The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 20, 2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Ignition Override

New firing spring for Mauser makes no 'bang'.

The new Wolff spring is the first component I've ever replaced (any gun...) and there were only "clicks".

It seemed that each step was done according to the new photos for the Yugo Mauser bolt at "Surplusrifle".
Won't get back for a few days. The force required to hold down the spring could have led to a mistake, although everything felt solid.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old April 20, 2010, 12:05 PM   #2
madcratebuilder

A friend turned me on to this easy, cheap to make Mauser bolt tool.

Old April 20, 2010, 12:30 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I use a hole in the work bench. Even cheaper and easier.

That doesn't answer the problem with the spring.

Ignition, are you sure the spring is the right one? The spring for the Yugo M48 and 24/47 is shorter than the one for the standard 98 Mauser, and the Yugoslavs used all three types. The Mauser 98 (Gew. 98, K.98k, VZ-24) is too long to fit in the M48 and M24/47 and the spring for those rifles is too short and won't fire the standard model 98.

Jim
Old April 20, 2010, 01:37 PM   #4
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I use a hole in the work bench. Even cheaper and easier.
If I had a hole in my bench it would collect parts twice it's size, Murphy's law. Besides, taking my bench to the range is a pita.
Old April 20, 2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Ignition Override

Jim, yes, the Wolff website's spring designation is for the 48 series.

Mine is a regular 48A, and the springs looked like the same exact length, but will look at any 'Surplusrifle' Yugo videos (if avail.), as these might be better than the series of photos. Home in a few days.
Old April 21, 2010, 01:18 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

There is a hole in the stock to use for disassembling the firing pin spring. Every GI Mauser has one somewhere.

Just checked my Yugo, and its a big metal disc in the butt. My Kar98k has a small hole in the buttplate, and my 96 Swede has a hole in furniture where the cleaning rod goes that would work. And my VZ24 has a metal cup shaped depression in the stock that would also work, so I'm thinking most, if not all the military Mausers has something that you could use.

It ain't rocket surgery. All you need to do is support the firing pin, and push down on the shroud until the cocking piece clears it. Then rotate the cocking piece 90 degrees to disengage, and carefully relase the tension on the spring. And it goes together just the opposite.
Old April 21, 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The short spring should work in the short bolt; if other problems are ruled out, I would return the spring and try to get an original spring instead of the Wolff spring.

FWIW, the original K.98k had the takedown disc in the buttstock. The hole in the buttplate was introduced in 1944, as part of the generally simplified version called the Kriegsmodell (war model).

Jiim
Old April 22, 2010, 07:22 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
There is a hole in the stock to use for disassembling the firing pin spring. Every GI Mauser has one somewhere.

Just checked my Yugo, and its a big metal disc in the butt.
What model Yugo, My M-48 and M-48A has a smooth butt.