The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 12, 2016, 08:05 AM   #1
Skans

PTR-32 (7.62x39) Opinions...

I like the idea of the PTR in the 7.62x39 caliber, mainly because ammo cost is cheap as well as larger capacity. And, in something that's NOT an AK. What do folks think about the PTR-32? What magazines does it accept?
Old October 12, 2016, 09:40 AM   #2
ttarp

I can only offer hearsay, but supposedly the current rifles accept most plastic mags in addition to the magpul it ships with, but I don't think they take metal mags at all.

Personally I like the idea of them, since I have the G3 design in .308, .223, and 9mm, I plan to round out the collection eventually.

Keep in mind its a heavy rifle, that seems to be one of the more common complaints.
Old October 13, 2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Model12Win

Decent guns but the 7.62x51mm NATO versions are far better at long range.
Old October 14, 2016, 07:15 AM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

I really like mine.

Ive put probably 300 rds through it. Works great, no stopages. Used cheap steel case ammo too. Its heavy, but you already knew that. Given all the other stuff you like, I'm sure you will be happy with the rifle.
Old October 14, 2016, 05:55 PM   #5
smee78

I like these rifles and have thought about adding one to the collection but haven't done it yet. It is a interesting rifle and would love to shoot it before I decide.
Old October 14, 2016, 09:04 PM   #6
P71pilot

I think for the cartridge, you would be better off with a high quality AK. The AK will weigh less, be handier, and flat out more reliable. As well as accepting and standard AK mag.
Old October 14, 2016, 09:37 PM   #7
dakota.potts

I wonder if there is truth to the AK being more reliable than the PTR? I understand the AK reliability legend status, but HK roller delayed blowback rifles are not known to be slouches in that department either. With no gas system and steel cases that don't expand much into the chamber I don't see many weak points in the PTR.

The PTR is probably the superior platform for mounting optics and I personally prefer the iron sights to the Russian style. It is heavy though and if the HK91 and CETME trigger packs are any indication, I wouldn't be surprised if the stock trigger is heavier than an AK
Old October 15, 2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Olympus

Mr Gunsngear has a video on Youtube and he goes through a whole assortment of different mags showing which ones work.