The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Based on my stated situation which would you have choosen
Slugs 3 20.00%
00 Buck shot 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 22, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Whatcha gonna dooo??

I was thinking today. Suppose I just finished cleaning all of my shotguns and I am sitting there in my living room drinking a case of ice cold Old Milwaulkee.

With the beer in my hand and my feet proped up on the cooler I flip through the channels looking for something to watch.

All of a sudden I hear a bunch of loud engines tearing down the street and pulling up threw my yard.

I drop my beer and run to my first room to look out the window. I dont waste any time, I run faster than Rush Limbaugh going to an oxycotin factory.

I peer through the window to notice 7 or eight mortorcycles in my yard and more pulling up down the street. Many of the bikers have dismounted and are either getting something off of their bikes or already have some type of weapon in their hand.

I run back to my case of beer and drag it to the front door hoping that as they burst through the door the cooler full of Ice cold beer might slow them down. I grab one more beer from out of the cooler and then run back to the back room where I was cleaning my shotguns.

I bust open the beer and take a long swig. Now I have to make the most important decision of my life. I know none of my shotguns are loaded. I easily pick out the most reliable and comfortable shotgun in history. (The remington 870)

Now I must make the hard decision. There are boxes of buck shot and slugs sitting on the table. Which should I load in to the 870? I make my decision and load the gun and take one of the boxes with me. I know I will probably not have time to reload, and I know that if I did I probably will only have one reload becase by then the bikers will have swarmed on me like stink on a monkey.

Running to the open entrance to my hallway carrying my beer and shells in one hand and the remington in the other a kneel down and take a position preparing for the onslot.

I know, I know. What about the back door? Well I figure most bikers will probably be too stupid to think that tactically. Also once they find the ice cold beer I am sure they would call the others who went around the back so they to can drench their thirst.

I can hear their blood curling snarls as they smash and bang their way through the door. I do still have some mental peace because I know none of them will have a gun because it is illegal for criminals to own a gun.

So I have the advantage. Not only will I take them by surprise. I will have such a force multiplyer being that I am the only one with a gun that I know I cannot fail. I feel like one of those guys out of the movie 300. I will slaughter them like pigs.

(If this was you and not me, which box of shells would you have loaded in your gun,
The shotgun slugs, or the 00 Buckshot)

George Orwell

Last edited by Super-Dave; January 22, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
PaddyWhacked

Why would you use slugs? Buckshot is going to give you multiple target impact in closed spaces. The biker bashing is a bit much though. You could have given us a break on that. Have to disagree on the 870 being the most reliable and comfortable, too.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Super-Dave

The slug might penetrate 3 bikers before stoping. Once you have them "funneled through the hall way" one shot will penetrate several of them.

George Orwell
Old January 22, 2009, 09:16 PM   #4
scorpion_tyr

Hmmm... okay... I'll play. If the hallway is only wide enough for one of them to come through at a time, slugs, hoping that they'll penetrate through one BG and on to the second, maybe third.

If it's wide enough for two or three, buckshot, hoping that a stray pellet or two will find a home in one of the other BG's. 1 in a 1,000,000 maybe, but still a chance.

Several people have called me paranoid, but I know that sometimes I have really bad luck. It would be my luck that while I'm cleaning the guns someone gets a bad idea and decides to do something bad in my house. That's why I always have a BUG in holster on my side when I'm cleaning, dry firing, etc. Just have too keep the SA really high so you don't have an ND with the BUG.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:25 PM   #5
hoytinak

Why was the 870 (BTW: the 500 is a much better pump ) unloaded it the first place?

I keep 00B in my 500 for HD duty.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:28 PM   #6
alloy

are they coming for you or a cheeseburger?
sounds like where i work(minus the guns in hand scenario)...i vote buckshot.
but im immune to the sounds of bikes.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
publius

Old milwaukee:barf: buckshot
Old January 22, 2009, 09:38 PM   #8
curt.45

what Superdave didn't realise is that all his best friends just left the motorcycle store stopped at the biker leather shop and then decided to go show Dave their new purchases, now Superdave has dead friends.

00 Buck in my 500
Old January 22, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Quote:
All of a sudden I hear a bunch of loud engines tearing down the street and pulling up threw my yard.

I drop my beer and run to my first room to look out the window. I dont waste any time, I run faster than Rush Limbaugh going to an oxycotin factory.
Well, first of all, If the loud engine noise wasn't my daughter's boyfriend coming down the street as usual, and was, indeed, murderous bikers, I'd never drop my beer but would load up with buck for sure, since a stray charge of buck is much less likely to perforate my fridge and take out all my Buckhorn (any maybe even the Boone Farm). Let's use our brains here.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 22, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:11 PM   #10
dabigguns357

why not get your self a combo.I keep this around at all times,well except i have changed guns,but the holster and gun belt are the same.All you do is clip and go.Keep the shotgun as the primary and your hand gun as backup.About the slug vs the buckshot,i use slugs only because i have a slug barrel.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:33 PM   #11
BillCA

A lot depends on the size of your house and the distances involved. For instance, it's less than 4 yards from the hallway entrance to the front door here. Which type of load to use is a moot point because buckshot won't spread much at that range.

If all the baddies queue up to come in the front door, even after you've opened the hostilities, ammo type isn't going to make much difference.

However, if they start trying to come in through windows, buckshot starts to sound better. Windows are further away and chances are fair that one load might disable more than one intruder.

Tactically:
As distance increases out to 18-20 ft, buckshot does a much better job. Given that, instead of risking a disasterous beer spill in the hallway, I'll take a barricade position at the master bedroom door and aim down my 5 yard hallway and into the 3.8 yard foyer. After exhausting over 40 rounds there shouldn't be any dispute who really owns the house.
Old January 23, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This is SO closed.....
Closed Thread