The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 15, 2016, 08:33 PM   #1
BoogieMan

I have NJ tags to fill

So in NJ we have to get individual permits to buy handguns. I ended up with 3 new ones. I filled one on a nicely marked Femaru M37 in beautiful condition. So I have 2 more to fill in the next 90 days. I would love some input. Price isn't a big concern. I'm thinking another 1911 in a semi-custom like a Wilson or Less Bauer. Have also considered something in a SA Revolver, perhaps a 2 and a CZ75..
I don't care for plastic guns. I have a XVR, 686+, 2x 1911, 1903, 96, 22/45, Fromer Stop
So if you had to buy 2 handguns in the next 90 days what would you be after?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 15, 2016, 08:39 PM   #2
SpareMag

Hmmmm.....
Sig P210
FN FiveseveN
Boberg??
Classic made in Belgium Browning HP?
Number matched Luger PO8?
Old November 15, 2016, 08:41 PM   #3
BoogieMan

@sparemag- I like the way you think. I have a matching luger. The p210 and high power are both moved to the shortlist
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 15, 2016, 08:45 PM   #4
SpareMag

We should all suffer your agonies... <ggg>
Old November 15, 2016, 08:59 PM   #5
gbclarkson

An STI 2011? HK Mark 23? Perhaps a S&W 952? Korth is within your price range.
Old November 15, 2016, 09:40 PM   #6
BoogieMan

All the Korth I have seen have been outside of what I'm willing to spend on a new revolver. For $6k plus I would buy a historic gun. Like an arrow cross marked luger or a USF 1911.
I do like the STI 2011, not familiar with a s&with 952.I'll check it out.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 12:18 AM   #7
BigJimP

A pair of Wilson's .....one in 9mm ...and one in .45acp would be my vote.

Wilson has probably 150 guns, in various models, ready to ship. Go to their website to " shop" and then current inventory. Right now in full sized CQB models he has about 30 guns - and a pair of all stainless upgraded models ( a 9mm & a .45 )....that are very similar specs...and I think one is $3,900 & other about $ 3,600 ( missing some options but nice guns).

My own pair of Wilson's are 2 of the best guns I own....and one is my primary carry gun ( Protector , all stnls in 9mm)...
Old November 16, 2016, 12:23 AM   #8
BigJimP

If you want a high end SA revolver....look for a Freedom Arms....

I had a 4 3/4" octagonal barrel, model 83 made several years ago in .357 mag....and it's a great gun as well for around $3k.
Old November 16, 2016, 10:09 AM   #9
2ndsojourn

BoogieMan, you shoulda got four permits!

How 'bout a S&W Model 41? or Hammerli?
Old November 16, 2016, 04:34 PM   #10
BoogieMan

Quote:
How 'bout a S&W Model 41? or Hammerli?
I dont shoot any rimfire competition. Those guns would be wasted on me. I could have done 4 permits, but then I would have to stack things perfectly every 30 days or try for an extension. Local PD is kind of a pain in the rear. And, I still have guns I have never shot in the cabinet.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 04:41 PM   #11
BoogieMan

Quote:
If you want a high end SA revolver....look for a Freedom Arms....
Nice guns except for the horrible laser etching on the side of barrel. There are a couple of the premium grades on Gunbroker in the $2500 range. I would love to find a FEG/Femaru 48M Tokarev
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 04:47 PM   #12
DaleA

'New gun' day is always a treat!

However, the time limits and restrictions you face in NJ sound really miserable.

For those of us in other states let's remember most folk in NJ probably didn't think things would get this bad for them until it was too late.
Old November 16, 2016, 05:37 PM   #13
BoogieMan

Quote:
For those of us in other states let's remember most folk in NJ probably didn't think things would get this bad for them until it was too late.
Those of us in NJ that are 2A friendly have been so outnumbered that we dont have a chance. I am to young to have participated in any of the fights that were lost to get to this point. Please remember, there are lots of great hunting and 2A loving Americans trapped here by their jobs and other obligations. Many of us in rural S. NJ would love to split the state.
DaleA- is right. Dont take the 2A rights for granted. We are actually hoping for some Fed laws to be passed that will ease our suffering. I do plan to move to America some day. lol
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 05:58 PM   #14
BigJimP

Freedom Arms will omit the lettering/etcvhing on the barrel, but I don't remember if there was a charge to omit it or not....( Wilson Combat will also omit their lettering as well on their slides ...)...

I like the lettering on mine ( the Freedom Arms and my Wilsons)...but you should order whatever you want.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1339790943
Old November 17, 2016, 03:03 PM   #15
Chainsaw.

Jersey huh? Well, you could start with the new nerf carbine, then maybe pick up a super soaker

I keed. South Jersey gets drug into the mire with the north end. Shame. Kinda like rural Washington getting drug by the regressive liberalism of Seattle/king county.

Anyway. Everyone has to have a six shot .357 in their stable.
Old November 17, 2016, 04:23 PM   #16
BoogieMan

Quote:
Anyway. Everyone has to have a six shot .357 in their stable.
+1. I have a 686+ Talo. One of my 15 favorites.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 19, 2016, 04:15 AM   #17
peggysue

I notices you have some Hungarians as do I. You could always go period Astro-Hungarian too.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attach...ey-grail-2.jpg
Old November 19, 2016, 05:56 PM   #18
BoogieMan

@peggysue- I don't have any of those 3. The bottom 2 are on my short list. I'm not familiar with the top one. Are they all made in Budapest or are they Austrian made?
I am 1st Gen born in the US. Big fan of the history of my ancestors. A bit of an update. The German contract m37 that I bought from gunbroker turned out to be a gem. Amazing condition for a handgun made in 1943.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 21, 2016, 09:14 AM   #19
redlightrich

Have also considered something in a SA Revolver, perhaps a 2 and a CZ75..

I assume you started a new thought and forgot the comma after 2? The 75 in all variants ( even the 85) is a terrific gun, but CZ can be a little difficult to find in stock.

The Luger is a great idea. You can hold it, enjoy it, and it will not lose value.

Ruger makes a nice revolver reasonably priced. GP100 in 357 is a nice gun. You can also shoot 38 thru it.

If you want something special ( like a Texas BBQ gun) I know where there is a SIG X5 Blue Moon 9mm in stock. 3250 is the price. I like it, but can't justify the cost. If you can, I will tell you where it is.

I also live in NJ, with it's road blocks and permits and 30 day wait and so on. I have never requested 4 initially, and thought that 6 could be done ( theoretically, using a 90 day extension) but the detective who was there when I tried last to get more than 3 told me 3 was the max at one time. I didn't argue and did as he requested.

Nice problem to have though, 3 permits, and money to buy what you would like!!!

Enjoy the process, and give the CZ's a long look. They appear utilitarian, but they are solid, accurate and respond very well to some simple and effective mods that will make the trigger better.

Rich
Old November 21, 2016, 02:17 PM   #20
Model12Win

A Webley revolver and a Makarov autopistol.
Old November 24, 2016, 08:55 PM   #21
JDBerg

Since you can't carry in NJ I'd get 2 great range / target guns, a Dan Wesson Pointman 38 (PM-38 in .38 Super) and then I'd get a Sig P226 Legion Single Action. A CZ 75B 9mm isn't a great option since you'd be limited to 10 round factory mags in Jersey, 16 rounders are illegal.