The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 24, 2000, 04:31 PM   #1
TAZ

I thought tool was better than thingamajiggie.

Anyway a while back I saw something to help with dry firing exercises. It involved a dummy round that had a laser in it that would emit when struck by the firing pin. Coupled with a light sensitive target you could dry fire and see if youre actually "hitting" something. Anyone got info on this???
Old October 24, 2000, 05:46 PM   #2
Jim V

I think what you are talking about is BEAM SHOT. I can't remember if CTD has them in their catalog or not. A neat idea.

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old October 24, 2000, 08:23 PM   #3
TAZ

yeah, that was it. Thanks.
Old October 25, 2000, 07:56 AM   #4
old man

Years ago, when I first got into bullseye shooting my dry firing drill, was to tape a sheet of paper on a pieace of cardboard, a one inch circle was the target. Hang the target shoulder high put a sharp pencil down the muzzle of an otherwise enpty peice, back off the target a few inches, the hammer had enough force to propel the pencil to the target and make a dot on the paper. It was interesting to see how small your 'groups' became with practice.
Old October 25, 2000, 12:04 PM   #5
Jim V

There used to be a device for the 1911 called the Target Dotter. It consisted of a brass tube that contained a spring loaded plunger that came to a sharp point and a target board. The tube was inserted into the barrle of the 1911 and the "shooter" would aim at the upper target, when the hammer fell it would propel the plunger forward and mark the lower target. The spring would return the plunger and the hammer would be cocked to repeat the action. They came in a wooden box that was also the target holder when it was hung on the wall.

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old October 27, 2000, 07:45 PM   #6
OIC

I am interested in the same thing. I had not paid much attention until recently, and saw the article ("Foul Weather Training Gets Real")in the Dec 2000 Combat Handguns magazine. The product is Beamhit, and here is their site: http://www.beamhit.com/

My previous gripe about their product was that the size of the laser unit hanging off the front of the pistol generally precluded using a holster. The new version of the laser module (the LT-500) is much smaller and uses sleeves rather than arbors to accomodate different calibers. List price is high; approximately $350, so I'm looking for other than list. Ellet Brothers is one of their distributers, so I'm planning on checking on their price next week. The Sportsman Guide: http//WWW.sportsmanguide.com has the cheaper unit at about $190.

Good luck

BT

[This message has been edited by OIC (edited October 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by OIC (edited October 27, 2000).]
Old December 3, 2000, 09:24 PM   #7
benzh

Check this website for dryfire drills!

Check this website for dryfire drills!
http://www.rangemaster.com/new2/dryfire.htm

Enjoy!

Howard Benz
RangeMaster Webmaster