The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2001, 10:27 AM   #1
TwoRavens

Custom HD Shotgun Makers

Anybody got any info on the strenghts weaknesses of the guys who do refits for combat shotguns e.g. Scattergun, Vang, Wilson? Any Others?

Thanks,
Molon Labe
Old October 22, 2001, 10:44 AM   #2
scouter27

Scattergun and Wilson are the same
Old October 22, 2001, 11:17 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Wilson,Vang, etc, all do good work.

Upside:

Good work, good servicing.

Downside:

Expensive, and lots of it can be done by anyone smart enough to find this site on the Net. Most of the work on my two "Serious" 870s was done by me, and I'm definitely no smith.

An absolutely stock,short bbled 870 is an awesome close range weapon.

So are other good shotguns.

If you are trained and practiced enough that the only real improvement possible is an equipment upgrade,then Vang, Wilson, et al may be the next step.First, I'd do what I could and then farm out the remainder. This would include cone and choke work, trigger work(if needed) and maybe stock fitting.

HTH....
Old October 22, 2001, 05:14 PM   #4
Coronach

Vang: Spendy, but sweet!

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 22, 2001, 07:40 PM   #5
Mo_Zam_Beek

Dave, generally speaking what is the trigger pull on a 870 / 590?

Have you ever shot one with a trigger job? Was it faster / better on say a steel course?

TwoRavens (cool name)

Dave is right a lot of what the specialty guys do is something that most of us could do. Esp SGT. Vang's back boring and porting can be done by some local smiths as well. Although the local smith SGs that I have seen and fired like this were not that impressive. My understanding is it is a bit more tricky than reaming it out a bit and poking a couple holes in the top o dee tube.

Personally, SGT - aside from parking the gun and ghost ring sights - I am not really sure what someone is paying for.

Anyway, to each his/her own

good luck to all
Old October 23, 2001, 07:05 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kuhnhausen says(I KNEW that book would come in handy) that factory Min/Max trigger weight is 3 1/2-6 1/2 lbs. Both of my "Serious" 870s have pulls under 4 lbs, and my TB has a 3 3/4 lb pull. All pulls are clean, w/o overtravel and little creep.

BTW, a quick fix for overtravel is a piece of pencil eraser superglued to the guard behind the trigger. Cut to fit after mounting.

Never had Frank's trigger measured, but it's about the same. The 20 ga Youth Express runs under 5.That's the newest in the battery, about 95 or so.BTW, slug groups with the RS, fixed IC choke slug bbl run 3" at 50 yards with the Rottweil Brennekes,tho recoil is,uh,stout. I'd use that one more for deer but my old eyes do not so well with those sights.

Can't say about the Mossies, but I'd be surprised if any come from the factory with weights this good.The 835 I shot once recently had a heavier but controllable trigger.Practically ALL modern US made shotguns have decent slap triggers, tho a rifle style trigger is best for max effectiveness.

As for steel, I didn't see much difference in times pre and post trigger work. However, we're talking about a trigger job that removed at most 1- 1 1/2 lbs. Slug groups did improve.

I note that trap guns all have good triggers. That's a short time frame game that demands consistency, tho not short lock time. Some trap legends have pulls down to 1 lb, but I sure do not recommend going that light on a gamer gun and NEVER on a field or "Serious" gun.