The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 19, 2002, 06:10 PM   #1
fpotter

Two-stage triggers: Compass Lake or Rock River

Assuming no difference in price, is there a consensus on which is the best to install?

Frank
Old March 21, 2002, 08:31 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You aren't being ignored. I was hoping someone with experience with the two would answer this one. I've never seen either so I really can't compare them. Worse I don't know who to tell you to ask. Not much help, huh? George
Old March 21, 2002, 10:10 AM   #3
johnwill

I don't know about the Compass Lake triggers, but I have two of the RRA 2-stage triggers in my guns, and they drop right in and work great. For around $80, it's hard to beat the value. I'm very happy with the performance of both guns with the new triggers, FWIW. One was the LEGP carbine from AR15.COM, which happens to be a RRA gun, the other was a green label Colt. I like them well enough that I think I'll be putting one in my Carbon-15, the only other AR type rifle I have.
Old March 21, 2002, 10:42 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Can't help you with the Compass Lake trigger. I've got one Rock River trigger installed in a rifle I'm building right now. It seems like a good, solid trigger so far.

Its a two-stage with about 4.5-5lbs of pull, a very, very crisp break. It was easy to install - although the trigger and hammer pins are slightly oversize and you'll need a mallet to put them in.
Old March 21, 2002, 03:47 PM   #5
johnwill

I was also curious about the oversize pins, they specifically mention them in the instructions, so they must have some purpose. Do you have any idea why they went that way?
Old March 23, 2002, 03:36 AM   #6
Jake 98c/11b

I think it is to keep the pins tight, if there is any play in it the mating surfaces in the parts could be effected. Sloppy wording, sorry. What I am trying to say is that the alignment between trigger, sear and hammer must be consistant or it may cause trouble.
Old March 23, 2002, 09:09 AM   #7
johnwill

That's a good point, and you may well be right. I was curious that is was obviously by design that they were tight, so that would make sense.
Old March 23, 2002, 11:37 AM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

I'm not sure why they went that way but I have had the GI-issue pins "walk" out under fire and that creates a really nasty jam when it happens. The slightly oversized pins don't walk at all - it may be that the tighter fit prevents that.
Old March 23, 2002, 04:05 PM   #9
Jake 98c/11b

The pins should not walk if everything is assembled correctly (but I will stress the 'should'). The long legs of the hammer spring should be resting in the grooves of the trigger pin. The hammer pin is held by a piece of spring wire in the hammer that catches a groove in the hammer pivot pin. That is why I believe the larger pins are to keep the mating surfaces of trigger parts in proper alignment.

I once went to the range with my issue weapon and had the trigger pin walk out, it was assembled by the armorer wrong, I have made it a point to check it every time I draw a weapon from the armory. I did that before but I did it by the manual, the operators manual does not cover that however.