The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1
rcupka

Zeiss Conquest issues?

After several weeks of research I was very pleased with my purchase this weekend of a new Zeiss Conquest 3.5X10X44 scope at what I felt was a good price ($515). Until I came into work this morning and a hunting friend of mine said it is not a good deal and not a good scope.

He indicated he had two of the same model that would not hold zero and while Zeiss corrected them, it was an indicator of low quality lens design and manufacture. ( All he has now is Leupold)

This is not the impression I got when reading all the forums and reviews. I know that many people have a strong identification with certain brands, I have the same feeling about cars. But am I missing some known quality problem out in the field that I was unaware of?

Thank you in advance,

rcupka

Last edited by rcupka; August 2, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
laytonj1

One person having an issue does not make the whole product line-up bad...
For what's it's worth, I owned and used a Leupold mark 4 and a Zeiss Conquest (both 6.5 X 20 mil dot) and I still have the Zeiss.
While the Conquest is assembled here in the US the parts all come from the factory in Europe.

Jim
Old August 11, 2010, 09:42 PM   #3
SomeGuyInMidwest

He could have had one bad one. But, Zeiss has a transferable lifetime warranty. If there is any issue, they will fix it. I love the Zeiss scopes I have.

Also, $515 for a 3.5-10 is a great price. Where did you purchase it?
Old August 13, 2010, 10:45 AM   #4
rcupka

I bought it at Gander Mountain in Taylor MI. They had two left and were not going to carry that particular model anymore. I quickly checked the price at other locations and then snapped it up. I known they have a good reputation and hope to have a similar experience. I am pleased so far.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
5RWill

Like they said one bad review doesn't account for the entire product line, i also support the conquest as i have one on my sako. Hasn't malfunctioned yet. Also makes my dads VXIII leupold look like a tasco IMO.