The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2020, 11:21 PM   #1
baddarryl

Can from 1/2 cock to cocked spook Whitetails?

Hi all. am I looking to take my 17 year old son hunting and have a 1970 336 in 30/30. I am wondering at what distance that action could spook a deer. I know if i wrap a hand around the receiver it dulls the click a fair amount and I will show him that. We will be hunting the Eastern NC woods from tree stands so that is a perfect rifle for him i feeling the tress should deaden the sound too. Thanks.
Old October 30, 2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Scorch

I never had an issue when hunting with my 94 back in the day.
Old October 31, 2020, 12:28 AM   #3
CD1

Only the deer can tell you for certain. As with all things to do with whitetail, the slower an quieter you are, the less likely you are to get busted.

I just took my 336 out of the safe and thumbed the hammer back as if I were in front of a deer. An acorn hitting the ground is typically louder than the hammer coming back.

If your gun sounds the same as mine, then I'd imagine movement will be a bigger factor than the noise of the hammer getting eased back.
Old October 31, 2020, 12:30 AM   #4
bamaranger

hmnmmm!

Those big ears on a whitetail are no joke, but what I believe they key in on are unnatural sounds. So a metallic click would get there attention, however much would depend on circumstances. How much background noise, wind, temperature, how loud your particular rifle cocks, the alert level of the deer, etc. I'd hazard a guess and say within 25 yds there'd be a chance. I've had deer spook at clothing rustling, the sound of an arrow being drawn, tree stand creaks and the like, within that distance.

I'm not sure I'd let a rookie try it, but it should be possible to feather the trigger, draw the hammer to full cock and release the trigger, with no noise. Tradition not withstanding, I'm really not a fan of the old lever guns for beginners, though many of us started on one.
Old October 31, 2020, 12:32 AM   #5
O4L

It can sure scare off two timber wolves from about six feet away.
Old October 31, 2020, 05:24 AM   #6
Hawg

Hold the hammer. Pull the trigger. Very slowly ease hammer to full cock with trigger held back. Release trigger. Hammer is now at full cock with no click.
Old October 31, 2020, 05:31 AM   #7
Brit

Practice at home, yes not ammo present! Same clothing you will be wearing.
Go through the whole sequence. Will be fun.
Old October 31, 2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Jim Corbett once worried about that, when up a tree over a goat tethered to bait in a man-eating tiger. So he held back the trigger(s) of his .450-400 express rifle when he saw the tiger and when he got it in his sights, thumbed off the safety.

I have heard of deer "squatting" at the sound of a bowstring slapping the bracer and the arrow going over.
Old October 31, 2020, 10:06 AM   #9
Pahoo

Great hearing; Short attention span

Quote:
I just took my 336 out of the safe and thumbed the hammer back as if I were in front of a deer.
Quote:
Hold the hammer. Pull the trigger. Very slowly ease hammer to full cock with trigger held back. Release trigger. Hammer is now at full cock with no click.
That is one technique that I have used, especially on locks and actions that are noisier than others, such as Side-Lock M/L's. However, it takes a little practice and you need to override your Buck-Fever. ......

Another point to keep in mind, is that even though a deer's hearing is amazing, his attentions span is not and that little click is soon forgotten. Another factor is how hard the area is hunted....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 31, 2020, 01:07 PM   #10
baddarryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Those big ears on a whitetail are no joke, but what I believe they key in on are unnatural sounds. So a metallic click would get there attention, however much would depend on circumstances. How much background noise, wind, temperature, how loud your particular rifle cocks, the alert level of the deer, etc. I'd hazard a guess and say within 25 yds there'd be a chance. I've had deer spook at clothing rustling, the sound of an arrow being drawn, tree stand creaks and the like, within that distance.

I'm not sure I'd let a rookie try it, but it should be possible to feather the trigger, draw the hammer to full cock and release the trigger, with no noise. Tradition not withstanding, I'm really not a fan of the old lever guns for beginners, though many of us started on one.
He is no rookie and has shot plenty. Sophomore only at hunting. Thanks everyone.
Old October 31, 2020, 01:23 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

Depends a lot on local hunting pressure. If Bambi has heard that sound before followed by a really loud bang, it might send him running, at Mach speed, into the high timber.
If he has not, it might just make him think, "What was that?" and come looking for the source. Deer being curious critters. Some smells can do that too.
His second year hunting? Not that it makes any difference. He could be Dan'l Boone and still have Bambi run for no apparent reason.
"...at what distance..." That'd vary according to the actual conditions. Sounds can carry farther in some climactic conditions over others.
"...deer "squatting"..." Or jumping etc at the 'twang' sound of the string.
Old October 31, 2020, 01:36 PM   #12
Geezerbiker

If it was me and it did spook a deer, I would hunker down and wait to see if it came back. Deer often will return to see what spooked them.

I don't know if it works but I once talked to an old logger here in Oregon that said he used an idling chainsaw as a deer call. He claimed that the deer were curious about the sound and would come to investigate. Whether or no this is BS, I can't say...

Tony
Old October 31, 2020, 10:42 PM   #13
Hawg

I have had deer close to a stand facing away and not giving me a shot. I have jiggled my sling to make it rattle. The deer will often look back trying to see what made the noise. Other times they haul butt like somebody poured turpentine up their butts.
Old November 1, 2020, 03:48 AM   #14
bamaranger

rookies

Baddaryl,

No slight intended towards your boy. Hope you guys have a great hunt.

'bama
Old November 1, 2020, 08:50 AM   #15
Old Stony

I can understand the whole essence of this conversation as I once faced the situation and it will always stick in my brain. I was sitting near a very small pond and a nice buck came up from a low spot on the other side about maybe 20-25 yds away. I slowly raised my muzzleloader up, cocked the hammer and when I pulled the rear trigger back to engage the set trigger, he jerked his head towards me and disappeared before I could get a good sight picture. The set trigger only makes a very small noise when it's pulled....but he certainly heard it !
Old November 1, 2020, 02:17 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I haven't read the posts after this one. I'm sure someone freaked out about the idea of putting a finger on the trigger.

If you're responsible, it's not a problem.

But, there is a better way with a Marlin that has the original two-piece trigger ("floppy trigger" to some people). Most of the noise that comes from cocking the hammer on a 336 family rifle is actually the trigger "bouncing" after the sear pops into the hammer notch.
Place your finger tip on the side of the trigger, near the top, and the noise is usually reduced substantially. On some rifles, it is 50% or better. On some, not so much. But it does help on all of them.

Lower risk, and reduced noise.

That being said...
I've never had cocking clicks or safety clicks be an issue, except with a Ruger 77 Mk II (wing safety) and a Yugo 24/47 Mauser. The Yugo had a safety that really cammed the cocking piece back, which resulted in a notable "clack" if released quickly - not a click, but a metallic "clack".
With the Ruger, I spooked an elk, and later more than one antelope. The Yugo spooked everything.
Old November 1, 2020, 05:36 PM   #17
jackstrawIII

Quote:
even though a deer's hearing is amazing, his attentions span is not and that little click is soon forgotten
This is 100% true. Noise isn't as big of a deal as movement. And most days there's plenty of ambient noise in the woods: wind, squirrels chirping, geese flying by overhead, branches rustling, etc... I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Just remind your boy to be still and not to move a muscle (even his thumb) if a deer is looking his direction.

Wait till the deer is looking away, get in position, cock, and shoot.
Old November 1, 2020, 05:45 PM   #18
603Country

I killed a lot of deer with my 336 over many years. Some were very close, and not one time did the hammer cocking noise disturb or alert a deer.
Old November 1, 2020, 08:19 PM   #19
Picher

I used to practice holding the trigger back while going to full cock. It was second nature, after a bit. A special hammer extension for scope use made it easier.

I've witnessed two accidental discharges when the hammer slipped off when being lowered, after loading a lever-action. It's VERY unsettling when loading up for hunting. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.