The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 3, 2013, 12:06 AM   #1
BigMike349

Testing cycling of SWC in my Winchester 1892

I've never even tried using SWC in my Winchester 1892 but I am thinking of giving it a try. I really want to see if the buffalo bore 45 colt item 3E will cycle through the action. I sent a message in to buffalo bore and they said the OAL would work with the short action but I've heard some horror stories with people getting SWCs so jammed up they have to disassemble the gun. Meanwhile, others have no problem cycling SWCs through the action. Should I even try cycling them through? what would be the best way to test it? should I visit my local gunsmith before attempting to get his opinion?

Thanks,
Mike
Old August 3, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
PawPaw

Try it. You will probably be favorably surprised. The main issue with lever gun feeding is over-hype. And cycling the lever. Take it completely down and forward in one movement, then bring it completely up and back in one movement. As long as your COAL is good, the rifle will probably cycle, feed, and extract just fine.

I wouldn't be afraid to try semiwadcutters in a model 92. Do you reload? Make a dummy, no powder or primer, and give it a whirl.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Make a dummy, no powder or primer, and give it a whirl.
This is what I did with my Ross 92, fed fine.

Tags
1892 , lever action , swc , winchester