The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 21, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
RamItOne

Some common TFL threads

Well this should cover a few talked about threads
Double barrel shotgun for SD
Novelty pistols that shoot 410 (judge and bond arms) for snakes
Shot placement
Does a gun shot sound loud when your adrenaline is pumping (SD scenario etc)

I recently found myself on the hunt for a snake that my dog had cornered the day before (4 foot cottonmouth). I was mowing back some vegetation near my lake when I stumbled upon a snake, ran in the house (30 yards) and grabbed the O/U in the kitchen, ran back, stood about 7 feet away and fired, direct hit several inches behind the head, still moving around, fired again and then went to get a rake to pick him up from the waters edge.

On to the topics
When I picked him up he was still moving, this was not the cottonmouth but a much smaller snake, now picture that an intruder, glad I don't use an O/U for SD.

As for those novelty pistols that shoot 410 or the shot from CCI for .22lr, I really would have no faith in that for protection against a much larger snake or any attacker.

Shot placement, there was some vegetation that I was shooting through, I didn't want to miss in front of its head so thats why I aimed slightly behind its head, this certainly wasn't a one shot stop.

The sound wasn't bad at all, really, did not even notice, just pulled the trigger, then pulled it again. I have fired a 9mm at an outdoor range w/ out hearing protection (one shot) that sound was very sharp and painful, I believe the adrenaline that I was feeling numbed me to the sound just as I would suspect it would if you were to fire several shots in a SD scenario

Wasn't really sure where this thread belonged.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old April 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
ChaseReynolds

I have also noticed that shotguns don't seem that loud. Except for 3 1/2 goose loads. But for the most part I feel that I hear a deeper sound that doesn't bother my ears so much.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
dakota.potts

This is not quite on topic, but I am part of a forum that talks about bass guitars. Here we have "Shotgun for self defense" "9mm vs. 45" and "Good first gun". There we have "What's the best bass for metal?" "4 string vs. 5 string vs. 6 string basses" and "What are good songs for a cover band"

The bonus thread I love is "this person is drunk, late to practice, and I really hate him but he's kind of good at this one guitar thing and I'm going to ask you what to do and then ignore you when you tell me to kick him out and leave."

I guess what I'm saying is all message boards get the same kind of questions, and typically the ones that get asked a lot are ones that only an individual can answer for themselves.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

If you have the choice, i.e. if it's not a self-defense situation or other genuine emergency, don't shoot any gun without hearing protection. While it's true that if you're under stress, a shot may not sound loud, it will still damage your hearing. The suppressive effect is analogous to tunnel vision -- it's a perceptual thing, and it has no protective effect at the level of the inner ear, where hearing damage takes place. A typical 12 ga. shotgun blast measures around 155 dB, which is more than enough to cause permanent hearing damage.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old April 21, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5
SPEMack618

I can remember several times firing my M-4 in the Sandbox and not noticing any undue pain or ringing at the time, but several hours later I would be walking around the FOB and just notice that my ears were ringing.

I hate to think of the damage of I've done to my ears.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6
WiscBuckmaster

I dont think a few shots without ear protection will affect anything long term. I've been hunting all my life without ear protection shooting rifles and shotguns as well as others right beside me shooting, and i like to think i have pretty good hearing. Listening to an ipod or something with headphones is much more detrimental in my opinion.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:43 PM   #7
wet

wiscb, You can buy some fair hearing aids for $3000 every few years if you want to have a conversation anyway.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Re: Some common TFL threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts View Post
This is not quite on topic, but I am part of a forum that talks about bass guitars. Here we have "Shotgun for self defense" "9mm vs. 45" and "Good first gun". There we have "What's the best bass for metal?" "4 string vs. 5 string vs. 6 string basses" and "What are good songs for a cover band".
Heh. "Spend more time learning to read charts than emulating Jaco" equals "get a good .22 and learn to shoot with the irons."

"Who needs a five-string for jazz" equals "who needs 30-round mags for home defense."

I have no idea what the musical equivalent of "what gun for the wife who never shoots" might be.
Old April 22, 2013, 05:51 AM   #9
WC145

If we're talking about questions that are asked over and over, there are also the ever popular "Do you carry with one in the pipe?", "Do you carry a spare mag?, "Why aren't there more 9mm revolvers?", and "What's the best 1911 for $XXX?"
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 22, 2013, 11:01 AM   #10
WiscBuckmaster

Quote:
wiscb, You can buy some fair hearing aids for $3000 every few years if you want to have a conversation anyway.
I hope that wont be the case. My father, his brothers, my grandfather and his friends all have hunted their whole lives as well and i have never seen any of them wear hearing protection either and i think maybe 1 of them wears 1 hearing aide, which he would probably wear even if he never shot firearms he worked in construction his whole life. Im not telling people to not wear hearing protection but i think people over-estimate damage that could be done. No need to get mad about it. Wear protection if you want, most instances in hunting wearing hearing protection is detrimntal to the hunt. Target shooting inside or at an outdoor range thats a different story.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
carguychris

Most threads about the FNH Five-seveN and/or the 5.7x28 cartridge seemingly echo one another. Myself and tahunua001 lampooned this fact in a thread last February:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I have no idea what the musical equivalent of "what gun for the wife who never shoots" might be.
"What digital keyboard should I buy for my wife?" (She plays for fun, relaxation, and/or occasionally at church, and she has next to zero electronic music knowledge.)

Some nerd will inevitably suggest something like a Yamaha Motif or Korg Kronos because it is The Awesome. Folks: it costs $3,000, and she'll never get past the front panel! The correst answer is a Casio Privia PX-350.

Also, regarding redundant music threads, you forgot a biggie: "Which DAW do you recommend for a beginner?"
Old April 22, 2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscBuckmaster
My father, his brothers, my grandfather and his friends all have hunted their whole lives as well and i have never seen any of them wear hearing protection either and i think maybe 1 of them wears 1 hearing aide, which he would probably wear even if he never shot firearms he worked in construction his whole life.
"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'"

The fact they didn't use hearing aids is no proof that they didn't have some hearing loss. First, people don't necessarily realize that their hearing is impaired until the loss is quite severe; second, many people with serious hearing loss are very resistant to the idea of wearing hearing aids.

This is a subject that's been discussed at length in many threads here. For a couple of good ones, see this thread, and this one.

It is very well established that exposure to gunfire without ear protection will cause hearing loss. It's irresponsible to suggest otherwise.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
"Which DAW do you recommend for a beginner?"
A Fostex 4-track and some reading on proper engineering, because in my day, revolvers were just fine for home-defense.
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing , judge , shotgun , snake