The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Lavid2002

What are the Amax and the Vmax for?

To my understanding, both are very accurate bullets, the vmax is often used for varminting and the Amax for match shooting. Which os better for what? What bullets should I look for for paper punching? I want great results at 200 yards. Im no 1,000 yarder, but I wouldnt mind a bullet that can shoot Sub MOA groups out of my savage. I also shoot a RRA that Is guaranteed to shoot MOA groups. I would like some treats for her too :P
Thanks!
Dave
Old June 4, 2008, 03:50 PM   #2
VaFisher

After reading your post it looks like you answered your own question about as good as it could be.
Old June 4, 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Ifishsum

The V-Max is a thin jacketed bullet designed to expand explosively on varmints and small game, the A-max is more of a non-expanding target bullet and not really suitable for hunting. For paper punching, either one will work - in fact I'd try both and see which one your gun shoots best. I shoot the V-Max a lot in my Savage .204 for both varminting and paper punching and it is a very accurate bullet.
Old June 4, 2008, 09:16 PM   #4
saudst

Ifishsum

What Ifishsum said. My expereince exactly.
Old June 5, 2008, 01:52 AM   #5
Scorch

My experience (FWIW) is that the VMax bullets are great for varminting or target work, but AMax are hard to get to shoot well due to the long ogive (8 diameter ogive vs typical 6 diameter ogive). Since the nose has a longer taper, you will have to seat them out a bit further in order to get them to shoot well. Play around with seating depth to find the sweet spot.
Old June 5, 2008, 08:52 AM   #6
CPTMurdoc30

V-max like said above are varmint bullets these have thin jackets and are made for create rather impressive expansion on small varmints. The A-Max is a match grade bullet they are only worried about one thing how uniform it is from bullet to bullet. They are longer than regular BTHP or V-max bullets in that givin caliber.

I have heard and seen ground hogs shot with a A-max bullet (168gr 30 cal) do a flip and waddle back to their hole to die minutes or hours maybe even days later.

I use v-max bullets for everything because they are the most accurate in my rifle. I use three powders W748, Hodgdon Varget, and VV N133. W748 is for my fall and inter loads, with Varget for my spring and summer loads and VV N133 if for when I want some super explosive varmint action as I have cranked it up to 3700fps out of a 223 rem. I try not to use VV N133 as it cost me local $32 a pound.

I hear people all the time tell me to not loads max load because you are going to wear out the barrel faster. I want my barrel to wear out why. So I can replace the barrel with a match barrel.
Old June 5, 2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Zombie Steve

I use Amax (168gr) for both my .308 and .30-06 target rounds. I have enjoyed really great results in both.

FYI - the Hornady manual states that the 30 cal Amax is suitable as a hunting round for light, thin skinned animals, but I would work up a load using their Interbond if that was my purpose.
Old June 5, 2008, 01:19 PM   #8
Yithian

Don't underestimate the A-Max.
Is is built for precision but terminal ballistics is very good too.

The top is a V-Max.
The other two are A-Max's.

Notice that these are defence loads.
Old June 5, 2008, 02:40 PM   #9
The Lovemaster

Article in the latest Shooting Illustrated about a new benchrest record with 6mm 105gr A-Max bullets - 0.5823" group at 600 yds.
Old June 5, 2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Lavid2002

ballistics gel.....wow the a max really retained its weight well and had excellent penetration. whereas the -max it like a bomb once it hits the gel!
Old December 31, 2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Wasteofmoney

I've heard that the A-Max is excellent for 22-250 shooters on coyotes for reducing fur damage.

Does anyone have any experience with this bullet for this application?
Old December 31, 2008, 10:19 PM   #12
amamnn

If you are serious about punching the smallest holes in paper with your Savage, you might do better to replace the trigger--yes I have heard of that accuthing-- before worrying about which match bullet to shoot.

To that end, you might want to talk to these folks:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Once you have a match trigger, you'll probably find that the best mass market match bullets are Bergers. You can get very good deals on them from:

[email protected]

Another source of Savage info:

http://www.savageshooters.com/