The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
two 70

Timney trigger for JC Higgins Model 50

Recently acquired a nice Model 50 30-06 that is a good shooter but has a horrible trigger pull. Timney appears to be the poplar choice to replace the original but I have read that gunsmithing may be required to make the safety work properly. This rifle has a left side wing type safety that I can live with as it clears the scope with standard weaver mounts. In this configuration is there any chance that the Timney would install without the need of professional assistance. I'm over a hundred miles from the nearest competent gunsmith and was hoping to make this upgrade myself.

Gun Control is not having to say I missed you.
Old May 27, 2013, 01:51 AM   #2
natman

There's a chance it would drop right in, but I wouldn't count on it.

I do know that the trigger geometry of the Model 50 is very sensitive to any changes in the position of the sear / trigger interface. I did a light stoning to polish the surfaces and the cocking piece moved far enough forward that I had to readjust the safety.

Also note that the trigger is mounted to the trigger guard not the action. This means that it is even more important than usual that the action screws are tight because they are holding the trigger together in addition to their usual duties.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Scorch

The Model 50 trigger is mounted to the trigger guard/magazine, the sear is mounted to the action. In order to install a Timney trigger, you need to knock the trigger pivot pin out of the trigger guard and remove the trigger, remove the sear retaining pin and sear, install the new trigger, install the retaining pin. Done. I have done this a number of times, it is not conjecture.