The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Mattp27

Ballistics Programs / Websites

What is a good Ballistics program? I would like one I can enter all my load data like a data base. Also is there any software that will do something like that on an internet site? I have an account setup for a couple websites and a ballistics program that would work on a SQL website.
Old January 22, 2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

JBM ballistics is the best external ballistics site I've found.
Old January 22, 2011, 05:43 PM   #3
jcvibby

I would agree with JBM, very good
Old January 22, 2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Miata Mike

How about a reloaders database for a PALM PDA? I haven't been able to find one. I only need something very simple.
Old January 24, 2011, 01:48 AM   #5
dmazur

I've been very happy with Exbal, by Perry Systems -

http://www.perry-systems.com/

You can enter load data for as many bullet / velocity combinations as you feel like tracking, and save them to disk. (Obviously, so you can recall them later.)

IMO, this isn't the same thing as the reloading log I keep in spreadsheet form. That is a record of each box of ammo I load, with details like case mfg, primer type, powder, bullet mfg and weight, COAL, chrono readings, etc. For the purpose of the ballistics calculator, the bullet type and muzzle velocity are all that matter. For the purpose of keeping track of what you did so you can recreate it, other details can be important.

However, it is an excellent external ballistics program, even supporting things like ballistic reticle analysis.

And the author also offers it in a version that runs on Palm OS. While it doesn't do everything the PC version does, it includes a surprising subset of that program's features. I believe it runs on just about any Palm PDA. I installed it successfully on a Zire 21 (8M of memory) and then reinstalled it when I "moved on" to a Treo 755p (60M of memory).

This Palm version also includes a primitive database, that allows you to save various loads you develop. You can't save arbitrary fields, but you can save ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity and describe the load any way you like in the description field. (Ex: .30-06 Hornady 150gr SST - 2950 fps)

Last edited by dmazur; January 24, 2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Described Palm database
Old January 24, 2011, 02:48 AM   #6
mc223

this one is good with lots of room for accumulating your data

http://www.huntingnut.com/
Old February 2, 2011, 05:01 AM   #7
semi_problomatic

I use bulletflight on my iphone. Also beartooth has http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/ . I just found that tonight while looking for some load data.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:49 PM   #8
azar92

Matt,

I may have missed it but I've not found something that completely fits what you are looking for. There are great external ballistic calculators on-line (like the aforementioned JBM Ballistics) and there are software programs to keep track of your reloading data, but I'm not sure of an on-line one that does both.

You can grab Point Blank for free. There is also Pinsoft's Shoot! (also rebranded by Remington) for $40 (14-day demo), Ballistic Explorer for about $70 (30-day limited demo) and RSI Shooting Lab for $100 (30 day demo). There are others as well, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Personally, I've used Point Blank 1.8a (the older version) for quite a few years to save my reloading data in conjunction with JBM & QuickTarget for external ballistics.