The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Gabe1519

Picking up brass at ranges

Is there an etiquette or hidden rule you must follow when picking up brass at ranges or is it all up for grabs? I was thinking of going to a few local ranges just to pick up brass. My thoughts were that going close to opening or closing times would be best so it is not so crowded and I dont end up picking up brass near someone that wants to pick up their own. I'm sure each range has their own rules and it is best to ask before going. What are your thoughts/experiences on this subject?
Old January 2, 2014, 04:29 PM   #2
jwrowland77

Picking up brass at ranges

At the range I shoot, you are only supposed to pick up brass in your area during hours. If someone leaves and nobody goes to that bench, I'll pick up brass that's close. They know I reload and know me by name so they normally don't say anything.

I normally go during hours when it's closed though, that way I can just walk the line and pick up brass. I also take rubber gloves to go brass diving. Lol. You can find some really nice brass, brass diving for it. Most of the stuff in there has never seen the concrete floor.
Old January 2, 2014, 04:53 PM   #3
madmo44mag

Well the only way to describe me is a "brass whore"
The range we shoot at knows me well and anything in our bay is free for the taking.
Some range trips I come home with twice the brass I left with.

As for etiquette - always ask first.
Some ranges once the brass hits the floor they consider it theirs.
I also always ask people shooting around me if they collect their brass
If they do, I help them out which always goes a long ways to making good range friends.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Marco Califo

The etiquette is that you must ask first. If it is the shooter next to you, or, at the range when they are gone. Each range usually has their own rules and you should know them before grabbing. Once you ask and tell them what you want, they may steer you to a big supply, or allow you to police your neighbors 40 or 9mm. You should realize that once fired brass has some value, more so in rifle calibers, and it is not necessarily free if on the ground. Once they pick or sweep it up, it is probably no longer available for free.
I have found the best free pickings to be at informal (and sometime illegal) shooting sites. In particular I have collected a lot of 223 which I am sure came out of someones semi-auto. I clean them up, toss the bad ones, and use them for "any brass" type loads (i.e. 25 grs H335 or WC844 and 55 gr whatever) for my bolt gun.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:07 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

The only brass I pick up is the 30'06 when I shoot my Garand. Other than that, anyone is free to pick up my 45acp or 9mm or 5.56 if they desire. A simple polite question to shooters is all thats needed as far as I am concerned. Worst a person can say is 'no'.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

The only place near me that still allows reloads sells the brass. It is also where I buy brass when I need it and prefer them to be once shot brass. Since re-loaders generally pick up their brass, the once fired brass makes up better than 98% of the brass they sell.

The only time I would pick up someone else's brass is if they were reloaded already and didn't want them. I would definitely ask as well. I have almost 100 rounds of 38 brass that someone did just that and I brought it home rather than see it go into the brass pile for resale.

I did have a guy picking up my brass one time without asking and I asked him not to do it. I like to track my reloads and recycle the brass when they start reaching the end of their cycle so that they don't end up in a bag for re-sale. I know a little border line OCD, but my guns and reloading is one thing I am a little anal about.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Ritz

If someone next to me is shooting a caliber that I'd want brass for, I ask them if they'd like help collecting their brass. If they say, "nah, I'm just leaving it" then I ask if they'd mind if I took it. Either way, you usually wind up with someone who appreciates the help.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:50 PM   #8
mnoirot64

I always ask. Most people that go to my ranges do not reload so they do not care if I pick them up. While I am a borderline brass whore, I only pick up brass for calibers I do reload.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old January 2, 2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Gabe1519

Yeah that is true, I didn't think about looking at the informal sites. Although I'm not sure where to look around the Cypress area of Houston where I live. Under bridges along rivers would be my guess or gravel pits.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Marco Califo

Gabe, In California we have many deserts, including a lot of old one time military bases, some with abandoned buildings that have been shot to hell.
National forests or BLM lands are another possibility. It seems anywhere there is a good backstop and no neighbors to complain, you might be stepping on brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 099.jpg (239.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 105.jpg (204.4 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:21 PM   #11
4runnerman

I have been scrounging brass for 2 years now. The range I go to is unattended and free. I usually go at 5 AM and pick up before people get there. There are certain rules you need to follow, Ask before you pick up someones brass,Stay out of their way. I almost always come home with 20 lbs plus of brass. I have a $600.00 order that I am shipping out this weekend.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:29 PM   #12
Merad

At the indoor range I only pick up what's in my lane, or brass that's obviously mine but has bounced over in another lane. At the outdoor range, I usually ask people if they mind me cleaning up behind them.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:17 PM   #13
FloridaGuy

At the range I shoot at, you are only supposed to pick up brass in your area. If someone leaves and nobody goes to that bench, I'll pick up the brass left by that shoot. I will also pickup brass that is in any empty lanes. They know I reload and know me by name so they don't say anything.

During the week I normally go right before they close that way I can pickup any brass left on the floor. I usually end up with 10 - 20 pounds of brass a week. I pick up all brass that I can find what I don't reload I trade to another reloader for a discount on loaded ammo.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old January 2, 2014, 11:55 PM   #14
Tex S

Hey Marco, why would you shoot up something that doesn't belong to you??? And then post it on the net for everybody to see???

Boneheads like you create problems for ethical shooters like me.

I hope a mod deletes your post. It doesn't seem to fit well with the theme on this site.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:58 AM   #15
rebs

I take brass that the shooter gives to me because he doesn't reload and he knows it is only once fired. I will pick up brass that still has a crimped in primer as that shows it is only once fired.
Old January 3, 2014, 01:28 PM   #16
buck460XVR

Common courtesy and making sure you follow the rules is what I go by. To me, Brass belongs to the shooter till they leave. If it does not belong to the range after that(by their rules) then it's fair game. Even if told I can have it, I do not disturb that shooter or any others to retrieve it. Most ranges do not allow non-members on the grounds to pick-up brass and consider this as trespassing.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:15 PM   #17
FloridaGuy

Most of the ranges locally here in the Tampa Florida area do no allow you to pick up your brass or anyone else's . Once it hits the floor it is the property of the range. They do make exception if they know you.

Old January 3, 2014, 03:06 PM   #18
4runnerman

Floridaguy--You can't pick up your own brass?. This is a range that would never see me.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:23 PM   #19
FloridaGuy

4runnerman - There are 7 ranges local to me. Out of that 7 only 2 allow you to pick up any brass after it hits the floor. Also only 2 ranges will allow you to shoot reloads. The others actually inspect your ammo before you are aloud onto the range.

Old January 3, 2014, 03:51 PM   #20
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by 4runnerman:

Floridaguy--You can't pick up your own brass?. This is a range that would never see me.
That too surprises me, but from what I understand, there are many folk out there that have few if any options. When the cost of gas to get to a range less restrictive, or the fees for shooting at a range less restrictive, are more than what one saves by scrounging brass, the choice is obvious.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:10 PM   #21
mozeppa

hey tex x ...

where did marco say he was shooting up something that didn't belong to him?

where is the source of your ethical non bone head anger?
Old January 3, 2014, 06:38 PM   #22
Daffy

Thanks all for reminding me why I love country living so much.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:04 PM   #23
marine6680

I ask people shooting next to me if they want their brass, if not, I ask if I can have it... Only in calibers I shoot though, and ATM only .223, as I have plenty of my own one fired in my pistols.

I do not bother the person to get at brass, I only get what I can reach without disturbing them. Usually, they will push the brass my way when doing their own clean up.

The range is pretty lenient, more so to regulars. They also sell reloading supplies and components, so while they may not make a sale on brass that I pick up, they do make a sale from me on powder and other components.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:41 PM   #24
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
hey tex x ...

where did marco say he was shooting up something that didn't belong to him?

where is the source of your ethical non bone head anger?
Marco edited it.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:38 PM   #25
tobnpr

I don't pick up...
But if there's someone shooting factory ammo in a caliber I shoot and I see them leaving it on the concrete, I've been known to ask to buy it...
Usually they'll just say have at it.
www.biggorillagunworks.com