The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 30, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1
countryboywithgun

CAS

Ok i am hooked on cowboy action shooting. I have a 58 remmy and at the place i will be shooting at you have to have 2 pistols so any suggestions non black powder. i spoke with a guy at bass pro and he suggested either a ruger or tarus or uberti. i don't want to spend much the first time out because i don't have that much to spend. would love to find a great used one.
Old March 30, 2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Hawg

I prefer Uberti.
Old March 30, 2008, 02:38 AM   #3
tplumeri

uberti makes a fine gun but i prefer the vaquero
Old March 30, 2008, 02:39 AM   #4
Playboypenguin

Another vote for the Uberti pistols. That is what I use...although the Vaqueros do not suck either.

Old March 30, 2008, 08:04 PM   #5
yourotherleft

One more vote for Uberti
Old March 31, 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
byronw999

I use 2 Vaqueros.. Great guns out of the box.. You dont need to get trigger jobs and all sorts of other parts replaced as with some other brands.. Best of all they are made in the USA..

I wouldnt get in a hurry tho if yer low on funds.. CAS shooters are usually a real friendly helpfull bunch and will always loan out guns to new folks... Just bring ammo..
Old April 4, 2008, 10:45 PM   #7
countryboywithgun

ok i am hearing vaqueros and ubertis. the uberti has the older style firing pin so can only chamber 5 how is the ruger?

also what about the tarus??? i looked at one today and liked it
Old April 4, 2008, 10:56 PM   #8
tplumeri

chamber all 6 with the rugers. safe if dropped etc.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

Quote:
ok i am hearing vaqueros and ubertis. the uberti has the older style firing pin so can only chamber 5 how is the ruger?
When shooting CAs you will not just be chambering five. You will use all six. Unless you are going to be running around with them in an open top holster with no retention system you need not worry about an empty chamber.
Old April 4, 2008, 11:18 PM   #10
Gaucho Gringo

Hi

I have a Taurus Gaucho in .357/38spl and love the gun. Unfortunately a little less than two years after buying it, it is an orphan like the Ruger New Army. I don't know whether it is a shakedown in the gun industry but there are other models of guns being discontinued as well. As far as the Gaucho you had people that had problems with theirs and you had people like me who have had no problems with the one they have and wonder what the problem is. I have no doubt as to there have been problem guns, just as to the volume of complaints.
I am still trying to figure out what the difference is between a good one and a bad one is. I would say all the negative publicity about the Gaucho has driven the price down and if you could find one without problems and a bargain price you would have a good revolver. As far as the one I have I am going to keep it and shoot it for many more years.
Old April 4, 2008, 11:18 PM   #11
tplumeri

Quote:
Unless you are going to be running around with them in an open top holster with no retention system

thats how i carry em! what other way is there if youre shooting "authentic"?

By the way countryboywithgun,
the taurus has same safety bar as ruger (load all 6)
Old April 5, 2008, 04:56 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
When shooting CAs you will not just be chambering five. You will use all six.
Since when?
Old April 5, 2008, 05:08 AM   #13
Raider2000

I was under the impression that it was a requirement to load only 5 chambers for safety irregardless of the make of the gun.
Old April 5, 2008, 05:21 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
I was under the impression that it was a requirement to load only 5 chambers for safety irregardless of the make of the gun.
That's the way SASS affiliated clubs are. I've never heard of a club allowing loading all six. If you have a Patterson or similar gun that only holds five they wil let you load it up. They will let you load all six chambers in a C&B revolver but will only let you cap five.
Old April 5, 2008, 05:32 AM   #15
Hawg

From the January 08 shooters handbook.

Six-guns are always loaded with only five rounds and the hammer lowered, fully down, and left resting on the empty chamber. Five shooters may load five rounds, but the hammer must rest on a dummy chamber or safety slot in the cylinder so the hammer does not rest on a live round/cap. If a particular stage requires a one shot reload, the sixth chamber may be charged at the bench and then capped “on the clock.”

Also from the same handbook.

All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a normal range of motion.
Old April 5, 2008, 01:43 PM   #16
countryboywithgun

thanks that helps, i am just trying to sign up in SASS and the local club and read all the rules, inbetween dora, power rangers and changing diapers.

I was also looking so i could possibly carry it safely as a concealed gun
Old April 5, 2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Playboypenguin

Well, I do not go often but a lot of our stages require a 1-2-3 and then a 3-2-1 shot pattern you cannot accomplish that with ten rounds.
Old April 5, 2008, 07:38 PM   #18
tplumeri

I think i read about a revolver that has relief between the cylinders so you can keep the hammer down in between and still load all 6. i guess its a gun w/o the transfer bar safety. wonder how it cycles?
anyone know about this, or am i having another out of mind experience?
(or maybe a brainstorm.....)
Old April 5, 2008, 08:29 PM   #19
Hawg

The C&B's do but you can't cap but five. If you need six you cap on the clock. If you're shooting cartridges under SASS rules and need a sixth you load the sixth on the clock.
Old April 5, 2008, 11:13 PM   #20
Hafoc

Tplumeri,

The revolver with a relief cut between the chambers would be an 1858 Remington. Colt percussion revolvers had pins between the chambers, or at least a single pin between two of them, for the same purpose. With my Pietta Remington 1858 it seems to work properly. With my .31 caliber Remington pocket model it doesn't, because Pietta didn't make the cuts wide enough for the hammer to fit- they're cosmetic only.

I've read some people saying you could lower the firing pin of a Colt SAA or clone between the case rims of the cartridges, and carry all six that way-- if they're centerfire, not rimfire, of course. I don't think I'd try it.

I have a vague memory about some little revolver, maybe the NAA Mini, that used a notch between chambers as a safety. But it's really fuzzy, I'm not sure about it at all.
Old April 6, 2008, 05:29 AM   #21
mykeal

Quote:
The revolver with a relief cut between the chambers would be an 1858 Remington.
How about the Ruger Old Army?
Old April 6, 2008, 12:31 PM   #22
tplumeri

Quote:
revolvers had pins between the chambers, or at least a single pin between two of them, for the same purpose. With my Pietta Remington 1858 it seems to work properly
i only have ruger single actions, so i cant play around to see how this "middle" position would cycle.
If i were carrying with hammer down between cylynders, how would i cycle the gun? ie what rotates the cylinder into normal firing mode?
tom
Old May 19, 2008, 10:20 AM   #23
countryboywithgun

update on SAA

Hey, i found a Uberti SAA in the classifieds here on the forum, I should pick it up today I can't wait to give it a whirl.

So i have 2 pistols now the uberti and the 58 remmy with 45 conv.

I also have an 1892 winchester built in 1893 and a 1878 (can't remember brand but built in chickopee(sp?), pre Stevens arms) I need to send both off to work on them any thoughts on using them or should i get replicas???
Old May 19, 2008, 05:34 PM   #24
Hawg

If the 92 is in collector shape I wouldn't but if it's just a shooter you wouldn't mind getting a few dings and scratches in go for it. Stevens or pre Stevens Shotguns don't have much collector value so go for it on that one.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
i only have ruger single actions, so i cant play around to see how this "middle" position would cycle.
If i were carrying with hammer down between cylynders, how would i cycle the gun? ie what rotates the cylinder into normal firing mode?
Just cock the hammer.