The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 20, 2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Deerhunter264

Trapping Help

I would like to know the average prices for furs, but i can not find a website that tell. Does anyone know of a good website.? i live in illinois also.
Old September 20, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Daryl

Try Fur-Fish-Game magazine. You might have to subscribe to it, but it'll keep you updated.

Also check information on trapperman.com.

Daryl
Old September 20, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

Try here http://www.gfwco.com/ and here http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...Board/1/page/1

LK

BTW, Fish, Fur and Game has the worst predictions. Never seen em be right.
Old September 20, 2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Daryl

Quote:
BTW, Fish, Fur and Game has the worst predictions. Never seen em be right.
I've never seen any of 'em worth a darn, but they try.

It's a tough market to predict these days.

Daryl
Old September 21, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
FrontSight

North American Fur Auctions is one site.

http://www.nafa.ca/page.asp?trapper/shipping/index.asp

You might have good luck on e-bay too, tho!

Per their site:

Market Updates
Market Update - July 28, 2009
Market Update - June 16, 2009
Market Update - April 15, 2009
Market Update: Castoreum - April 14, 2009
Market Update - March 31, 2009
Market Update: China - January 28, 2009
Market Update - January 07, 2009
Market Update - December 23, 2008
Market Update - November 21, 2008
Market Update - November 10, 2008
2009 Wild Fur Forecast - August 22, 2008

Important Notices
PRESS RELEASE: NAFA Management Appointments - August 26, 2009
NAFA Recognizes trappers for generous donations to help Meagan Imrie go for gold in 2010
NAFA Charity Auction for Italian Earthquake Victims
Leonard Werner Memorial Scholarship (Fillable-Form PDF)
New Collector in Alaska - April 1, 2009
NOTICE to Our Wild Fur Producers - March 5, 2009
UPDATE to Our Wild Fur Producers - March 6, 2009
NAFA’s GALLERY N at Hong Kong Fur Fair February 27, 2009
Important Message to Our Wild Fur Producers from the President - February 23, 2009
Market Bulletin: Beijing Fur Fair - January 20, 2009
WFSC 2008 Rebate
NAFA Wild Fur Sales reports

Press Releases
Dennis Basso Opens Harbin Fur Shop - December 18, 2008
NAFA's Gala Show Highlights China Fur Market's Anniversary - December 17, 2008

Why Ship to NAFA?
The world's largest and oldest Wild Fur Auction, professionally managed and now owned by trappers.
The only auction company willing to spend money to protect your future through international promotion of Wild Fur.
Largest buyer attendance guarantees highest prices and clearances for Wild Fur. Large can be beautiful, especially when it means more buyers bidding.
NAFA offers our shippers on-line access to their accounts. You can securely view receipts, lotting letters, sales summaries and financial statements.
Access your account on our web site by completing our Registration Form.

First-Time Shippers
You do not need to have an account number before sending your skins; an account will be created for you after your first shipment.
Shippers have the option of joining NAFA's Wild Fur Shippers Council (more on WFSC benefits...). As a NAFA shareholder, the WFSC gives trappers a voice in guiding NAFA's operations.
Carefully read "Shipping Info" and "Conditions of Sale" for your country to ensure you know the shipping requirements.
Pelts can be shipped directly to NAFA, dropped off at a NAFA Depot or given to one of our collectors on a pick-up route.
Please be aware of the last receiving dates for each auction, some collectors have earlier last receiving dates.
Pelt Handling information can be found in NAFA's Anniversary 2004 issue magazine.
Access your account on our web site by completing our Registration Form.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:57 PM   #6
langenc

If you are in it for the money-just stay home.

Around here, this season-coon-dont bother. Fox coyote not much better.

Muskrat-$3 if lucky for the larges-prime. Might be a good time to get em tanned for your own use.

For tanning use Moyle Mink in Idaho.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Deerhunter264

Well im not only in it for the money but for the experience but whats the point of it if it is just paying for the gas to drive around and no aniimal is worth only 3 dollars
Old September 22, 2009, 06:41 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My pop told me last year one of my cousins... 3 rd cousin twice removed... in law or something sold 3 coon hides last year for way over a hunert each with one bringing $140 and one was $131... I simply called poo-poo but pop swears those were what he was told... I am betting someone peed on my dad's leg and told him it was rain... I heard of no coon over 7 or 14 bucks last season in the cold states... Heck I ain't seen a fur broker since I was 14 in the early eighties...
Brent
Old September 22, 2009, 09:09 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

Quote:
and no aniimal is worth only 3 dollars
Wanna bet?

LK
Old September 23, 2009, 03:25 AM   #10
impalacustom

I am with you Brent, I haven't trapped since the early to mid eighties with my brother.

Let me tell you if you want experience trapping is one heck of a hard way to get it. I still can remember chopping through a lot of ice to set the conabears. Pelt prices were not bad at that time. We flesched and dried them and sent them somewhere in Canada then though. Prices were good then, until the greenies took the fur to a new level of tree huggerism. I think we were getting around $2-5/muskrat and about $15-30 for a beaver depeding on the quality. Don't quote me though cause I only really remember the cold, cold, COLD work and the work of skinning, fleshing and stretching. We also sold the glands for some money too, not sure if they still do that though.

I got so good at skinning I could keep the eyelashes on the pelts.
Old September 24, 2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Deerhunter264

maybe an animal is not worht 3 dollars but that is a waste of my time and ill just be paying for gas with 3 dollars
Old September 24, 2009, 06:56 PM   #12
L_Killkenny

Quote:
maybe an animal is not worht 3 dollars but that is a waste of my time and ill just be paying for gas with 3 dollars
That's right, it will just pay for gas and some supplies. Less than that starting out. But it will also pay for a whole bunch of fun and experience that only a trapper can get. Trappers know more about critters then any other form animal harvest. They have to.

But as already stated, if you're in it for the money than do us all a favor and stay out. Too many of those "wanna-be's" out there all ready. In the 80's you could make a years worth of house payments in a couple weeks. Some trappers bought new trucks with their take. It takes a great trapper today just to make Xmas money.

LK
Old September 24, 2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Deerhunter264

I have traped years before i just wanted to no if it was worth my time this year