The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 22, 2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Pahoo

Knight "Hawkeye" Questions

I recently purchased a Knight "Hawkeye" .50 pistol. Wasn't really in the market for another In-Line but the fella who had it was a used car salesman and made an offer, I couln't refuse.
Anyway, went to the Knight website and found out that it has a 1:20 twist. Can any of you who owns one of these strange little guys, tell me why and what projectile you are getting the best performance out of. The previous owner mentioned that he shoots PRB and gets great performance. I find this hard to believe. The Specs. also state that the max load for this Hawkeye, is 70grns.
Any and all assist would be appreciated ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Spelling !!
Old November 22, 2008, 02:59 PM   #2
mykeal

ROT isn't terribly meaningful in a pistol barrel. Some twist is useful, of course, but the difference between 1:20 and 1:70 isn't nearly as important in a pistol as it is in a long rifle.

Pistols are short range weapons (due to sight radius if nothing else), and round balls are short range ammunition. They go together well. Conicals are, in general, hard to load in a pistol (compared to a rb) and suffer in accuracy as a result. Because the gun is more suited to short range conicals can't reach their full potential.

It's certainly possible for conical ammo to be accurate when shot from a pistol, but ROT isn't the discriminate.
Old November 22, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Pahoo

Quote:
mykeal ROT isn't terribly meaningful in a pistol barrel. Some twist is useful, of course, but the difference between 1:20 and 1:70 isn't nearly as important in a pistol as it is in a long rifle.
Like my Grandkids say: But why??" If the ROT isn't all that meaningful or important in a pistol then why settle on a faster twist? Why not stay at 1:48 or 1:24 or as you stated, 1:70? There is more their than meets the eye and time to go to the factory. The effective barrel length is 12" long and looks like they are really wanting to get as much stability in that short length, for conicals. Might add that the specs made no mention of what projectile to shoot. I still do not understand how he got good performance on PBR. I'm really doubting that he did. Oh well, my problem and I certainly thank you for your reply.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2008, 04:39 PM   #4
simonkenton

I have never heard of a Knight pistol.
I don't have any advice on the rate of twist, but I wish you would post a photo.
Old November 22, 2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Pahoo

Quote:
simonkenton I have never heard of a Knight pistol.
Me either til it walked up to me.
Saw one on Gunbroker and it had a brown laminate stock. Mine is grey or what they call shadow black. Kind of a neat looking piece. Would post a picture if could figure out how to do so.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2008, 07:51 PM   #6
kwhi43

I would think that round balls would be more accurate. The twist would have
to be faster to shoot bullets. A pistol with a twist slower than 1-22 would not
be too accurate at 50 yds. The twist in mine are 1-14 to 1-16 for round ball.
I don't know about pistols just for short range? We shoot 100 yd. pistol
matches at Friendship. Wife won the 100 yd. match a couple years ago. We
use open sights. Her 10 shot group was around 8-10 inches.
Old November 22, 2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Pahoo

[email protected]; Thanks for your input and congratulations to you and your wife. This Hawkeye is starting to sound more interesting than I first thought. Looks extra range time is in order. I get out at least once a week, unless the Grandkids start bugging me. They love to shoot more than I do.

simonkenton:
There is one for sale on Guns America and you have to sign in to enlarge the picture.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976993561...94_HAWKEYE.htm

Be Safe !!!
Old November 23, 2008, 07:36 AM   #8
mykeal

Quote:
I don't know about pistols just for short range? We shoot 100 yd. pistol
matches at Friendship. Wife won the 100 yd. match a couple years ago. We
use open sights. Her 10 shot group was around 8-10 inches.
Which, frankly, makes my point. What would her groups be with a rifle?
Old November 23, 2008, 09:46 AM   #9
shortwave

Pahoo, congrats on your purchase. You`ve got nerves of steel, car salesman and guns