The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2012, 07:43 AM   #1
rhoffler

Best Autoloader

Ok in your opion whats the best semi auto shot gun and why
Old February 14, 2012, 07:56 AM   #2
jmr40

Clay shooting: Beretta
Hunting: Benelli

I've tried most all of them. These 2 offer the best reliability, and performance. They point and balance well.

The Beretta is gas opertate and a little heavier. This helps tame recoil for those situations where lots of shells are fired at the range. It is still quite a bit lighter than the 11-87 which would be a contender for a clay shooting gun also.

The inertia operated Benelli's are a lot lighter and simpler to clean than the much more complex Beretta. In a hunting shotgun that is carried a lot more than shot I'll take the lighter, simpler action anytime. I don't want to shoot 3.5" shells, so I prefer the M-1, or M-2 over the Super Black Eagle, but know lots of guys who shoot the SBE and are happy with them.

Under normal range conditions I'd say both are equally reliable, but in the mud and dirt encountered in hunting situations I'd give the reliability edge to the Benelli.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Tombstonejim

I really like Benelli Super Sports. Recoil reduction system, adjustable stocks, 5 chokes, and ported all from the factory.
Old February 14, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
matthew261

I'm a Benelli fan, but I've also enjoyed wing and clay shooting with a Browning 20 ga. for many years. As with most firearm choices it has to be the right one for you. My first cousin and I have been hunting and shooting together for over 30 years and our firearm choices couldn't be more diverse. What works best for me is cumbersome to him and vice versa.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
BigJimP

Best for what ...???

The semi-auto I've bought - for a backup clays gun --- is the Benelli SuperSport in 12ga and a 20ga ...and it does everthing pretty well ...but as a dedicated waterfowl gun, it may not be your best choice...
Old February 14, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Virginian

Been shooting Remington 1100s for 49 years, and still have the original and three others. I have owned or shot just about everything else too, and have yet to come across anything I like better... not counting a few SxSs. I like them because I shoot them better than anything else, like the feel, and the ergonomics. The Berettas are well built by and large, I just prefer the feel of the Remingtons. Don't like Benellis or the inertia clones, or anything with a barrel that moves. I have boat paddles and am careful enough I have never had to use the gun to beat snakes off, although I have shot a few, so those are non-issues for me.
With decent care I believe reliability is just about a non-issue between the name brand semi autos. Of course any recalcitrant mechanical device will seek out the mechanically disinclined every time, as you can peruse the forums and see. I sold and worked on guns for many years and in my opinion 99%+ of gun problems are not the gun's fault.
BTW, I shoot waterfowl, doves, an occasional pheasant or quail, and some clay pigeons. Less than I used to.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:17 PM   #7
primerman

No votes for the Benelli Vinci?
Old February 14, 2012, 08:25 PM   #8
oneounceload

Don't forget one of the various Beretta A400 series as well

Until the OP defines the usage a little better, all answers are just like spitting into the wind

Last edited by Dave McC; February 15, 2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: G rated, family friendly board....
Old February 14, 2012, 10:14 PM   #9
primerman

I thought he was just asking for your opinion.

Last edited by Dave McC; February 15, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Same as above...
Old February 15, 2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"Best" is a slippery term, for autoloaders among many other things.

A well worn A 5 first used by an ancestor may be best.

The Italian Cosmi, which are bespoke shotguns made solely to order like Purdey, and cost as much as a new truck,may be best.

A tweaked Saiga may be best.

Or a Maxus, Xtreme,SX3, 1100 or one of the many Benellis may be best.

Define the mission, then we'll be better able to give you some choices.....