The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 17, 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
JB Books

Flitz

What is your experience with FLITZ?

I have used it to clean some old nickle pistols, but other than that I have never used it on blued guns.

I'd like some feedback.

Thanks.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Harry Callahan

I use it on everything without a porous finish. Good stuff!
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old April 17, 2008, 06:06 PM   #3
JWT

Have used it quite a bit on stainless guns and it is great stuff. Used it once, very lightly, to remove a bit of rust on a blued rifle, again with good results.

( I've also used it on plexiglass to polish out and remove scratches)
Old April 17, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
pistolet1

J B Books

I've used it on brass, chrome, copper, stainless steel, nickel, chrome, silver, gold, and blued firearms. I have never had any damage or abrasion to any blued finish that I've used it on.
Old April 17, 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
parrothead2581

Used it lightly on a blued gun when I was younger and it took the finish off.

Good for SS guns. Mother's Mag Polish is highly recommended here as well.

I've found a microfiber cloth to really bring out the shine on a blued gun.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:03 PM   #6
pg43

Flitz is a great product. I think they've been making that stuff for around 30 years.
It is totally safe on Factory Hot Bluing. The product has no abrasives and is even safe inside the barrel.
Flitz has a long list of champion competition shooters who claim Flitz is a necessity.
Recently the company came out with a rifle/gun and
knife wax. It comes in a spray that can be used on everything from wood stocks
to stainless steel and plastics. Here's a link to their website if you want it.
http://www.flitz.com/april_specials.html
Hope this info helps.
Oh yes. A good microfiber cloth is a must.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:11 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Don't believe that Flitz is not abrasive! It certainly is.
It is a fine abrasive, to be sure, but it is definitely abrasive. Used excessively it will damage bluing and plating.
Flitz is a good polish, but you simply can not polish without abrasion.
Old April 18, 2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Martyn4802

What Bill DeShivs said. It does have an abrasive in it, however it is a very fine abrasive. Happitch Simichrome, JB Bore Paste and JB Bore Bright are more abarasive than Flitz. I use Flitz as the final polish on knives I make.

Martyn
Old April 18, 2008, 09:50 AM   #9
10-96

Marty-
Thanks for that post- I was wonderin how Flitz fit in the whole scheme of things with Simichrome. Somebody ran off with the last tube of Flitz I had... still got a death grip on my Simichrome though.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 22, 2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Apache6

I wouldn't be without Flitz & Nevr-Dull.
Old April 22, 2008, 04:01 PM   #11
alfred

case preparation.

I used it to revive my polishing media in my vibrator.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.alfred
Old April 25, 2008, 12:10 AM   #12
Inspector3711

Flitz is good stuff. I found a polish I think is finer and can give a mirror polish. I had some pitting on an old mauser bolt to deal with. I used an Arkansas stone to work the pits out and then polished with Flitz like a mad man. It worked fine but I wasn't 100% happy. It was good but I wanted it to look like chrome. Then I found a tube in my Mother's basement left over from a previous homeowner. It is old enough to say "Made in West Germany" on the tube. It's called Wenol and you can still buy it. So I gave it a try. My bolt now has a mirror finish. This stuff is incredible. I don't think I would use it on bluing though. It seemed to cut faster than Flitz and may polish right through your finish. Stick with Flitz for that.

By the way... Wenol went in my tumbler with walnut shells last night.... The brass is nniicccee.
Old April 26, 2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Toolman

I've used it for years. I use it in my vibratory brass tumbler. Just add a little to the corncob media & brass comes out like new.
Old April 30, 2008, 05:42 PM   #14
bushidomosquito

The best stuff I have ever used and I have tried them all. There is another product called Maas that is just as good. My hobbies have been in the realm of metalworking for 20 years and I have had a go at everything from making japanese sword fittings from steel and various copper based alloys to making the only timascus jewlery I have ever seen. The Flitz is technically abrasive but it is so fine that it won't wear down hours of fine hand texturing on soft metal. Timascus, titanium, tantalum, niobium and platinum (I like playing with the weird metals) are the most difficult to polish metals and the Flitz on a Dremel buffer does it wonderfully with the right prep. If you ever come across a stainless Beretta 92 with blue anodized frame, a mirror polished slide and dark chrome colored titanium nitride coated trigger and controls that would be my first project with Flitz cream. I worked that slide down to 800 grit and polished it to a scratchless shine. That was the most pimp looking gun I've ever seen. If you like shiney it's the way to go.

"Bush is listening, use big words."