The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 1999, 08:02 PM   #1
spleenandideal

Howdy~
Anyone know of the best way to clean out the chambers of a Model 66 S&W in stainless steel?
Apparently, the original owner only shot lead cast .38 special, and the forward portions of each chamber is really fouled. I tried using hoppes#9 and several bronze brushes, but it seems futile.... Anyone have any suggestions about solvents, tools, etc? I'm trying to avoid having to pick at it with a dental tool. It's worse than cleaning the crud out of an AR15 bolt carrier! Thanks
Old November 22, 1999, 09:00 PM   #2
Jim V

There is the LEWIS LEAD REMOVER, bronze wool wraped around a brass bore brush, Sweet's Australian 7.62 Bore Cleaner, and 10mmrules' suggestion of a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (see: HANDGUNS and PISTOLCRAFT forum.)

Adding hydrogen peroxide to Sweet's helps it cut lead better too.
Old November 23, 1999, 04:36 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Use an old .38 caliber brush and wrap some copper Choir Boy (go to your cleaning supplies of your local supermarket). Use a little solvent and Choir Boy makes for fast cleaning!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 23, 1999, 09:16 PM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

Get a Hoppe's Tornado bore bush, it'll get out 99% of the lead & crud. Finish up with some J&B Bore Cleaner. J&B and an old tooth bush will also clean the fouling off the cylinder face in about 90 seconds. Both products are available from LOCK, STOCK, & BARREL http://www.lockstock.com/
-- Kernel
Old November 28, 1999, 09:03 AM   #5
BBINJ

By far the fastest and best method here would be one of those lead removal reamers that Brownells sells, but BE CAREFUL! Its not brain surgery by any means, just remember that the reamer is going to remove the lead very quickly - too much and you'll be cutting steel. Making patches out of one of those "lead wipe" cloths (I think RIG makes them) works OK too, just slower.
Old November 28, 1999, 11:28 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Those Lead-Wipe Away patches/cloth works great...but be careful not to touch the surface metal as it also removes bluing.

Also be sparing in your application of the stainless Tornado brushes. Use it sparingly as stainless steel will abrade against the gun itself. There is a brass version of that brush you may want to consider.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited November 28, 1999).]
Old November 29, 1999, 10:21 PM   #7
spleenandideal

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Gary, I tried the tornado brush, and it worked great. Unfortunately I didn't know they made brass versions. Any info on where I can mail-order them? I don't see them in Sinclair or an old Midway catalog.