The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2013, 07:48 AM   #26
drcook

Mark,

That I cannot say. However, consider this. The Ithaca 37 design was very well thought out by John Browning and John Pedersen. If you go changing it, then unseen problems can happen.

Ithaca itself had this problem (postulated by Walt Snyder, the author of the definitive books on Ithaca) when they changed the design of the magazine tube to make it easier to manufacture.

I ran into that same issue fitting a new tube to an older receiver. The new design contributed to the problems where Ithacas were dumping shells on the ground.

I had to machine up an insert with a .015 wall thickness to slip into the end of the magazine tube and allow it to correctly hand off the shells to the right and left side shell stops.

If it was me, I would put it back to factory dimensions.

Do you know what a Rockwell hardness tester is ? You should find a shop that has one, test out the part before and after welding. If too soft it is going to wear again, if too hard, it could cause wear on another more expensive part.

Dave
Old July 25, 2013, 07:59 AM   #27
CaptainChaos

Dave,

OK on retaining the dimensions.

Re the hardness, that's *exactly* what I was going to ask next. If *anything* is going to wear, I'd prefer it to be the slide stop and not the slide, of course.

Looking at the worn area, I'm a bit surprised that such as small change has made such a large difference to the functionality. I haven't taken the trigger mechs apart, and so haven't compared the stops side-by-side, but it *appears* that the OAL of the parts are still the same.

Perhaps it's my imagination. I'll have another look when I open the cabinet next time. (Perhaps there are *other* differences between the two guns that I've not, yet, spotted.)

We've a club competition coming up, soon. It'll be interesting to see how I get on...

Regards,

Mark.