The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 8, 2000, 11:14 AM   #1
foxfire

Ok guys, before you laugh me out of here, remember I'm still a 'newbie' at TFL. Only been a member for 15 days. Please explain (one more time) why a chat room hasn't been incorporated into TFL format? Looks like you have plenty of knowledgeable and friendly members to monitor the discussions that would flow back and forth. What is/are the problem(s)?
I'm ducking and waiting for the shrapnel to come my way...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...
Old January 8, 2000, 04:39 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

INCOMING!

Only kidding, FoxFire. The best way to explain it is market niche. When we started TFL, we were aware of the plethora of Chat's and unmonitored mail lists and discussion sites. We wanted to fill a different niche... a serious site that we could be proud of for a few years.

The fact that we have no chat room is not to say that we disdain the concept...in fact HS, one of our Aussie Plankholders, maintains a real good one on Saturday mornings. Check his site out at www.angelfire.com/hi/ParaOrdnanceFanClub/index.html
I believe that Spark and the guys at www.bladeforums.com may also still have one.

Rich
Old January 8, 2000, 05:21 PM   #3
boing

Glock Talk and Rugerforum both have chat rooms. Glock Chat has a lot of traffic on 2nd and 3rd shift, there's almost always someone in there. The Ruger Chat is kind of new (Thanks Nick!), and we're trying to get some more folks in there. Here are the links:

Glock Chat

Ruger Chat

You'll find just about everything under discussion, from guns (Glock vs 1911 vs Ruger) to recipes ("should I use butter or margarine?"), and you might even see my Mom in there.

[This message has been edited by boing (edited January 08, 2000).]
Old January 8, 2000, 05:30 PM   #4
foxfire

Rich,
Thanks for the info. I guess you're right; using the forums certainly raises the level of intelligent conversations around here. Well, at least, some of the time.
You've got a good thing going on here. But I think you already know that. I'm glad I found this place. Hope you don't mind having me around for awhile...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...