The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Decent mid priced rings

Hey folks- I have a couple scopes I would like to switch between 2 rifles for hunting and range playing. Im looking for a pair of rings that I can easily take on and off(not QD type they are too heavy I am cool with using an alan key) , are reasonably light, and decent opinions appreciated!
Old June 17, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Look on Ebay for NcStar rings.
I bought some high rings for my Ruger Redhawk. They are a fraction of the price of Ruger rings.
Quality is not what the Rugers are but they are satisfactory. I have been told, but can't verify, that NcStar is the company that makes most other brand rings on the market sold under many names. And, dare I say it??? They are Chinese made.
But, for me, the difference between about $8.00 and $80.00 was a no brainer.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:01 AM   #3
HiBC

Preference enters in here,so,in part,this is about my preference.I prefer the Weaver type base.You do not specify rifle type.If we are talking an AR with picatinny rail,I suggest the integrated ring mount.IMO,best value is the Rock River.

If this is a bolt gun..you say you would like to move the scope between two rifles.

Hmmm.I think with a typical two piece base,that may not work out so well,as the spacing may not be identical between rifles.I mean ring spacing.

I think Leupold offers a one piece return to zero mount.Maybe call their customer service # from the web page and check to see the base for rifle "A" will be compatible with rifle "B"'s base...same ring spacing.

To your original question,the Leupold PRW ring is not light,but it is accurately made and stout,at a reasonable cost.Not cheap,but reasonable.
Old June 19, 2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Picher

The nice thing about Ruger-type detachables is that, should notch locations not match ring spacing, new notches may be cut in bases on one rifle to fit. It doesn't work all the time, but quite often.

The harder part is to mark scopes so they can easily be re-zeroed without shooting, and remembering which setting is for which rifle. Note in the scope cap works pretty well for that.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
jmr40

Any of the Weaver, or Weaver style rings come off quick enough with a screwdriver. I always keep a multi-tool in my pack when hunting anyway. They were never advertised to return to zero, but I've done it many times. I used to have 2 pre-zeroed scopes for the same rifle. Changing between them was always good enough for hunting purposes. If there was any POI change I could never detect it. Might not have been good enough to win a benchrest competition.
Old June 22, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
JerryM

In spite of the fact that they are inexpensive, Weavers work.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 22, 2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Doyle

Why do you think QD rings are unreasonably heavy. I've got a great set of Leupold QD rings and if you put them on a scale compared to a standard base/ring set you MIGHT see a fraction of an ounce differenc.