The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

sticky plastic help

My bushnell range finder has turned sticky. Just pulled it out of my hunting box and the plastic has turned supper sticky don't know if it is age or maybe bug repelant has gotten on it, but it feels like glue. Does anyone have a cure for this? Some chemical that might re-cure the plastic so to speak? I know it's an el chepo but it works and gives me some idea of the range.
bb
Old October 26, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Write Bushnell and complain.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
wpsdlrg

I had the same happen to a pair of compact binoculars. It is the outer "soft" coating that has turned sticky (partially dissolved).....probably from heat. The only cure is to use a petroleum-based solvent (I used carb cleaner) and clean off all of the guck - that is, take off all of the coating. It will be a messy job - and take awhile to get it all off.

Once the coating has been removed, you'll have a serviceable unit, but it won't look very good. So, you could paint it, or something like that.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
mete

It's probably made in China crap with a coating that deteriorates in time .An Improper formulation.Yes complain.
Old October 27, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
dieselbeef

my binoculars did that too...i used a towel w/wd40 on it...made em unsticky..took some off but it worked out ok
Old October 27, 2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Buzzard Bait

WD 40 to the rescue

Thanks, that sounds like an easy fix I will try the WD 40 sure won't hurt
bb
Old October 27, 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
dieselbeef

yeah i just saoked a small towel with it and rubbed and rubbed...theyre better this way now i think. and the lube wont harm any of the lenses or anyhting
Old October 27, 2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Slopemeno

Sun screen does it too, and to a number of plastics.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Keepin_Jeepin

Goof off is the hard stuff and goo gone works really well and is safe for most finishes. Read the bottles but for anything sticky you cant go wrong
Old October 31, 2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Buzzard Bait

Thanks to everbody

I was going to use WD40 but the can was empty, so I took a coarse cloth and put some paint thinner on it did some rubbing and the top coat just peeled right off no more sticky. I followed up with some armor all and it looks good. I think the top coat was something that gave it sort of a soft non slip feel. Its one of the lowest cost models but works well for me. I only have sight in one eye and depth perception for me is very poor. I don't range everthing that comes along like the hunters on tv. When I go to a stand that I'm not used to when I first get there I range different objects, that stump or tree and different objects. Then if a deer or something walks out I can look at it and know that its about half way to something or twice as far to something I messured and I'm good to go.
I did get a personal message from someone inside Bushnell offering to help and offering me sugestions on fixes, I will remember that.

Thanks
bb

Last edited by Buzzard Bait; October 31, 2012 at 07:49 PM.