The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 29, 2013, 02:47 AM   #26
Chowder

Quote:
Just make sure you either take the baiting class or keep it on the down low.
Others do a honey burn, still others call (like you would for coyotes). A moose calf in distress is a good one. It's legal to call but be prepared as the wrong kind of bear could come in. Same goes for baiting.

A great place for black bears is the mountains around Kachemak Bay. Especially later on when the berries are in full force (or anywhere else berries are abundant).

The pass is an awesome place. I miss Alaska!

Edit- the 1895 is a great rifle. I bet I carried mine more than any other rifle I own. Especially in the thick stuff.

Edit the edit- oops, I see yours is an 1894. Don't have one for those but want one :-) What I yours chambered in?
Next year I might set up a bait station. I would have this year but without proper planing I did not have time to register my bait station and have the time to keep an eye on it. But this summer is a learning experience.

My 1894 is chambered in .44 mag. Topped with a Leopold VX-3 2-7, sighted in with 300 grain federal cast core.

Quote:
Great pics & a really nice narrative. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Thanks for the kind words. I have spent a lot of time reading the great hunting stories on TFL before I decided to get into hunting myself so it is the least I can do to return the favor!