The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1
steelrat

Concealed permit

What is everyone’s opinion on a concealed permit? Pros/cons?
Old March 8, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
slow944

I just requalified for my CHL last month. I "NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT"
Old March 8, 2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Smokin Joe

Every law abiding citizen should apply take classes, train, apply for that permt, and carry all the time. Guns should be as common as cell phones.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
steelrat

What kind of background checks do they do? Once you get one, do they monitor anything? A wise old guy told me once, the less they know about you and the guns you have, the better off you are...
Old March 8, 2007, 12:18 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

I suggest you check your state laws concerning your questions, each state is different, and the fed regs also apply.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:35 PM   #6
dairycreek

Quote:
What is everyone’s opinion on a concealed permit? Pros/cons?
For those who are willing to take seriously the rights and responsibilities that comes with a concealed carry permit - it is a good thing indeed.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 8, 2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Castaway

I think if you are trying to get opinions here, your target audience is going to be just a little biased. I'm sure someone may reply on why not, but it's the nature of some to be negative. I remember when stationed in Panama, Noriega's minister of propaganda had also been Samoza's. The joke going around was that at one time he was asked to write an editorial on Jesus Christ. His response was, "for or against?"
Old March 8, 2007, 03:39 PM   #8
inkie

Steelrat

Its best to research and read every article on concealed carry and not take our advice on this very important decision. You may decide it is not for you. You may be interested in the "United States Concealed Carry Association" 877-677 1919. Ask your questions they may have the literature that may help you to decide.
Old March 8, 2007, 04:11 PM   #9
AK103K

Its just another form of gun registration and population control.
Old March 8, 2007, 05:25 PM   #10
hpg

Greatest thing since canned biscuits...............hpg
Old March 8, 2007, 06:22 PM   #11
PointOneSeven

A way to raise revenue in Washington State. You are still the same person before and after permit, just your wallet's $60 lighter and you've got ink on your fingers.
Old March 8, 2007, 07:10 PM   #12
AK103K

Next they'll want DNA so you can exercise your "right".

There are only one or two states who treat their citizens as such, the rest are just gathering names.
Old March 8, 2007, 07:15 PM   #13
Erratic

What kind of background checks do they do? Once you get one, do they monitor anything? A wise old guy told me once, the less they know about you and the guns you have, the better off you are

IMO if you are indeed a law obiding citezen, it shouldnt matter if they know about your guns. But if you plan on some shady business, then perhaps you wouldn't want to tell.
Old March 8, 2007, 07:56 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just remember that a concealed weapons license is a license to carry a concealed weapon, no more and no less. The license does not give you any more rights, responsibilities or authority than you have without it. The license does not make you a police officer. The only thing it can do, if you are involved in a shooting, is to prevent you from being prosecuted for illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

You have no powers of arrest other than those any citizen has, you have no authority over anyone except what you can enforce with your gun. You can capture a criminal and hold him at gunpoint, but if he simply walks away, you shoot him at your peril. You can still be prosecuted for any other crime you commit, or sued in civil court for any damages you cause. In most states, the term "concealed weapon" means a gun; it rarely includes non-lethal devices like sprays, which are illegal to carry in some states that have few limitations on concealed carry of a firearm.

Jim
Old March 8, 2007, 08:06 PM   #15
EJJR

"I think if you are trying to get opinions here, your target audience is going to be just a little biased."

No doubt; I laughed pretty good just reading the thread header.

Seriously though, I think it is a good thing in theory, in letter... well that remains to be seen. Its not a perfect solution; And the alternative of anyone being allowed to carry doesnt seem to be any better.

Without any form of registration/permitting, IMO, it would create a very paranoid society. It may have worked in the 1800's, but these days....

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old March 8, 2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Smokin Joe

the purpose of the concealed carry permit is ....

To keep the cops off your back.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; March 8, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 8, 2007, 09:45 PM   #17
John28226

If your state has them, get one; in not, lobby for changing that. Either way contact your elected representatives and ask them to support a federal law for nationwide reciprocity.

I hope I answered your question.
John
Charlotte, NC
Old March 8, 2007, 09:52 PM   #18
Foofer

If you're level headed and responsible, it's GREAT. However, if you have anger management issues, best travel with a water pistol
Old March 8, 2007, 10:27 PM   #19
gopack

I have a CC permit, but rarely carry. I go to too many places where one can't carry. My prime reason for having it is that the concealed weapons laws are so cockamamie that I would rather not inadvertently trip one going to the range or other legal pursuits. Secondary reason is that the Commonwealth of Virginia bans the purchase of more than one handgun per month if you don't have one. Just in case I come across the deals of a century, I'd prefer not to have a block for that.

Then again, I just might want to carrry.
Old March 8, 2007, 10:53 PM   #20
tony pasley

I personally feel it should not be needful for us to bribe the state to carry concealed. Since we do have to bribe the state to carry concealed everyone who gets a permit equals votes to elected officals, so to protect us from our elected officals the more people who get permits the less likely to pass more gun laws so they get to keep thier jobs.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:21 AM   #21
croyance

Such a general question that covers so much ground.
I wish that every state had a Vermont style law. Failing that, something like Georgia where if you are legal to buy a gun, you get a license with payment, fingerprints (could do without that), and forms. No gun's make, model, or serial number specified.

Cons? It isn't accepted socially by people everywhere.
I remember one time traveling on buisness and locking away my Kahr so I could go into a place that served alcohol (complying with state law). The person I was with recounted it later as a "cannon". Its a damned Kahr! Panic elsewhere.
It is some wear and tear on a gun, so my nicely blued ones stay locked away. Yes, though it is concealed carry, I like pretty guns. We all have odd quirks.
In some places it really is registration, since the gun's serial number must be specified if you use it for concealed carry.
A mish-mash of reciprocity. Makes traveling an exercise in internet research. However, since the majority of states have some concealed carry law, it is better to keep things on that level - work each state individually to liberalize the laws and to increase reciprocity. Recent political events makes that tougher. If we had a national CCW law, Pelosi and company could get rid of concealed carry nationwide.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:29 AM   #22
AZGunLover

"the gun's serial number must be specified if you use it for concealed carry." Not in Arizona! I have a concealed WEAPON permit. I can carry ANY legal weapon.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:44 AM   #23
Hayley

"Once you get one, do they monitor anything? A wise old guy told me once, the less they know about you and the guns you have, the better off you are"

Are you asking whether Big Brother gonna come and git me?
Old March 9, 2007, 02:13 AM   #24
scsov509

One thing here that is a tremendous plus with a CPL is that I don't have to wait at all if I want to buy a pistol. The CPL enables me to purchase the pistol and walk out with it the same day. I suppose if all I ever bought was private party handguns then this wouldn't be an issue, but every once and a while I want something brand new and sure don't want to endure some waiting period.
Old March 9, 2007, 06:23 AM   #25
fattsgalore

PRO's: You can carry a gun with impunity. Plus there's no waiting period on new gun purchases. Damn you three day wait, DAMN YOU!!!! At least I'm not in one of those states that has a ten day wait or one gun a month policy.

CON's: It's expensive and in my state you got to go get finger printed.

Thats about it in my opinion.