The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
David R. Svatos

03 Springfield barrel change

I have a 03 Springfield and want to change the barrel. I live just outside of Oregon City, OR
Can anybody recommend a good shop or individual locally that could do this for me?
Also,is there anyone in the area that I should stay away from? Thanks
Old November 23, 2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Powderman

Ask, and you shall have new barrels:

http://www.pac-nor.com/
Old November 24, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3
David R. Svatos

03barrel

I have already found a barrel, I need to have it checked out and if it looks good get it installed.
I'm looking for someone locally with the tools and experience to do this for me. I really lucked out,my receiver is dated 1919 and the new barrel is dated 4/19 . I'm trying to unsporterize it and put it back to original. Still need a front sight though.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

See if you can find even a fellow shooter who has a bore scope. That can reveal issues that looking down the bore from the end does not. I've also had the experience of having a Springfield barrel that looked unrusted but that actually turned out to have pitting that had been glazed over by carbon until it looked like rifling. Wet the chamber and bore with Gunzilla and let it sit for a month then patch it out and see if anything like that has been loosened up. If you want to go faster, plug the muzzle with a Neoprene stopper and fill the thing with Slip 2000 Carbon Killer and let it sit for three or four hours, then drain it back into the can or into a secondary container (it's still good at that point) and patch and brush it out. The only caution I have is that this stuff will mark Parkerizing when it's on it this long, so don't let it sit on the finish. The Gunzilla won't hurt anything. It's just slow with aged, hardened carbon.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle