The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
nolaOE800

opinions on Ruger LCP?

I posted this on another thread but I figured it would make more sense to just repost in a new thread since they were talking more about holsters...

anyone got an opinion on the Ruger LCP? my neighbor just showed me his and just holding it, i like it alot! I'm more of a fullsize kinda guy myself, but if I'm ever gonna start carrying, I guess I have to get used to compacts. I think I just gave myself a bad start because the only sub-compacts that I'm familiar with is Glocks... they are the only Glocks that I don't like. I think the frame and grip are just too thick for a subcompact gun. But I really like the way this little Ruger LCP feels in my hand, I can't wait till I get to shoot one, soon hopefully.

how much do they cost?
do they make extended mags so my pinky can get in on the fun?
reliable?
how does it stack up against something like a Walther PPS 9mm in terms of overall size, weight, reliability? (that's another compact I've been looking at, but I've never seen the Walther in person)
Old January 7, 2010, 03:16 PM   #2
bangbangshootshoot

Price's are across the board. Mine cost $280, but they're still selling for $350+. Shop around.
Here's a previous thread for ya:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...&highlight=lcp
Old January 7, 2010, 03:22 PM   #3
hdawson228

Consider the Kahr series of concealment handguns. My CW9 has been perfect and I trust it with my life.
Old January 7, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4
nolaOE800

that other thread was helpful, bangbang.. now, if I only wasn't so broke...
Old January 7, 2010, 03:50 PM   #5
voyager4520

In my area they're anywhere from $290 to $320 before tax. I've been considering one but the availability of ammo has me thinking twice. From the .380 ammo supply in my area it seems like the gun stores can get it if they want it, they just don't want more than enough of it to sell a few guns in that caliber.
Old January 7, 2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Microgunner

They're nice little pistols and about as concealable as they get.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:13 PM   #7
nolaOE800

.380 ammo is pretty hard to come by in my neck of the woods too but if a .380 was the best option for CCW then I wouldn't let the ammo shortage stop me. there's always the internet, and retailers get some in SOMETIMES but you just gotta stay on top of it and call them often.

is the stopping power of .380 comparable to 9mm? I'm not one of those overly macho gun owners that only likes large calibers, BUT, i do want something that's gonna get the job done. I'm only real familiar with .40S&W but it's just so hard to conceal large caliber guns. I don't have my CCW license yet but it's in my plans for the near future. My G22 is concealable, but only under a jacket or something, you can't just stick it in your pocket.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Big Bill

I saw one just before Christmas at my local gun store for $285. I've had mine for about 6 months and like it. It's my daily carry gun.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 7, 2010, 05:22 PM   #9
rockycat

The KelTec is the same size and the same as the lcp except a slide lock. The difference is price, the KT is cheaper and all over the place. The lcp has been recalled and may have been fixed by now the KT has not .
Old January 7, 2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Coltman 77

Check out a Walther PPS in 9mm.

I've had one for more than a year and it's been dead nuts reliable and uber accurate.

It's not a "bargain gun" and folks can't find a super "deal" on it but it is great German engineering and worth the higher price,IMO.

Good luck,let us know what you decide.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old January 7, 2010, 06:57 PM   #11
seaville

lcp

The LCP is a great little weapon, my first one was $270 last year the other one cost $289 + tax. My son has the p3at. I carry a kimber ultra carry or kahr pm9 or a p64 Polish or model 37 smith.
I carry the LCP most. I prefer it to the p3at .
I shoot it well and load it with Hornaday critical defense. The Hornaday ammo is great. If I had a ppk I would put it in the rotation.
My other conceal carry weapons get little use. I mention the other weapons to emphasize my like for the LCP, but I'm a gun nut.
Old January 7, 2010, 07:28 PM   #12
ttheel

The LCP is absolutely the easiest gun to conceal that I have ever owned. It is darned accurate for such a small mouse gun also. One of the best gun purchases I have ever made.....and I've made alot of them.
Old January 7, 2010, 07:37 PM   #13
nolaOE800

If I had my way, I would love to grab an LCP, but realistically, I find myself leaning more and more in the direction of Walther PPS. I'm sure the LCP is easier to conceal, and just as reliable, but I'm a little scared of .380 because of the ammo shortage. I suppose I've made this kind of an unanswerable thread.

I was just impressed by my neighbors LCP and wanted some other opinions on it.

as soon as .380 bounces back to the ammo shelves, I'll have no reason not to pick up the LCP.
Old January 7, 2010, 07:46 PM   #14
ttheel

Quote:
as soon as .380 bounces back to the ammo shelves, I'll have no reason not to pick up the LCP.
It really isnt that hard to find. I have had many opportunities to buy .380 ammo over the last 2-3 months. I have bought ammo three different times and could have many more times. The internet is a wonderful thing.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:52 PM   #15
Topkicker

It's the most concealable gun I own. I keep it in my front pocket during the summer. Catch myself carryin it alot in the winter months too. Ruger makes a clip extention for it but it won't get your pinky on the grip. Seems like i saw an after market clip on "Gun Broker" that got your pinky on the grip and gave you an extra round or two.