, 2006, 01:08 AM   #5
skeeter1

It never hurts to have a cellphone with you and call 911. That's why I carry mine. The cops are getting paid whether you call them or not, so you might as well utilize their services, and from my reflections, if you're scared, they begin by being on your side.

Don't pull out the handgun first -- that's likely to get you in deep trouble -- that's a last-resort answer for a BG.
Old September 3, 2006, 02:32 AM   #6
Rangefinder

As a standing rule, never lead someone to where you live. Second to that, don't lead them to a friend's house either--no point in putting someone else in danger. The 3-right turns is a good place to start if you can, to identify your tail. From there, head straight to a well lit public place (grocery story, Wal-mart, etc). Next, remember that the cell phone is your friend. Call the police, call someone you can trust, call the psychic network hotline if you want. But do it visibly. If you can see the tail at the same time, look at them. There are two reasons for this--1) to show you've seen them, and 2) to gather any possible information you can about them (car make, model, color, year, distinguishing marks, plate if possible, driver details, passengers, etc) If it appears that A) the tail has been made, they're going to be rethinking whatever they were planning. And B) If they know they've been made AND you're communicating it to someone else, you probably won't be seeing them in the rear-view again that night. Log whatever you can about it, I'd suggest reporting it, then take a different route to where ever you were going unless otherwise instructed by LE.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 3, 2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Blackwater OPS

Well my personal reaction would be a bit different, partly because I am an admitted paranoid. First off, it's been said already, but don't lead someone following you to your home. Bad idea. In a car you are a very quickly moving target and your car is a multi-ton weapon in itself. Also, you are pretty vulnerable moving from car to house. Even if they just drive off, now they know where you live, they could end up waiting for you to leave, ambush, or any one of a dozen other nasty things.

My suggestion would be to call 911 and drive to the police station, unless the guy is a robot sent from the future to prevent you from breeding, he will almost certainly back off. If not, the police will deal with it and you won't have to worry about civil/criminal liability. You could even be a bit more subtle and drive normally(not home though) and wait for the cops to catch up. At least then there will be some info on who they are and possibly an arrest if the cop is able to find something.

Personally though, I wan't to know why someone is following me. I would think, did I cut him off in traffic? Is it some guy I locked up? It it my GF's crazy ex? Colombian Cartel thugs pissed about ancient history? Some chick who wanted to meet me and thought it would be cute/romantic to follow me home? Someone mistook you for their long lost relative? Could be anything.

So, the other option would be a confrontation. Not really a great idea unless you know what you are doing and have a specific reason for doing it. In any case at 2am I would use the top floor of a (presumably empty) parking garage or a similar place rather then my front lawn. You are going to want to do a quick turn to that gets your car facing his, but angled about 30 degrees off. This will give you the wheels and engine block as cover. Hit your brights/fogs as well. Exit drawn but keep your self and weapon out of sight. Call for them to indentify themselves in a STRONG(command) voice. If they want a shootout, give them one. At least they won't have much advantage. If it's one of the false alarm type things above, well you can say you were just being careful, and they will not even know you had a weapon. Again, I'm NOT reccomending this, call the cops, but hey if you are gonna do it, do it right.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old September 3, 2006, 06:52 AM   #8
CDH

Quote:
Some chick who wanted to meet me and thought it would be cute/romantic to follow me home?
Reminds me of a song from an old Clint Eastwood movie:
http://www.terrortrap.com/killerthri...laymistyforme/

Look at me
I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree
and I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud
I can't understand
I get misty...

As to your situation...

Step 1: +1 on not leading anyone to your house or anyone you know. After 3 right turns, you know all you have to know to call the police (if you have a cell phone), describe what's going on, and tell them where to find you or find out where they want you to go.
Without a cell phone, drive to a police station, stop a passing cruiser, or get to a really crowded and well lit area. Be sure to write down license number of following vehicle and leave it where it can be found in your car.

Step 2: Maintain PX4 readiness.

Carter
Old September 3, 2006, 08:48 AM   #9
BouncerDan

More information

Sorry on not giving all the details last night. I arrived home very late and was also kind of stressed out. Like I said I first noticed them in Gainesville. However I live about 45 miles outside of town. I did take (alot) more than 3 turns to make sure I wasn't just being paranoid. And the problem with calling the cops is that where I live at night we have to deputies on duty. These two deputies have to cover a entire county so it can take them up to an hour to respond. I have found this out the hard way before. And while I didn't lead the BG directly home and did think about driving somewhere besides home my final decesion was based on the theory that there is strenth in numbers. Aswell as if the BG does want a fight I have better weapons at the house. And in the event of a shoot out I would reather do it in a area that I am familar with. And with someone there that I could rely on for a key witness.
This year will go down in history as the first year a civilized nation has full gun control, our streets will be safer, our police more effective. The rest of the world will follow our lead into the future." Adolf Hitler 1939.

Sig 229 (.40 cal)
Beretta 92 FS
Beretta PX4 (.40 cal)
Ruger P94TH (.40 cal)
Ruger 10/22
AR 15
Mossberg 500 (12GA) (modified by myself from hunting variant to home defence variant)
Remington 870 (20 GA)
Old September 3, 2006, 09:32 AM   #10
rick_reno

Drive like you stole the car, you'll eventually attact a cop who will be more than happy to help you.
Old September 3, 2006, 09:56 AM   #11
BillCA

+1 on not leading possible BG's to your home
+1 on not leading 'em to a friend's home
+1 on calling the cops on the cell phone
+1 for casually determining they're following you

If you've only got 2 deputies available, when you call 911, describe where you are (NB Hwy 12 a mile north of X) and then ask them to direct you towards the nearest deputy and direct the deputy towards you. Stay on the line until you see 'em and he gets behind the stalker.

Another good bet is to drive up to the police department. Here in the PRK, however, newer facilities are putting parking lots well away from the main entrances and at 2am they're sometimes pretty lonely places. If possible, drive to or towards their police-car parking lot which may have at least a security guard or police officer to pass cars through.
Old September 3, 2006, 10:02 AM   #12
pumpkinheaver

I would not have led them anywhere near my home. I would have tried to lose them.

Just because your paranoid don't mean they aint out to get you.
Old September 3, 2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
Just because your paranoid don't mean they aint out to get you.
+1
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old September 3, 2006, 04:23 PM   #14
skeeter1

Drive to the nearest PD. I know of several in my area that have jails, so they have a LEO on duty at all times. Any BG who would follow you into a PD is dumber than a brick.

Secondly, I've got a new cellphone, which is probably your best friend in that situation. The newer ones have GPS or triangulation, so the cops will know where you are.

Finally, I've still got a fairly fast car, and would make a beeline to the nearest PD if I had to.

The handgun in the car should only be the last line of defense.
Old September 3, 2006, 04:56 PM   #15
oldbillthundercheif

So what did the car do when you stopped and did your sprint to the house?
Old September 4, 2006, 09:28 AM   #16
22-rimfire

Maybe the following vehicle was a LEO? They do that sometimes, especially at night.

Making a series of turns is a great way to identify a following vehicle. You pretty much know after a couple of turns. The third is the charm. Then if I had a way to defend myself, I'd head to a Walmart parking lot. Probably would not stop though if they followed me in.

Spot light or flash light shown into their car a great way to let someone know you "know" they are there. It also suggests that you may be pretty well prepared for anything they might deal you.

I would not have taken them to my home except as a last resort (meaning, I was in fear of my life and I believed that I needed reinforcements to deal with the problem). If I lead them to my house, I would be expecting a face to face encounter and I would have called the police as I approached the house. Cell phones are awfully handy.

That gun in the car can really provide you with peace of mind in dealing with a situation like this, but it should be a last resort.
Old September 4, 2006, 12:24 PM   #17
Jason607

I've been followed before. A few times, I thought I was being followed but it was just that we were heading to the same area. Sometimes, having a pickup truck, people will try to draft off you and because your higher, and can see more, cut through traffic better, so some smarter people will follow your lead.

One time I knew someone was following me. I used to be into stereos, I was showing a buddy my new amp in a mall parking lot. This guy was staring at us from across the parking lot in his car. I was driving home and noticed that this same car was behind me, and had noticed it a few times on the way. I went down another street and when I got to the turnaround I knew he was following me. I slung the car around and thought of confronting him, but instead floored it and blew by him. I had my G27 right there on my lap. I had forgotten my cell that day. He didn't try to follow me again.

I agree, you DO NOT let them find out where you or your friends/relitives live.
Old September 4, 2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Dwight55

Some years ago, . . . for whatever reason, . . . someone tried to tail me home or something, . . . anyway they followed me. As I had an Olds 442 and knew how to drive it, . . . I was able to lose them in the windy streets of the big city I lived in then.

Later, . . . reflecting with some buddies, . . . I came upon the idea that I still have in the back of my head.

IF I KNOW 4 SURE that the guy is up to no good, . . . and if I can get to a good highway or interstate within 5 minutes, . . . I'll lead him toward the interstate, . . . at the base of the on ramp I'm going into reverse, . . . ram his radiator back against his fan and block, . . . and hopefully within the next 5 miles his engine will conk out or someone will have seen what happened and LEO's will arrive.

Anyway, . . . that's the plan I've never had to use, . . . thank God!

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 4, 2006, 07:24 PM   #19
guntotin_fool

First things first, if you had a cell phone to call your bro, you had time to call the cops. IF you SERIOUSLY felt your security was at risk. Otherwise, just get on the gas and get yourself to a very busy place, see how they react. If they follow you still, call the cops then. Do the usual, pull up to a green light, wait for it to go yellow almost red and then pull thru the light. Pull three rights in a row and see if they follow after they know they are made. Drive to the cop shop and lay on the horn. worse case scenario, drive to all night busy spot, park and leave car and enter busy business.

Of course if you live in a big city, the airport is always a choice, pull in and park illegally, you will have a half dozen mp5 toting HSA guys waiting to defend you.
Old September 4, 2006, 07:41 PM   #20
JayP228

I register my car to a PO box and would never lead a potential BG home. If I thought I was being followed, my cell phone would be out in a minute to call for LEO assistance. Unless you were carrying illegally, of course.
Old September 4, 2006, 09:29 PM   #21
Blackwater OPS

Oh, btw, there is a trap range near me(triple B clays, used to be pachmyer) where someone was followed from the range. His car was broken into while he was eating dinner at a resturant(charlie brown's if you know the place) and lost about 20K worth of VERY nice guns and gear. Professional job.

Something to keep in mind ESP. when you are leaving a range/gunstore. The perps know if you have one gun, you probably have more, and they are smart enough to wait till you are at work for the day to take your stuff.

In fact, that guy was lucky he did not go straight home and the perps decided to settle for a quick snatch of what he had in the car rather than his whole collection.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

(\__/)
(")_(")
Old September 16, 2006, 10:37 AM   #22
gdm

Id make a series of right turns until you get just outta sight then park it where its view is obstructed and take your foot off the brake so the brake light doesnt give you away.When they drive past,get the tag number and doubleback.I like to avoid any confrontation but be prepared to confront them if the situation becomes necessary.
Old September 16, 2006, 11:49 AM   #23
KingofAttendance
Registration in progress

I've had people follow me before, usually what I do is drive around just doing left and right turns, then maybe a u-turn or two. If they are still following me, I'll slow down through a turn and turn off all the light completely, then let them get right on my ass before turning my lights back on (this trick has to be done at night) and they'll think I'm slamming on the brake, then just floor it.

One time though, after I floored it, they floored it too (I later found out it was one of my friends), and were trying to get alongside me. I slammed on the brakes and made a u-turn right in front of a bunch of traffic and he couldn't do a thing about it.