The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 20, 2012, 10:56 PM   #51
Discern

The store owner did better than most LEO in a a shootout. IMO he did well under the circumstances. He may not have done everything perfect tactically. However, he survived; the employee survived; and the owner had a very good hit ratio. When you take into account that both thugs were arrested, it is even better.

I agree there should be laws to protect innocent victims like this from a civil lawsuit. Common sense should prevail, but it would be better if a civil lawsuit was not even allowed. The thug did not have to go for the front door. How about using the emergency exit or the door in which they broke into the store?
Old February 25, 2012, 05:08 PM   #52
Murdock

Two thoughts for consideration

Quote:
Yelling "freeze" is bad tactics.

There's no reason to be yelling "Freeze" or "Drop it!" But especially not so in this case, Ozier already fired a shot at the clerk before the owner emerged from the back room.
First, Yelling "FREEZE!" or just a simple command like "STOP!" at the beginning of an engagement may not be tactically significant but it is superb legal strategy. Clint Smith teaches this a Thunder Ranch, and some people think he's a pretty smart guy. Such a tactic costs nothing in time or energy if one is engaging and potentially could save one from becoming an innocent victim of the legal system.

Second, it appears that the store owner ceased fire when it became clear that the BG was departing. Maybe he was out of ammo, or just ducking, but he didn't try to nail the guy as he was exiting. Smart.

Overall the store owner shot well and otherwise behaved like a responsible citizen who expected his every action to appear on video. So should we all.

Video surveillance is everywhere and every grammar school child has a cell phone that takes videos.

It would be highly instructive to learn what training/experience the store owner had.

Quote:
IMO, if a prior robbery motivated me to upgrade the video surveillance, it would also motivate me to get a shotgun and a bullet-proof vest and keep them in the back room.
The shotgun is a very good idea, as long as it is instantly available and secure from unauthorized hands. The vest in the back room? If it isn't already on your body when the poop arcs toward the blower it's wasted money.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:15 PM   #53
C0untZer0

Quote:
The vest in the back room? If it isn't already on your body when the poop arcs toward the blower it's wasted money.
The owner took some time watching the robbery unfold and he called 911 before he emerged from the back office, that's more than enough time to throw a vest on.

If you have the advantage of being concealed but are able to view the assailants, that's a huge advantage, especially in terms of time to prepare, mental attitude, advantage of surprise....

If i had a backroom with video, i'd definately have a vest back there too.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:44 AM   #54
AndersonG22

Quote:
If i had a backroom with video, i'd definately have a vest and shotgun back there too.
FTFY
Old February 26, 2012, 01:56 AM   #55
lawnboy

Quote:
Instead of saying "Freeze !" He should have yelled "Fill your hand you son of a bitch !!!"
I've always been partial to "Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields