The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2015, 12:56 PM   #1
GreySmoke

MAGPUL/MOSSBERG 500's & 590's

Since my thread on the UTS-15 was well covered (thanks everyone).
I thought I would see what was thought of the Magpul furniture for Mossberg Shotguns?

Old March 7, 2015, 01:10 PM   #2
turkeestalker

I understand it, but I just can not get comfortable looking at it. It reminds me of a Rossi tactical lever action or something. Maybe if I were fondling it in the dark it would grow on me but I kind of doubt it.
I'm older than some and younger than others but regardless, for me you just can not beat the enduring classic beauty, warmth, and charm of wood and steel with traditional styling.
But I'm an opinionated stick in the mud!
Old March 7, 2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Snyper

It looks tacky to me, as opposed to "tactical" (or tacticool), although I will admit it's practical if the LOP and comb height dimensions are adjustable, as they appear to be.

I could see it making an accurate deer slug gun with a rifled barrel

I imagine recoil is not too good with the high bore line
Old March 7, 2015, 03:13 PM   #4
ezmiraldo

I've installed that sga stock on my mossberg 500 coupple of weeks back. Couple of quick observations: It feels great in the hand (the angle of the quasi pistol grip is a perfect hybrid between pistol grip and traditional curved area of the stock), the LOP and cheek height are adjustable, the rubber pad on the end of the stock is very soft -- unlike the stone-hard I had on the original stock.

From what I've heard, the only downside to this stock is that one has to partially unscrew the stock, before removing the trigger group when disassembling the gun. This shouldn't be a huge problem, because the screw is much more conveniently located than the screw on the original stock.

I'll go out to test this awesome stock out on the range next week. But, so far, I'm really liking it.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Bulky.
Old March 9, 2015, 11:47 PM   #6
Fishbed77

I had the Magpul forearm mounted on my M590A1 for a while. I didn't care for it at all. It was too bulky, clunky feeling, and offered no real improvement to the grip. I went back to the stock corncob and I'm glad I did.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:28 PM   #7
Waspinator

I personally like the Hogue overmolded set ver those Magpul set-ups. A freind had that same set-up you have pictured and it felt wrong to me. Not to mention it is just about the ugliest stock/forend combo I've seen in a long time, lol.

The thing I like about the Hogue is the feel in the hand and the position/shape of the stock where your firing hand grips. Very comfortable. I opted for the standard LOP set, as the 12" LOP stocks feel to tight for me.

http://www.hogueinc.com/store/produc...with-forend/34

Here it is on my 500