The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 24, 2006, 09:29 AM   #1
FiringDragon

Say It Ain't So

Does anyone happen to know if, in fact, silhouettes are not allowed in NY State for target shooting?

I remember reading something about another state, but was not aware of NY... what's the logic in that rule anyway?

Thanks.
Old January 24, 2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Chris Phelps

http://www.huntingnavigator.com/SRNY1.htm

That is a list of shooting ranges in NY. a good portion of them list rifle and pistol Silhouette. I would say that it, in fact, is not true.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 24, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3
SBrocker8

I've heard of that as well, but I have no clue which state it was in. The logic is that sillhouettes get people used to the idea of shooting black people? Something along those lines. Personally, any resistance I can get to hesitating to shoot a person, I'll take. I'd HATE to hesitate when my butt's on the line and wind up getting killed because of it.
Old January 24, 2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Wyo Cowboy

Next will be the "Martians For A More Peaceful Solar System" group complaining that the Green sillhouette targets are racist!
Old January 24, 2006, 04:51 PM   #5
hIPSHOT33

It sounds like a California thing . God help us .
Old January 25, 2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Alas, some years ago, we were forced to stop using the NRA B-26 (I think?) silhouettes and go to a white target with a black line silhouette only, after a minority group raised Caine. Have to be PC, ya know.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 25, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Mikeyboy

There is an outdoor range I go to once in a while in PA that does not allow "Targets in any Human form". Make no sense to me. The pistol range I go to has several human sillouettes plus two that are photos of actual people, One is a hostage holder with a white woman, being held by a white guy, the other is a white guy looking nasty holding I think a knife. As a white male, I would not be offened if a black, asian, or whatever shooter used the white guy target for pratice. If somehow NY liberals want to make shooting just a sport and ignoring the fact that guns are also used to shoot people, they are being silly. There is also a Glow in the dark skeleton target at my range, but I hear that due to complaints from glowing skeleton and liberals groups who feel glowing skeletons should be allowed in our society, they are no longer used.
Old January 25, 2006, 12:07 PM   #8
FiringDragon

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still not clear on what the status is in NY legally speaking.

All I know is that a number of catalogs/mail order places (including The Sportsman's Guide) will not ship them to a NY address, and none of the stores aroung here carry them...

It is silly, no matter what the justification is (PC or otherwise).
Old January 25, 2006, 12:30 PM   #9
mete

The original Bianchi matches had a silhouette target but when the NRA took it over they changed to a different target since they didn't want to be accused of 'playing at shooting people " !!!
Old January 25, 2006, 12:49 PM   #10
sirlonewolf

Well I too have been to those ranges where they do not allow targets in any human form. Most of those are either city or county run facilities. So you can almost understand the logic behind the city council's decision there. I too was a bit perturbed when they got away from the black and white targets. But here in Florida we use the NRA B-21 which is white paper with a blue silhouette. Which is fine with me because inmates here where blue uniforms. I am still good to go.
Old January 25, 2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....here in Florida we use the NRA B-21 which is white paper with a blue silhouette. Which is fine with me because inmates here where blue uniforms. I am still good to go.
Do those targets show the silhouette hung up in razor wire ?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 25, 2006, 02:09 PM   #12
FiringDragon

"Which is fine with me because inmates here where blue uniforms. I am still good to go."

I thought that was funny as hell
Old January 25, 2006, 02:50 PM   #13
JohnLizCas

silhouette targets

At my club we are only allowed to use the white bottle shaped silhouettes for targets, Man, are those white bottle shaped guys going to be upset when they find out. LOL John
Old January 25, 2006, 05:04 PM   #14
RioShooter

Texas Target

The qualification target for a CHL IS a silouette; 50 rounds in the COM gets you a score of 250 (175 to pass).
Old January 25, 2006, 05:29 PM   #15
shield20

No problem ever using, buying, etc. silhouettes in NY. Several ranges & stores offer the B-27. In fact, NY Corrections, certified armored car drivers, armed security etc. use it for qualification, as did our PD and Academy.
Old January 26, 2006, 04:55 AM   #16
rkba_net

Massachusetts law says that state-licensed gun clubs "shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."
Old January 26, 2006, 06:04 AM   #17
utaherrn

Quote:
Massachusetts law says that state-licensed gun clubs "shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."
Sometimes I think politicians are dumber than a bag of hammers.
Old January 26, 2006, 07:42 AM   #18
Acegoesbang

lol why paractice shooting a man size target when you can kill varmints lol :-) if you can hit a ground hod rock chuck prarie dod fox or coyote why would ya need to know if ya could hit a man size target????????????