The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 3, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Anthony66

shot 100 sporting clays today...

did really well with my new 20 gauge White Lightning. Hit over half of my targets, 52 to be exact. I love my new gun and I love shooting sporting clays! Can't wait 'till I take it out and do some actual bird hunting...
Old May 3, 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
oneounceload

Awesome! Where did you shoot? I shot a company appreciation course today as well as yesterday - had a lot of fun - even my wife and her fellow employees, (who hadn't really shot before) had a great time - nice and addicting
Old May 3, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Anthony66

Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays outside of Allentown, PA. Old abandoned mining camp. Some of the clays are launched from inside of abandoned building. Others are launched over small lakes. Really cool place, but a bit expensive. They even have a chopper pad to accompany NYC/Philly executives and such...
Old May 3, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Nick S.

Also did sporting clays.

I only scored 45 out of 100 but it's a tie for my all time best. Today I played around with different choke tubes (skeet, Mod, & Full). Had a blast.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Anthony66

I used SK/IC 95% of the time. Pulled out the Mod choke for a few long targets.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Nick S.

Full?

I thought I'd need the full for the long shots. I asked one of the better shooters what he was using. He said just the IC. I asked "For the whole course?" He said "For the whole year."
Old May 4, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A good start! 50% for the first time ain't too shabby.

But don't obsess on score. Concentrate on shooting one target at a time, be safe and have fun.

I mostly use IC/LM in an O/U, LM for a repeater. If you don't have an LM, yet, use IC.

I like 8.5 shot for most presentations, and often use 7.5s for longer shots, edge on shots and those #$%^&*( rabbits instead of swapping chokes.

Enjoy....
Old May 4, 2012, 08:18 AM   #8
oneounceload

Lots of folks obsess about chokes when they should focus on the bird. Between 25 and 35 yards, where most sporting targets seem to range, the IC or LM will do the job. A Cylinder or Skeet for an incomer in your face and a Modified for the few really far targets, and you are good to go for just about any course.

Nice to see some folks out having fun shooting clays..........it is a fun addiction
Old May 4, 2012, 10:12 AM   #9
gvw3

My son and I are going to try this for the 1st time this year. We have Mossberg 500's. You are saying use the Mod choke and #8 shot?
Old May 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
oneounceload

I am saying to use what works best for you at your course - where I normally shoot, the IC choke works just great for about 80% of all the targets presented. The remaining 20% would be better using something like a Modified - but that is at MY course.

Remember, unlike trap or skeet, which are the same everywhere like a tennis court, sporting clay venues are all completely different - just like every golf course, so what works well for me might not at yours.

Here's a chart from Briley showing what THEY suggest for various targets at various distances:

http://www.briley.com/2009/sportingclays.html

It gives a decent idea on what to use - but don't obsess about it too much. At 25 yards, the difference between the IC and M is negligible.

Focus on three things - safety first, the target flight line, having fun

Old May 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #11
BigJimP

Glad to hear you got out and had some fun.

I shot at that club - a few yrs ago/when I was on some business back east ....I thought it was fun .
Old May 4, 2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good sporting courses have,IMO, an 80/15/5% breakdown on target difficulty.

That translates as 80% of the presentations can be easily taken as singles, 15% provide a greater challenge, and 5% will leave you cussin'. That's by a reasonably adept shooter.

About the same with chokes. 80%, use IC or LM, 15% need a Mod or Skeet, 5% Full or Cylinder.

As was said, though, do not obsess on chokes. Obsess on centering the targets.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Anthony66

a good friend on mine who shoots allot of skeet and I went out for another 100 sporting clays this week. Although we didn't really keep score, we were BS'ing allot, I felt no pressure and I know I did better than earlier this week. Everything is beginning to feel more natural, and with all the help I've received here, things can only get better! Thanks guys.

I ordered an extended four choke set from Carlson's in SK/IC/LM/M. One of these days I'm going to take the 1100 out and see the differences between the two guns. For one thing, it's a 12 gauge. The 20 gauge White Lightning is a real delight to shoot. Very light recoil with the loads I'm shooting...
Old May 4, 2012, 10:44 PM   #14
M4BGRINGO

Last time I shot there I hit 84/100 using Improved Modified in bottom barrel and Full in the top barrel, # 7 1/2 shot. I shoot almost the entire course as Simo Pairs. There are two stations that I will do on Report. This is all the 'B' course. Best I have ever done on the 'A' course is 72 or so, too many tough targets on that one!

I plan on using more open chokes next time and #8 shot.

I think I have been there 5 times so far. Try to get out there whenever I can, one of the nicest Sporting Clays places around.

Be careful, Sporting Clays is addictive, have fun!
Old May 5, 2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Anthony66

addictive and expensive! I've been using my credit card, it's much easier that way, until the end of the month...
Old May 6, 2012, 12:12 PM   #16
BigJimP

We've discussed chokes....but as to shells on a sporting course:

I know the typical course is only 100 targets ....but with some typical 2 shot singles, you get some broken targets that you'll re-shoot, etc...I usually carry 8 boxes..( just in case ) 6 boxes of 1 oz 8's, / 1 box of 9's / 1 box of 7 1/2's all of them are loaded @ 1225 fps.

.....in a 20ga I'll carry a little different mix ...all at 7/8 oz ...but 4 boxes of 8's , 3 boxes of 9's, and 1 box of 7 1/2's ....and at the same 1225 fps...

I use a "Rugged Gear" brand push cart to drag all my junk around with me.../ usually 2 of us share 1 cart ...
Old May 6, 2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Anthony66

I bought a case or a flat, or, whatever they're called of Federal Target Loads 7/8 oz #8's. I think I'm going to try the IC/LM combination when the Carlson's arrive. I just wanna' have fun shooting and not worry about hanging an abacus off the cart to figure how to shoot the next pair! As my best friend Jimmy always says, "you're not the brightest bulb in the pack!"
Old May 6, 2012, 03:02 PM   #18
zippy13

Quote:
I bought a case or a flat, or, whatever they're called…
For the newbies, shot shells used to be bulk packed in cases of 500 (20-boxes of 25 shells -- 5 wide by two deep by two high). I don't recall if it was in the late 1980s or the '90s when they started making flats of 250 shells that were only a single layer high. IINM, the change was made to comply with revised shipping regulations.
Old May 6, 2012, 03:41 PM   #19
PJR

I can't understand shooters who look at a target and debate whether to replace their skeet chokes with an IC as if that extra 5 thou of constriction makes the difference between hitting and missing. While they are spinning chokes I'm watching the path of the target, learning what it is doing and deciding where I'm going to break it and where to look so I can. Chokes get thought about last and I only change them if I don't think I have enough for a long, edge on presentation. Usually I shoot light mod and rarely change them.

Here's a video on visualization that I've found very helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLT-LrT-0Fc

I also don't confuse myself with a wide assortment of shells either. Usually I go out with 4 boxes of 1 ounce #8 and 1 box of 1-1/8 ounce 7-1/2 for longer targets.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:33 PM   #20
oneounceload

Shot 2 100 target registered shoots today............got my butt kicked by some, lost my butt n a few where I should have cleaned the station - that's the deal with sporting clays.................but it is all fun and all good...........even if it was 94 degrees this afternoon here
Old May 7, 2012, 07:01 AM   #21
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shot by myself Saturday, the way I prefer to practice. Did 75 SC targets and a bad round of wobble.

For SC, used IC/LM and 8.5s for most shots. First I tried a single from each launcher, then Simos. I hit every target when doing the simos, just not every time. Worked on a a couple problem targets some, like 10 shots each.

I know this course. Had some 7 1/2s along and other chokes, didn't need either.

While I love shooting with my buddies, this is a better way to get better at shooting.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
Shot by myself Saturday, the way I prefer to practice…
…While I love shooting with my buddies, this is a better way to get better at shooting.
My experience is exactly the opposite. Try to shoot with folks who are much better than you -- watch and learn. I've known several solo shooting, self-taught, types and they never seemed to be making any progress. They just seemed to be repeating the same mistakes and stayed in the same class year after year. YMMV.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:39 PM   #23
oneounceload

Absolutely agree Zippy - I tend to rise to the level of folks I am shooting with; if nothing else, I can always ask for a little help on a killer station and get some insight I might not have thought about before
Old May 7, 2012, 07:08 PM   #24
Anthony66

I will be heading to NJ on Thursday and Friday to shoot at M&M Game Preserve. Home of last year's US Open for sporting clays. I can't wait!!!

My four Carlson's chokes arrived today, so I'll be taking them along. My shooting partner told me that many of the targets at M&M are unusually long, so I'll slip in the IC/LM combo with some Federal #8's...
Old May 7, 2012, 07:38 PM   #25
M4BGRINGO

I have only shot the "B" course at M&M, I did not do the "A" course which is what I am sure the US Open used.

There were some high targets there which the wind played havoc with the day we were there.

If you are from the Central Jersey or South Jersey area I found a private club that does 10-stand twice a month which is open to the public. Not as scenic as M&M, Lehigh, or Cedar Creek but it had some pretty tough stands! They shoot across a lake, very little walking, lots of standing. It is located in Falls Township PA right across the river from Trenton.