The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
KevK.

XD40 and Fed. white box.

So, I had some range time yesterday and went through a 50 round box of 40 cal Federal 185gr FMJ. The first time I've ever used the Federal stuff in my XD.

Everytime, while going through a 10 round magazine I would have one FTF (Failure to feed). It was enough that the first time it happened (round 8), I had just thought I miscounted the slide was almost back in the 'locked open' position. I dropped the mag and saw rounds left. I looked at the slide and saw a live round jammed against the feed ramp. I re-inserted the magazine, pulled the slide back slightly and let it go. The slide went into battery just fine and loaded the jammed round. But it was every magazine (not always the 8th round), and would always clear right away. So about 1 in 10 would jam.

I was just plinking at the range, and clearing it was never a problem. At the range is one thing, but out in the world, not good.

I think I'll have to try a few other types of ammo to find the stuff mine likes before I get too nervous about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what caused this? Just the cheap plinking ammo? Or a worn spring? I bought it used but don't have any idea of the round count.

Maybe I didn't relize I was limp wristing it? I'm not a new shooter by any means and 40 cal is not the kickinest round I've fired, but it's still a pretty new weapon to me.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
lee n. field

You XD should have come with two magazines. Does the problem happen with both?

Does the problem happen with any other ammunition?

XD subcompatc, service, or "tactical"?

Have you had this gun long, and if so, has it ever done this before?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 10, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
KevK.

It was jamming with both magazines. It is the Service Model. I've only had it for a few weeks and this was the first time I could get to the range. I bought it used.

So far that's the only ammo I've ran through it. I do plan on going again in the next week or so and trying a few other types of ammo.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
tahunua001

if you bought it used you may do a thorough cleaning before the next trip too, pay special attention to the recoil spring and slide guide rails.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
KevK.

I cleaned it when I brought it home, and cleaned it again after the range time. I didn't see any odd wearing anywhere.

I also have some winchester white box 165 bhp, and I'll be picking up a few different boxes. Any suggestions?
Old February 10, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
I also have some winchester white box 165 bhp, and I'll be picking up a few different boxes. Any suggestions?
Not really. I've never had a problem with any ammo with mine. Wally World White Box, Blazer Brass, it's all been good. (Except problems with some handloads, which meant I needed to correct something.)

If it continues, I'd definately give Springfield Armory a call.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 10, 2013, 11:22 PM   #7
KevK.

I'm going to the range later this week. If it happens again, I'll take some photo's to send share around and probably send to Springfield.