The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 27, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1
roy reali

Crow Eating?

I take my dogs for a walk around this field across the street almost everyday. The last couple of days there have been dozens of crows hanging around these trees in the back part. I found this curious. They would all depart as approached.

I was thinking they had found some food source back there. I think I may be right.

We spotted a covey of quail back there today. I know it is breeding season for the quail. Here is my question.

Could these crows be feeding on quail eggs or hatchlings?
Old March 27, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2
bobelk99

Yes, but not likely that the few eggs would attract dozens.

Crows will eat anything, but it would take 10 coveys to begin to feed dozens of crows.
Old March 27, 2010, 10:03 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Crows will definitely raid nests.
Old March 27, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
roy reali

Adults

Would crows go after adult quail?
Old March 27, 2010, 11:24 PM   #5
shortwave

Don't know about crows eating quail but watched a crow take a pigeon out of the air. Crow hit pigeon hard and feathers went flying. We watched crow pick at pigeon then flew off. Went over and looked at pigeon, crow had eaten most of the breast meat and that was it.
Old March 28, 2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Edward429451

I seen a crow hassling a squirrel once. I don't know if he was serious or just having fun?
I saw a Magpie attack a housecat!
Old March 28, 2010, 04:22 AM   #7
CajunBass

Most likely they've simply found a roost there. Probably a food source somewhere near there. All they need is a highway. As the others have said, they'll eat anything that doesn't eat them first.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 28, 2010, 09:46 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
As the others have said, they'll eat anything that doesn't eat them first.
I have seen both crows and starlings turn down a McDonalds breakfast sausage patty repeatedly... think about that next time you think you want a Sausage Biscuit...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; March 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Pahoo

Crows, Jays and even Blackbirds, will raid a nest. The teamwork of crows, is amazing and they are very protective of their members, especially the young and wounded. They can be called in quite easily !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #10
oneounceload

Quail numbers in the South have been decimated by predators, number 1, loss of habitat, number 2, chemical/insecticides type applications number 3. This study was done, IIRC, by the U of FL folks. Predators for quail range from fire ants to everything that crawls or walks or flies, crows being among the latter as a major scourge.

I would not personally, like to subsist on a diet of crow......

Last edited by oneounceload; March 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old March 29, 2010, 04:20 PM   #11
markj

Get a owl statue, place it in a field on a fence post, wait, them crows will attack the owl you can shoot them crows, some folks eat them.
Old March 29, 2010, 04:44 PM   #12
publius

they are fun to hunt, I've got an electronic call, an owl decoy, a couple of plastic full body crows, and a bunch of crow silhouettes I made out of plywood. Closest thing to duck hunting but harder. Crows are very smart and have very good eyesight.
Old March 29, 2010, 05:02 PM   #13
jammin1237

judging by the size of the crows i have seen around these parts lately, i would say yes they will eat and or attack just about anything... what is even worse they seem to fly around in "packs"... sky wolfs is what i call them, not buzzards... buzzards are lazy, they wait for things to be dead already
Old March 30, 2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Gbro

Quote:
I have seen both crows and starlings turn down a McDonalds breakfast sausage patty repeatedly... think about that next time you think you want a Sausage Biscuit...
I will do just that, NOT!
What a crow will and will not eat isn't something I use to qualify what I eat as good.
Remember, a mosquito bite can kill a crow if the skeeter is carrying West Niles!
that same skeeter will kill a horse if its not inoculated.
Ya some of us have been taken by west niles, but not as a rule. That to me is amazing.
Old March 30, 2010, 08:34 AM   #15
dabigguns357

Quote:
Get a owl statue, place it in a field on a fence post, wait, them crows will attack the owl you can shoot them crows
I used to love to hunt crow this way in AL.Now i live in Wv and it's not as easy.I now listen for them outback of my house,when i hear them close enough,i slip out the back door and nail them sitting in the trees with my sons Marlin model 60 .22 and scope.I usually hit at least one of them before the others scatter.It's clean fun and it keeps the neighborhood cats fed.Nasty birds keep waking me up early in the morning with their ear splitting calls.

Btw they aint that smart, i shoot one of them they scatter but will be right back the next day.Between them and the ground hogs last year,i bet i used at least a box of 550 .22 shells.Infact i'm thinking of stepping up to a bolt action 223 for the long range shots on ground hogs.
Old March 30, 2010, 08:54 AM   #16
Gunplummer

Crow eating?

Years back there was a bunch of wild game recipes in an issue of Pennsylvania game News and crow was on the list. Anybody ever try it?
Old March 30, 2010, 10:10 AM   #17
Pahoo

Quote:
Get a owl statue, place it in a field on a fence post, wait, them crows will attack the owl you can shoot them crows
Good start but now make a Y-shaped harness out of coat hangers and run it up the backside of the owl. At the two top ends, attache short wire leaders or monofilament lines. Then attache a small trebble hook to each and position just behind and above the owls ears. All H*LL will break loose when a crow gets stuck and he calls in every crow in the county. At this point, shotguns are in order. The most important point is to be in full camo and position yourself away and well hidden. Usually I call one "Scout" in and watch for him. I shoot him and start in on a distress call. I don't over-call as they can hear you a mile away. Just sit back and enjoy !!!

Quote:
wild game recipes
Not a problem and just use the good old stand-by:
Breast out about six crown put them in a roasting pan. Dump a can of Cambell's cream of mushroom soup, add some sliced onions and bake for 2hr's at 350Deg. F.
Try it and if you don't like it then you wil know that your shouldn't have cooked them in the first place. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 30, 2010, 10:42 AM   #18
dabigguns357

Yea,no thanks i don't want to get brought up on charges of not feeding my outdoor cats.They need to eat to,plus i don't want another mouth to feed.
Old March 30, 2010, 10:42 AM   #19
Gunplummer

Maybe I will try that recipe when my Mother-In-Law comes over. What is it called, Southern Game Hen?
Old March 30, 2010, 11:26 AM   #20
simonkenton

Here is the web site of a slightly demented guy who was my roomate in college.

http://www.thecrowroost.com/

Jerry is a professional crow hunting guide.
And, he does eat crow! I have had it at his house a dozen times, it is pretty good, dark meat.
Look under "Recipes" if you want to see how the pros cook crow.
Old March 30, 2010, 01:43 PM   #21
mrawesome22

I imagine any meat from an omnivore would be less than tasty.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:11 PM   #22
Gunplummer

Never had bear, but coon isn't bad.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:04 PM   #23
Scorch

When I lived in Nevada 20+ years ago, I knew an old-timer who had a recipe for cooking just about anything that breathed. Some other time, maybe . . .

I have had to eat crow several times in my life, but that's a different story.
Old March 30, 2010, 04:03 PM   #24
Slats

Quote:
Btw they aint that smart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny661wLDSn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijuw...eature=related

The Corvid family (ravens, crows, magpies, jays) of birds is widely regarded as the smartest in the world.

Other than whiskeyjacks (gray jays) we only have ravens up here, and they are huge! Both are very intelligent. It's great entertainment to watch a bunch of ravens tease and torment the local dogs. Illegal to shoot them though.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:25 PM   #25
jammin1237

i think birds could be pretty much be placed into two categories -- predatory(the hunters) and non predatory(the scavengers) -- given a chance, i would eat any one of them...

speaking of what predatory birds are capable of, check this eagle out, i know its been around a while -- but crows can do the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adfk_RSndb4