The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 10, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Single Six

Help Me Out Here, Guys...Which One?

With much bitter disappointment and glum resignation, I have finally accepted the fact that I will NEVER be able to afford the car of my dreams that I've lusted after for going on 30 years. As a compromise, my wife has suggested that I console myself with the purchase of a firearm [yeah, if nothing else, I got this marriage thing right the first time!]. Now, here's how I see it: I've always wanted a stainless, synthetic-stocked M1A, but I find them to be way too expensive, and more maintenance-intensive than I'm prepared to deal with. That narrows it down to two Ruger choices: A Gunsite Scout Rifle .308, or a Mini-30 7.62x39. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by Single Six; October 12, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
jmr40

For my uses I'd buy the GSR between those 2.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
seansean1444

depends if u want to hunt i would choose the gun sight scout, if you want a fun range gun i would choose the mini 30 because the ammo is much much cheaper.... you could also hunt with the mini 30 if you found some hollow points for it
Old October 10, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Single Six

No, hunting isn't my thing...although I wouldn't completely rule it out; I've done it before and may do so again. The whole point of this purchase is to get a gun that I've always wanted but just couldn't afford [even so, as stated previously, I simply cannot justify an M1A, monetarily speaking]. The Ruger GSR is more within my grasp, and the Mini-30, even more so. Of course, already owning a Mini-14, I'm leaning toward the Scout, but still......
Old October 10, 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
siska

they are not exactly the same thing.

The Scout really is nothing more than a deer hunting rifle, and the other is at least a fair fighting rifle. Which of those things is more important to you?
Old October 10, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
warbirdlover

GSR
Old October 10, 2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Ridge_Runner_5

The M1A is not terribly maintenance intensive. Just have to keep the receiver rails greased.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Justice06RR

If you already own the Mini 14, why not go with the Ruger GSR? Thats a sweet rifle and its in .308 if thats what you're looking for.

Unless you really like your Mini14, then get the Mini30 to complement it.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Single Six

Justice: My thoughts exactly....which makes this decision that much harder.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Single Six

Ridge Runner: I guess "maintenance intensive" is subjective. To rephrase: To me, it is.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:13 AM   #11
pbrktrt

You should consider a CMP Garand.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:16 AM   #12
Single Six

Funny you should mention that; my father in-law has one for sale, he's asking $750.00. It's certainly worth considering......
Old October 11, 2012, 10:57 AM   #13
emcon5

OK, I am curious. What is your dream car?
Old October 11, 2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Single Six

PBRKTRT: Correction, the Garand my father in-law has is not a CMP, but is a pretty good shooter nonetheless. Emcon5, to answer your question [Wistful, long-suffering sigh]: 1958 Plymouth Fury, better known as "Christine". Read the book back in 1983. Saw the car for the first time when I saw the movie just after that. I recall my mouth falling open in stupefied wonder. Love at first sight, and I walked out of that theater a forever changed kid. Alas, I've since found that the dreams of youth are often drowned in the arctic waters of reality. My reach exceeds my grasp; finding, affording, and buying classic cars in 100% condition is a rich man's game...and I'm in full-time LE, so obviously I'll never be in THAT category. Ergo, buying a dream gun is much more within the realm of possibility. Well, my realm of possibility anyway....
Old October 11, 2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

I bought my 1st collector car a couple years ago... a barn find "survivor" condition 1938 Nash Lafayette trunk back sedan, with suicide rear doors... now, I'm building my 1st roadster pick up... if you found yourself one that needs lots of work ( I assume this means in your budget ) but still runs & drives even if weakly... then slowly fix it up yourself... if you just arent the "wrenchy" type, save up & pay someone to fix the thing that bugs you the most, & work your way up to that 100% condition car...

no shame in driving a cool beater, if you are working towards a goal, & if you buy one that actually drives, you can get out to the cruises, & shows, & get hooked up with the kinda people that have parts, or could get you hooked up with the next service person the car needs to meet
Old October 11, 2012, 06:25 PM   #16
mavracer

I'd go for the GSR over the mini 30 especilly if I had a mini 14. But I'd take the Garand if I didn't own anything else.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 11, 2012, 06:38 PM   #17
seansean1444

id also take the garand
Old October 11, 2012, 11:13 PM   #18
Single Six

Magnum Wheel Man: Thanks very much for the encouragement, but with a wife, 2 kids, and only one income...it just ain't gonna happen. As an aside, tonight I borrowed the aforementioned M1 and took it to a very knowledgeable gunsmith for a once-over. He told me that in his opinion, it needs a new barrel, but otherwise it's a pretty decent shooter-grade piece. He also re-crowned the muzzle & gave it a good cleaning while he was at it. He said that if he were looking at buying it, he'd offer no more than $500.00, since it needs that new barrel he mentioned. I'm thinking I'll let my father in-law keep it; I'd much rather have a brand new rifle. Hey, if I'm going to substitute a firearm for a dream car, I want a new one!

Last edited by Single Six; October 13, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:06 AM   #19
jimbob86

GSR ... until you have learned both eyes open snap shooting with a scout rifle, you really don't understand what is possible when shooting off-hand.

Last edited by jimbob86; October 12, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old October 12, 2012, 02:59 AM   #20
Single Six

Good point, Jimbob....and the point could be made that since I already have a Mini-14, I'd do well to get a Mini-30, since I already know those rifles pretty well. On the other hand, it could also be said that variety is the spice of life, which leads me back toward the GSR. Granted, for me the Mini-30 would be more useful, but this isn't about buying something I need. It's about making up for a lost dream with something I just simply want. Know what I mean?
Old October 12, 2012, 05:53 AM   #21
raimius

As a shooter, there is something attractive about the CMP Garands (especially the "special grade" rebuilt ones.)

Out of the two you originally picked, I'd go with the GSR. It seems handy, but in .308, it should be perfectly capable of work out to 600+ yards.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:47 PM   #22
Ignition Override

pbrktrt beat me to it.
At least a Service Grade Garand, but only from the CMP. Why? You will know that all the required parts are in it, the parts were not altered, and that it will function safely.
Any extra cash could be spent on M2 Ball Ammo. I will never gamble a heap of cash on an inflated-price, unknown M-1 at a gun show, nor at a gun shop etc.

My "Gun Guru" retired from the Navy Rifle Team, won over a dozen Garands in matches, and he always recommends the CMP.

You might realize that all parts were mismatched during the rearsenaling process.

Last edited by Ignition Override; October 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:41 PM   #23
Single Six

I know what you mean. I see M1s at the gun shows all the time, always with pretty steep prices. However, I don't know enough about what to look for to buy with confidence. I've heard stories of M1 buyers getting burned in just such a fashion.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:24 PM   #24
DMacLeod

I went through the same thing a while ago. Decided on the GSR. If I can remember how to post a pic I will post it.

My GSR is topped with an Eotech.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:11 AM   #25
Jimro

Settling for another rifle because you "can't afford" your dream rifle is kinda sad in my opinion. Budsgunshop has a stainless M1A for just over 1,300 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...lack+FinishGre

1,300 - 760 = a difference of 540 dollars. Isn't your happiness worth 540 dollars? You might be able to get an LE discount that knocks the delta down another hundred or so.

Just save up a little longer, and get the rifle you really want.

Jimro