The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 8, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1
unit70

Browning .22 Wheel sight

Was looking at a .22 Browning semi auto. It is fairly heavily engraved (squirrels etc. on left side and groundhogs etc. on the right). The top of the receiver is also engraved. All the browning ATD's I have seen with this engraving are Grade ll and have a nickel/silver receiver. The one I was looking at has a BLUED receiver. I have been unable to find another grade ll with a blued receiver. I'm guessing it's a late 1950's or early 1960's gun with the thumb wheel sight.Can anyone help with this? Has anyone seen a Grade ll with the blued receiver? Best regards. Unit 70
Old January 8, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Scorch

All the Browning Grade II rifles I have ever seen had a blued receiver. Grade III rifles have the satin nickle finish.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3
unit70

Thanks Scorch. If you would take a look at GunsAmerica or Gunbroker you will see numerous satin receivered Grade ll's and no Blued receiver Grade ll's. That's what is confusing me about the specific gun I mentioned. Unit70
Old January 8, 2009, 09:05 PM   #4
PetahW

It's the Miroku Grade II's which have blued receivers, but Belgiums (which "wheel sight" guns are) don't normally - The Belgiums usually have the silvered/French Grey receiver.

I've never seen any Belgium GR II in blue - nor does BB describe that finish as being available in that model.

The Grade III Belgiums, OTOH, were readily available in either blued or silvered/French Grey.

Old January 8, 2009, 10:30 PM   #5
unit70

I'll try posting a pic. If I remember correctly the older wheel sights have squirrels on the left side and groundhogs on the right of the receiver. The newer Miroku's are just the opposite. Thanks for your time. Best. unit70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browning wheel sight 5.jpg (34.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: gif browning atd left.gif (72.1 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by unit70; January 9, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #6
midtnducks

I just bought a Browning .22 Long Rifle that has the wheel sight and has engraving, but not like that. It looks like the standard grade II engraving, and has no serial number. Looks to have been shot little if any. I have been having a hard time getting a value for it.