The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2012, 07:15 AM   #1
rajbcpa

Do you use case lube with carbide dies?

...now loading 40sw. First, I de-bulge the cases on a SS press with a Lee push through die after cleaning the cases in the tumbler/vibrator. I noticed that the de-bulging die works much better with the case lube.

Anyway, I left the case lube on after de-bulging and the completed the ammo using a progressive press and carbide dies. The press seems to run much smoother with the cases lubed.

...So I am considering using case lube on all other ammo that does not need to be de-bulged.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
David Bachelder

Yes. I lube all casings with rcbs case lube 2.

Works for me and it doesn't hurt anything.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:05 AM   #3
hodaka

Yes, just a little with a pump spray.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:20 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Usually I put my brass in a plastic bag and spray with furniture wax, mix till all cases are coated. The wax makes the case go through the carbide die like a hot knife through butter.

I really helps if the cases are tumbled/polished first.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:22 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Just with .460 cases. It keeps me from having to stand on the press lever to resize. I don't for other straight walled cases. It doesn't take much.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Salmoneye

I use no lube with carbide dies...
Old December 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

No.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:41 AM   #8
jmorris

Yes, lube them all, makes the process much smoother.

The people I know that don't are the ones that haven't tried it. Generally they don't load rifle rounds so to try it, they would have to go out and buy some.

9 times out of 10 if it's on the shelf and they try it, they keep doing it.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:22 AM   #9
LE-28

I lube all my pistol shells with my carbide dies. It helps keep OAL of the finished product under control, by easing any deflection you would have with the shell plate and your resizing die with a auto progressive press.

I run my loaded pistol rounds through my tumbler for about 10 minutes. That makes them shinney again so I no the lube is off of them.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
jcwit

I spray mine with Blaster spray teflon I got from Menards for free. Arthur in my wrists likes easy.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Hammerhead

With .357 I oil my brass before I resize it.
I use a very lightly oiled cloth to clean the dust off and make resizing much easier, even with carbide.
No, I'm not worried about de-activating the primers.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
tkglazie

When I remember to, I lube a case or two ever couple of boxes. As others have said, this is more for me (in my case, elbow) than for the cartridges
Old December 5, 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
dahermit

All my handgun dies have a carbide sizer, along with my 30 Carbine die. As the manufacturer of the 30 Carbine dies suggest, I lube them, but not handgun cases. The 30 Carbine is straiter walled than the other cases and makes sizing easier. When it comes to lubing handgun cases for use in carbide dies, even though it is not required, it will make sizing easier and will not hurt anything if you do.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
BigJimP

Yes, I lube them all - with a spray lube - regardless. /...makes the press run a lot smoother...
Old December 5, 2012, 01:46 PM   #15
hounddawg

only thing I lube are rifle cases for a full resize (223's for the AR and new cases) and then I use Imperial Sizing Wax. When I first started this stuff I was told not to bother lubing the pistol stuff that was going through a carbide die so I didn't and not had a problem yet
Old December 5, 2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Misssissippi Dave

I use One Shot on about half of my pistol cases when reloading. When the press starts to feel a need for lube I give a shot to the next cases. Do I have to lube? No. It does make the operation easier to do with lubed cases.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #17
schmellba99

Yep. Not only does it make the press operate smoother, but it reduces wear on the dies and helps keep the die from overworking the brass by reducing the friction between the two.

Hornady One Shot or Dillon Case Lube (usually Dillon, because they make some good case lube).

After everything is loaded up, I put all of the loaded rounds into an old towel I have and give a shot of non CFC brake parts cleaner, wrap them up in the towel and jiggle them around. Removes the residue from the lube and I don't have to worry about it deactivating any primer or leaving any residue of itself. Dries fast as well.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:16 PM   #18
Woody55

No. If I don't put lube on, I don't have to take it off.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:54 PM   #19
JerryM

It does make the sizing easier. I use just a squirt of spray a foot or so above the cases. Very little gets on the cases and the die gets rid of it so I never clean it off.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:00 PM   #20
Ozzieman

About one in 50. I only started that when I heard others here talk about it. I use case lube the same as I use for rifle cases.
I have one set of Redding 44 mag dies I used for over 30 years, 10,000 or more and never used any kind of lube. Just cleaned and oiled when I was done using it.
It still works and leaves no marks.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:21 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

I'll put a little Imperial Sizing Wax on the occasional case, but I don't lube everything. (.380, 9mm, .32 H&R, .327 Federal)
Old December 5, 2012, 06:30 PM   #22
tul9033

I use the Hornady One Shot in the aerosol which works great for pistol brass, not so great for rifle. Makes loading much smoother and I think makes the final product a bit more consistent since you aren't fighting the strokes. Plus, you don't have to remove it after.
I lay my brass out on a cookie sheet on its side and give it a light misting.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:27 PM   #23
rclark

No I don't.

Just lube when doing rifle cases.

"de-bulging die " ????
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:00 PM   #24
Slamfire

I got tired of hard sizing 9 mm cases. Darn things were so hard to get in the die that powder would bump out of my Dillion 550B powder measure.

So I lubed the cases with RCBS water soluble. Sizing became effortless. Also left the lube on and fired the cases. Worked fine. Maybe my fingers got a little greasy handling and loading the rounds but it does improve function and is easier on the gun.

If HK uses gas lubrication in their 9mm’s I don’t see a reason why I can’t use liquid lubrication in my autopistols.

Old December 5, 2012, 09:17 PM   #25
Kevin Rohrer

Nope, no need. Only people who have string arms need help from case lube in sizing pistol cases.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer