The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 1, 2009, 04:32 PM   #26
markj

The only gun I love is a plastic blow up model.

Guns are tools to be used for a specific purpose, they cannot love you in return like say a puppy can.

Love your kids and family, use the gun to protect them if needed or provide them with food.

Loving a gun is like loving a favorite fence post.....
Old September 1, 2009, 04:34 PM   #27
spacemanspiff

Wow, your triggers go off pretty easily, professor. I have to squeeze mine to get anything to happen. I hear its common in men my age.
Old September 1, 2009, 04:50 PM   #28
Wildalaska

Quote:
loving a favorite fence post.....
hey so yer the one who was playin' with my first wife

WildmaysheripAlaska ™
Old September 1, 2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Guns are tools to be used for a specific purpose, they cannot love you in return like say a puppy can.
Your puppy doesn't love you in return either. It's just that they're pack animals. Unlike guns... mine, at least.
Old September 1, 2009, 04:57 PM   #30
NickySantoro

I don't "love" any inanimate object. I do "appreciate" their usefulness, depending upon the object.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; September 1, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Inflammatory remarks
Old September 1, 2009, 06:48 PM   #31
B. Lahey

The only guns I love are the ones passed down through my family, and even then I can recognize that they are not perfect mechanical creations.

The rest of them I just like, or don't like. The ones I don't like anymore, I send to Wildalaska and he conjures up the voodoo spirits and turns them into piles of money.

Then I get more guns I like.

Folks can say my guns suck, that's ok. Sometimes they are right.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:18 PM   #32
Wildalaska

Quote:
Folks can say my guns suck, that's ok. Sometimes they are right.
Dude that Hakim truly sucked

WildaninsulttohumanityAlaska ™
Old September 1, 2009, 07:23 PM   #33
Big Caliber

I don't love my gun, we just have an understanding.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:28 PM   #34
raftman

Love is a funny word. One can love their spouse, or one can love root beer, and hopefully it doesn't mean the same thing in both cases. If we're talking in the latter sense of the word, then loving a gun is just fine.

I don't think I'd ever personally say I love any of my guns, I certainly like them... well except one.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:35 PM   #35
21CFA

Wildy:

No your problem is NOT, "...You give me too much credit. Im just a poor depraved cynic ." Your problem is that you have a computer that is logged to this website. (You and I are not the only contributors with that malady.) To your question: Yes,I do love my gun, and all of the above-mentioned comments are fitting. But the Real Question is, "Is your gun's name 'Loretta', or 'Karlos'? I reckoned over this awhile, and found that none of my guns have names. I just usually refer to their caliber, and gender never comes into the conversation. Just because "Gaston" is Glock's daddy's name does not make it a Wussy gun; latest BATFE (7/2009) numbers have Glock selling TWICE as many pieces as any other single maker in the U.S. HMMmmmm.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:11 PM   #36
yamaha24

Love my gun? Well I tend to love all of them the same,,, untill I get bored with one and I move on and love another gun and so on and so on,, you get the picture,, some guys really love there gun or gun's, can be a little creepy , I like strange gun sometimes to
Old September 1, 2009, 10:36 PM   #37
CUBAN REDNECK

Just an instrument

I neither like nor dislike or love/hate my firearms. To me they are just instruments of recreation and self-defense. I do appreciate well made firearms over ones that are cheap and unreliable. They are also commodities that can be exchanged for money from time to time. I also prefer being armed as opposed to unarmed.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:00 PM   #38
Kyo

you can love an inanimate object, half way anyway. You can like the way it looks, the way it feels, what it does for you, and most importantly HOW it makes you feel.
Just like women. You like how they look, the way they feel, what they do for you, and how they make you feel.
The gun+dog don't talk back though, i suppose thats why i love my dog and my gun so much. Cause, the dog just loves me no matter what, and I love that about my dog
Seriously the subject of the gun, using the gun, and just the subject of guns gave me, my dad, and lots of others in my family to hang out more often. Same with reloading. The whole culture promotes hanging out with friends/family. How do you not love that?
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:23 PM   #39
flippycat

Best said by Tina Turner..."What's Love Got to Do with It".

It in my opinion it is about choices, and freedoms to make choices on a plethora of reasons. Most people do not realize or take into consideration, that because it is not their choice does not make another's choice wrong. As any choice in firearms all have one equalizer in common and that is the responsibility that is expected by owning one.

Me personally, though there is no need to justify my choices. I like to defend my choices (especially those in fine working order) in this particular arena because not everyone has the ability to make the best choices when it comes to monetary items.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:09 AM   #40
MauiDoc

I 'love' my gun 'cuz it was my dad's and it's about all I got left of him, other than memories and what he taught me about shooting--just the basics really, but it got me to where I am today.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:30 AM   #41
B. Lahey

Quote:
Dude that Hakim truly sucked
Yep.

But right now somebody is carefully fitting a new barrel, fixing the trigger, and giving that rifle all sorts of love.

Dude, I think I know the guy who bought the sewer hakim. It sold immediately after I told him about the auction, so I would say it's a safe bet. Look at his friggin' living room ceiling...

That's serious rifle love.

Old September 2, 2009, 01:50 AM   #42
Trashcan-man

B. Lahey, I don't think that is a living room, unless I'm mistaken those are bed posts. So that's his bedroom

Quote:
I think you sit in the back room of your shop, making Judge chokes and custom barreled NAA minis in your hello kitty spandex outfit
This comment made me fall off of my bed laughing, want to puke a little, and want to cry all at the same time.

Trashcanthankgodidontknowwildalaskasoicantgetamentalimageman

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes - The Devine Comedy
Old September 2, 2009, 02:41 AM   #43
B. Lahey

Quote:
unless I'm mistaken those are bed posts. So that's his bedroom
You were looking at furniture in that photo? Weird. Are you sure you didn't sign up for the wrong forum by accident?

Last edited by B. Lahey; September 2, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old September 2, 2009, 08:54 AM   #44
CortJestir

Quote:
You were looking at furniture in that photo? Weird. Are you sure you didn't sign up for the wrong forum by accident?
LOL! Reminds me of a sign I saw at some tchotchke store SWMBO dragged me to. It read: "Look up! Half the store is above you!"
Old September 2, 2009, 09:16 AM   #45
MLeake

Not sure if that ceiling is a case of rifle love...

.... or rifle insulation.

Never seen them packed like that.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:17 AM   #46
Uncle Billy

It's a matter of tactile stimulation...

<<Changed my mind>>

Last edited by Uncle Billy; September 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:40 AM   #47
Nightowl

"Love" my guns

Quote:
I love my guns because they never talk back unless I pull the trigger.
Amen to that! 'Nuff said.
Always - Safety First!
Old September 2, 2009, 12:15 PM   #48
Trashcan-man

Quote:
LOL...I saw the rifles, but how can your eyes not be drawn down to the bottom half of the picture? Maybe I'm a little OCD.

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes - The Devine Comedy
Old September 2, 2009, 12:41 PM   #49
Evan Thomas

I don't much care for the bedposts, but that looks like quite a nice old drop-leaf table.

Back on topic for just a second here... I think WA's question taps into a couple of things: there's how we feel about our own personal guns, including whether we think they love us back -- but there's also that whole brand-loyalty thing: the interminable Rem. 870 v Moss. 500 threads, the love/hate relationships people have with Glocks, etc.

By analogy with other products, a lot of this must have to do with the way guns and gun brands are marketed. Ford v. Chevy comes to mind here: a Ford truck and a Chevy truck are functionally interchangeable, but so many people (well... guys, if we're speaking truth here ) are "Ford Truck Men." Or not... And this depends on appeals to emotion, not to reason.

So what are the equivalent marketing strategies used by gun manufacturers, to turn someone into a "Glock Guy," for instance?? How do they persuade us to love what we love?

Or is it just that we've been conditioned by advertising to regard brand choices in general as part of who we are... so we more or less have to identify with one brand or another?

(Disclaimer: I know we all have our own brand loyalties, and we're all convinced they're completely rational, but for the sake of discussion, let's pretend that, say, Ruger and S&W are just as functionally interchangeable as Ford and Chevy. No flames, please. )
Old September 2, 2009, 01:19 PM   #50
MLeake

Vanya, assuming equal functional reliability and accuracy potential...

... some weapons just match my body better than others do, so some of my loyalties are purely based on ergonomics. This could be trigger reach, trigger feel, grip shape and size, length of pull for a longarm, control position, control size and shape, etc.

... some customer service departments have earned better reputations than others, both in terms of interpersonal relations, and in terms of weapons actually being repaired to proper operating condition.

... some manufacturers are more responsive to requests for support items (higher capacity magazines, grip adapters, etc) from their customer base.

... the only "emotional" attachment I have to a given brand will depend on whether it primarily uses US labor, or overseas labor. This doesn't mean I don't ever buy foreign: my CZ's, SIGs, and Browning BAR were all produced overseas; it does mean that aside from exceptional cases where those particular weapons were specifically what I wanted, I have made an effort to buy weapons made here, whether S&W, Ruger, Kahr, Dan Wesson, Remington, or SaberDefense. In much the same way, my motorcycle was a Harley, and my last four cars and trucks were all Ford or GM.

Cheers,

M