The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2013, 02:01 PM   #1
fshfindr

What Gloves Do You Wear?

I know that when smelting boolets and when assembling them, one should wear gloves. So when using my press to assemble them, I wear mechanics plastic gloves, sometimes on only one hand. They are alright until I must place my boolet into a shell. I do it but it is unwieldy. As to smelting, I know it is foolish to use my bare fingers. The plastic mechanics gloves would offer little protection. I have tried to wear heavy protective work gloves but they are just too unwieldy, actually I think they are flat out dangerous. They are larger than necessary and get in the way. So I was wondering what you guys use for hand protection. Thanks,
Old May 12, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Shootest

When casting I wear welders gloves, molten lead is just to hot to risk it. Wile loading I’m bare handed, lead can’t be absorbed through the skin so no need for gloves, as long as you wash up afterwards.
Old May 12, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Hawg

I don't wear gloves at all. I'm more prone to burns while wearing them than when I'm not. In the 44 years I've been casting the worst thing I've ever done(knock on wood)is drop a fresh cut sprue that fell inside my sneaker with no socks.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #4
ricklaut

I wear thick welding gloves when smelting & casting. When I first started, they were unwieldily, but I took it slow and worked carefully & methodically with them on. Like anything, muscle memory develops and now it's second nature - it's almost as if they aren't there.

When loading boolits? No gloves.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:54 AM   #5
LAH

I wear no gloves while loading ammo. I do wear a glove on my right hand while casting.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Pahoo

Course weave cotton

While smelting and casting, I wear a pair of course weave cotton gloves. Just plain old garden variety work gloves that breath well and afford good protection. These are the ones that you can buy in a bundls of ten or so, from Walmart or Menard's which is a large local builders supply store. They are white with a green band on the cuff. I rarely get burned and never lose the feel. ....

Wear then and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 13, 2013, 02:49 PM   #7
David Bachelder

No gloves here. Gloves always feel awkward to me, I don't normally wear them ..... at all. Sometimes when using the chain saw or things like that.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I load bare handed. I wash my hands whenever I am done. Simple, and easy.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Mike / Tx

I wear leather gloves when smelting and casting. Not the real thick ones but some that are very pliable and supple enough to conform to my fat fingers. Something very similar to these,

If you go to the stores like Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight you will find they have a variety, I use the thickest I can find that are soft and pliable, so as not to make holding or picking up things an issue. Being a fitter/welder for close to a dozen or so years really prepped me for working with hot stuff. I learned what to be aware of and how to keep it from getting on me in the first place.

When I am sizing or loading the only time I wear them is if I have some tacky type of lube and don't want the gunk on my fingers. Usually when I tumble lube I will wear one of the latex type disposables on one hand so I can reach in and pick out the bullets. Like mentioned when done with loading or handling bare bullets I always wash up using a soap with some sort of grit to it like Lava or one of the similar type liquid hand soaps found at auto part supply.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:39 PM   #10
jcwit

I wear no gloves while smelting, casting, or when reloading. I have burned myself a few times, but then I heal with little problem.

I've hurt myself much worse while working in a cabinet shop, as in ripping, not cutting but ripping 2 fingers off my hand, this too healed and they both work just fine.

BTW, I've been reloading and casting since the 1960's.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:46 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

At the reloading bench, I don't wear any gloves. I just wash my hands when I'm done.

When casting or smelting, I wear welders' gloves. They're thick and obnoxious, but I like my hands the way they are.
Since I cut sprues by hand (not with a mallet), I also need that protection for normal operation.
Old May 14, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
wncchester

I've been casting and loading cast bullets since '65. I make no suggestions for how others should work but I wore leather work gloves for maybe the first 15-20 minutes of my casting career, never for loading.

I don't lick the gray off my fingers and my blood lead level was low the one time it was tested. (And I don't worry about lead 'dust' from tumbling either.)
Old May 14, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
LAH

Quote:
I wear leather gloves when smelting and casting. Not the real thick ones but some that are very pliable and supple enough to conform to my fat fingers.
Fat fingers????? Do you belong to the mob?
Old May 15, 2013, 02:47 AM   #14
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Fat fingers????? Do you belong to the mob?
Naaa, just been a mechanic, millwright, welder, fitter, for the past 30'ish years. Pulling wrenches along with plenty of other neat hand tools used in the industry.

Besides you know the saying, big hands, big feet......
Old May 15, 2013, 05:15 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The only time I wear a heavy canvas glove is when I'm scooping the leads impurities off its surface melt. Having a glove on helps in that circumstance because of the extreme heat been ratitated. And the necessity of using a short handled table spoon. Otherwise no glove's worn. Have encountered little accidental splash burns here and there during my casting session's. But nothing too overwhelming so far. (knock on wood)