The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2013, 05:19 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Best price/best source for treso/ampco nipples for '51 Uberti Navy?

With the problems I encountered with the Uberti '51 Navy I have this last Sunday when I was shooting, I'd like to switch out the stock nipples with some tress/ampco nipples. I checked on Track of the Wolf - they show a 12-28 nipple for the Uberti '51 but only show it in hardened steel and stainless.

Can anybody supply info on the best price/best source for the tress/ampco nipples for this revolver or a link? I'd like to get a set for CCI #10 caps since that is what I have and seem to run across most of the time. Many thanks.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 10, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Roshi

SlixShot

I sugges.t you go with SlixShot nipples
Old June 10, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
mykeal

Treso nipples are often out of stock. They're made by House of Muskets:
http://www.houseofmuskets.com/

You might also try Jedediah Starr:
http://www.jedediah-starr.com/

However, nipples are not made to fit caps; it's the other way around. CCI#10 caps do not fit any Treso nipples.
Old June 11, 2013, 12:38 AM   #4
BirchOrr

I can get those for ya. Probably around 18 to $25.00 I'll have to check. I'm sure Bill has em in stock he has everything.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 11, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
BirchOrr

By the way....

mykeal is correct. Treso's take a #11 cap.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 11, 2013, 02:52 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Thanks on the info. I can live with the #11. The current nipples with #10s just clear the recoil shield . . . but I'm sure the 11s would as well. I'm tied up the next couple of days but as soon as i can, I'll pull a nipple and double check the thread size. I'll be in touch Birch . . . .

Thanks much!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 11, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Dan_D

Is that a #11 for CCI, Remington or both?
Thanks,
Dan
Old June 11, 2013, 04:14 PM   #8
BirchOrr

Dan...

Both.

Birch
Old June 12, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Dan_D

Thanks Birch,
Dan
Old June 12, 2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Noz

I use the Slix with #10 Remingtons and a push stick.

Works.

Same formula with TRESOs.

Youo'll have trouble finding nipples that fit CCI #10s.
Old June 12, 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Dan_D

Do the Treso's use RWS 1075's without pinching/crimping?
Thanks,
Dan
Old June 12, 2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Yes
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce