The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 31, 2016, 06:00 PM   #26
shafter

Why wouldn't you shoot the bear with your Elk rifle if it comes to that? You have a much better chance of stopping a bear with it than any handgun you might choose.
Old October 31, 2016, 06:10 PM   #27
t45

I wouldn't feel undergunned with either a 44mag or a potent 45colt.
Old October 31, 2016, 06:31 PM   #28
Rangerrich99

I've been shooting .44 mags most of 30 years now, and currently carry a S&W model 69 as my usual 'anti-bear' gun, loaded with 300 grain BBs. I'm 5' 8" and 170 lbs. The recoil from those rounds out of that gun (37 oz.) is stiff. But I have practiced enough that I can get four rds. into a softball-sized area at 15 yds. in under 2 seconds from low ready. It took a lot of practice. If not for my hobby of reloading it would have cost me several hundred bucks in ammo alone.

Last week I fired a S&W .460XVR for the first time. While recoil wasn't uncontrollable (the weight of the gun and the compensator ports helped a lot I'm sure), it was much more difficult to manage than any .44 mag I've fired. I would respectfully suggest that to attain an acceptable level of proficiency with a .460 you'd have to spend several hundred dollars in ammo to get there.

As for my experience with bears, around here they're all blackies and most are under 200 lbs. But three weeks a year for the last eight years I've been going up to both MT and WY to hunt/fish and have seen grizz in the wild. That's when I'm glad I've got that 69 on me. But I'm well-aware that even five .44s might not do the trick.

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to become more proficient with your rifle, or depending on your experience with magnum revolvers, go with a .357 mag., loaded with heavy BBs. However, regardless of what caliber you end up with, bullet placement is going to be the determining factor. Putting five or six .44s into a charging grizz all in non-lethal areas is probably only going to make him more angry with you.
Old October 31, 2016, 07:28 PM   #29
smee78

In bear country I prefer a shotgun with slugs or a Glock 20 in10mm. In your case going hunting I would bring a semi rifle as my defence/hunting rig.
Old October 31, 2016, 07:31 PM   #30
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
I've been shooting .44 mags most of 30 years now, and currently carry a S&W model 69 as my usual 'anti-bear' gun, loaded with 300 grain BBs. I'm 5' 8" and 170 lbs. The recoil from those rounds out of that gun (37 oz.) is stiff. But I have practiced enough that I can get four rds. into a softball-sized area at 15 yds. in under 2 seconds from low ready. It took a lot of practice. If not for my hobby of reloading it would have cost me several hundred bucks in ammo alone.

Last week I fired a S&W .460XVR for the first time. While recoil wasn't uncontrollable (the weight of the gun and the compensator ports helped a lot I'm sure), it was much more difficult to manage than any .44 mag I've fired. I would respectfully suggest that to attain an acceptable level of proficiency with a .460 you'd have to spend several hundred dollars in ammo to get there.

As for my experience with bears, around here they're all blackies and most are under 200 lbs. But three weeks a year for the last eight years I've been going up to both MT and WY to hunt/fish and have seen grizz in the wild. That's when I'm glad I've got that 69 on me. But I'm well-aware that even five .44s might not do the trick.

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to become more proficient with your rifle, or depending on your experience with magnum revolvers, go with a .357 mag., loaded with heavy BBs. However, regardless of what caliber you end up with, bullet placement is going to be the determining factor. Putting five or six .44s into a charging grizz all in non-lethal areas is probably only going to make him more angry with you.
This pretty sums up all the advice I seem to have been given. I'll probably go with a heavy ish 44 mag, or a 357 with heavy bullets, and train. A lot. Also, like you I reload and that will save me in training cost.

Random... How does the 50ae stack up? My lgs has a dessert eagle in both 44 magnum and 50ae...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by nhyrum; October 31, 2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old October 31, 2016, 08:59 PM   #31
Dane17

I went 460 because it can shoot 454 and 45 lc as well.

Recoil while not pleasant is not as brutal as you may think.
Old October 31, 2016, 09:06 PM   #32
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane17 View Post
I went 460 because it can shoot 454 and 45 lc as well.

Recoil while not pleasant is not as brutal as you may think.
How long is the cylinder? Can it do 410 as well?

Edit: simple googling found that no, the cylinder is not long enough for 410.

Thank you for all the input guys, it really has been helpful. I have to over analyze and take things a little too far, but all in all I have learned quite a bit. Now I just gotta shoot some of these boogers. It's been a long time since I've shot a 44 magnum revolver. I'm leaving towards the 44 magnum, maybe even start out with a 357 while I learn and grow the marksman skills, and use a good, heavy bullet in the case it needs to be used for the purpose in buying it, then step up in power as I get accustomed.

I am even considering caring an ak pistol on a sling, or, if I'm feeling extra in the mood of spending money and fell like I could carry a second rifle, a 458 socom on an AR platform. I like the idea of having that many rounds on hand, and a larger, easier to control platform.

Last edited by nhyrum; October 31, 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old November 1, 2016, 04:46 AM   #33
rightside

Ooooh, I love bear handgun threads! It's almost impossible to find one on EVERY SINGLE FORUM out there!
Old November 1, 2016, 05:59 AM   #34
Mobuck

"You have a rifle in your hands. No hand gun cartridge will compare to a rifle cartridge."

There have been several attacks that occurred while a hunter was gutting or butchering his kill leaving his rifle propped against a tree some distance away. Having a handgun(even though it's not as powerful as a rifle)on your person is preferable to the rifle which is out of reach. The other situation in which a handgun is preferable is while packing meat. The bulk and weight of a rifle may cause a person to leave it behind while a properly holstered revolver if always with you.
It's been decades since I was in Griz country but at that time, I was packing a S&W 44 with 245 hardcast SWC ammo while my hiking partner carried a folding stock slug gun(we were very close to at least one bear during the week's scouting trip). The last time I was in bear country(not Griz), I carried a Ruger 4 5/8" 44 mag loaded with 240 SP.
Old November 1, 2016, 07:12 AM   #35
shafter

I wouldn't want to shoot a big bore revolver with bloody slippery hands. You'd still be better off with your rifle. Keep your rifle close by propped up against a fanny pack or whatever's handy with the scope turned down to its lowest setting (very important!). Keep your ears open and head on a swivel.
Old November 1, 2016, 11:15 AM   #36
chrisintexas

What cartridges you use in 357 or 44 magnum for this? links please.
Old November 1, 2016, 11:25 AM   #37
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Keep your ears open and head on a swivel.
I really do think this will be one of the most important factors. More important than caliber and training with said caliber(which training is second important) after I settle on a caliber, I'll need to do a lot of shooting, and wyosmith told me how to build a rig for about 30 bucks that I could build to practice shooting a 3 dimensional moving target that can be as slow or fast as I need, a rig he thought of while training military Special forces. Also, daily shooting a cylinder will do more than shooting 100 plus every weekend

Old November 1, 2016, 03:39 PM   #38
RIDE-RED 350r

I think that the rig you carry your handgun in is just as important as the weapon/caliber you choose.

I carry my S&W460V (5" bbl) in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig. It carries like a dream in that rig, and is easily accessible. As heavy as the X-frame is, I can carry it all day tramping around the woods, and hardly notice it.
Old November 1, 2016, 07:46 PM   #39
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 350r View Post
I think that the rig you carry your handgun in is just as important as the weapon/caliber you choose.

I carry my S&W460V (5" bbl) in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig. It carries like a dream in that rig, and is easily accessible. As heavy as the X-frame is, I can carry it all day tramping around the woods, and hardly notice it.
I was actually looking into chest rigs. That diamond d a good choice?
Old November 1, 2016, 08:01 PM   #40
Radny97

Not sure how much hunting you do and how much hiking is involved. I just got off the deer hunt and one of our days we did 8 miles with more than 3000 feet in elevation up and another 3000 down (round trip). Took about 14 hours with packs and rifles.
So there's hunting and then there's hunting.
If you are only going to hike a mile or two any given day or will be staying by the atv or horses, some of these 4 pound behemoth revolvers or an AR pistol are fine, but if you are doing any serious back country work, weight is everything. Hence my recommendation of the 329pd.
Old November 2, 2016, 02:03 AM   #41
firespec35

Glad to see 10mm getting some love here. Im a shooter but not much of an outdoorsman, my brother is getting into rustic camping and expedition trips but isnt super knowledgeable with pistols nor does he have a ton of money to seek out a 1000+ gun. I suggested a 10mm glock with a havy duty load (will have to tell him about doubletap) but told him to research more because I wasnt competely sure of the efficacy against bears.

S&W 669
Old November 2, 2016, 07:36 AM   #42
agtman

Most efficient would be a 15+1 10mm G40 carried in an Alaskan Guide chest holster, along with a spare mag or two. You'll be well-protected, ... at least short of having a .375 H&H rifle slung over your shoulder every minute of the day.

Another center-chest holster option is the Kenai:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenai-Chest-H.../dp/B017O90AJU

G40.

Last edited by agtman; November 2, 2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old November 2, 2016, 09:15 AM   #43
Deaf Smith

This is what I carry.

My trusted 629-1 .44 Magnum.

If I need more I take my Winchester .44 Magnum Trapper carbine with same ammo.

Deaf
Old November 2, 2016, 01:00 PM   #44
nhyrum

I have been going around to all my local shops asking for recommendations. They all say 44 magnum, but one place said the glock 10mm as well. Good to finally get a model number. They even knew of a guy that is in there often that may let me shoot it, and told them about my interest in the 454,so they will be on the lookout for someone that has one, and willing to let me shoot it
Old November 2, 2016, 02:55 PM   #45
Isk

I actually carry (in actual bear territory) a 6.5" .357 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk stocked with either hardcast Buffalo Bore 180 gr. or Double Tap 200 gr.

Alternatively, I might carry my 4" XD .45 with Buffalo Bore 255 gr. hardcast rounds.

I also carry bear spray.

I hike on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska spring through fall. We have grizz and blackies and really mean moose. I don't feel undergunned with the .45 and I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with a 10mm (which is very common here). I'm not a big guy, so I don't carry a .44 or bigger. I just won't be able to make a second shot with those.

When in bear territory, be aware, bring friends (and a dog if possible) and try to enjoy the outdoors.
Old November 2, 2016, 03:13 PM   #46
RIDE-RED 350r

I found the Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig to be worth every penny I paid for it. Very happy with the quality of the product and would buy again.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster
Old November 2, 2016, 04:46 PM   #47
Deaf Smith

Just remember folks, bear spray is NOT 100 percent effective.

Just google Todd Orr and what happened to him.

He did have a 10mm, scoped, but in his backback. His bear spray failed (bear ran right thought the cloud and grabbed him. He played possum and then tried to limp out. 10 min later the bear grabbed him again. He did the possum thing again and finally made it out alive.)

I feel bear spray is best when used to ward off bears that are a 'nuance'. Like wandering into ones camp or just blocking the trail.

But when the bear is charging, a good powerful firearm used WITH SKILL, is the better route. If you don't have skill with firearms though, maybe bear spray is the answer.

And most importantly, have whatever you carry for defense RIGHT THERE FOR QUICK DEPLOYMENT. Having attached to the backpack just makes it unavailable of sudden need.

Deaf
Old November 2, 2016, 06:45 PM   #48
agtman

Quote:
He did have a 10mm, scoped, but in his backback. * * *
Which is a point I've been making in these "Bear" threads for years:

inaccessible when needed = suicidal.

It doesn't matter if you're carrying an autoloader or a wheelgun that's chambered for the baddest bear-stopping cartridge on the planet. It's got to be kept IMMEDIATELY ready at hand.

That's why a center-chest holster is about the best compromise rig for when you're hiking/camping/fishing/hunting in bear country, and you want or need your hands kept free for doing something else. The gun is right there if Mr Bear suddenly appears. I wouldn't use one for EDC-ing my G20 or G29 concealed in urban environs. I'm dressed differently than when I'm in the deep woods and boonies, so I've got other IWB and OWB holsters for urban concealment.

Quote:
And most importantly, have whatever you carry for defense RIGHT THERE FOR QUICK DEPLOYMENT. Having attached to the backpack just makes it unavailable of sudden need.
Yes, correct. Worse is inside the backpack, which I've seen happen with a couple of guys who used to carry those 5-shot boat-anchor mega-magnum revolvers. They got tired of the weight on their hips as they were hiking to a fishing spot, and so when they reached the river bank and started setting up for casting they removed their guns and holsters and dumped them down inside their packs.

Fortunately, there were no hungry bruins around at the time.

Last edited by agtman; November 2, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old November 2, 2016, 07:53 PM   #49
Onward Allusion

I had a 44 when I hiked Glacier and felt pretty secure, but if I had to do it over, I'd carry G20 or even a G31. Quicker follow-ups and higher capacity 'cause misses are pretty much guaranteed.
Old November 2, 2016, 08:43 PM   #50
osbornk

I talked with the president of our local bear hunting club a few months ago and asked him what his club used to hunt bears (they use dogs to tree them). He said they usually use long barreled Ruger revolvers in either 357 or 44 Magnum.