The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2005, 01:57 AM   #1
bjmanersr

Need help with 40 cal loading for a glock 35

I just got a glock 35 (NEW)and I loaded up some ammo for it.I loaded 5.00 and 5.50 g of bullseye behind a ranier 180 g bullet at an aol of 1.125 and with the rear sight ajusted all the way up it still shoots a little low.Any and all help will be appreciated.
Old September 21, 2005, 07:44 AM   #2
HSMITH

Just for the sake of safety switch to a slower powder. Power Pistol and Winchester Super Field are good choices. I would also recommend you get a Lee/EGW undersize die.

Load some with a slower powder and see where the POI is.
Old September 21, 2005, 07:37 PM   #3
bjmanersr

Thanks BOB

Old September 21, 2005, 08:06 PM   #4
BigSlick

HSMITH's suggestion is a good one, especially when working up a new load for a new gun, especially with a 40SW and a 180 gr bullet, especially in a Glock. (No flames please, I shoot a Glock too)

One other thing to think about; plated bullets are great for plinking and some people experience excellent accuracy using them (myself included) but plated bullets aren't always as uniform as jacketed and the bullet itself may play a part in your accuracy issues.

The most accurate load I have ever fired out of a pistol is 4.5gr TG behind a 155 gr Hornady XTP (#40000) seated to ~1.125, WSP primer. P16-40 and G23.

I use the same load, OAL, primer and brass with Berry's plated and accuracy opens up quite a bit. Montana Gold FP bullets are almost as accurate as the XTP. Rainiers is somewhere in between, cast bullets accuracy is good but with these I reduce the charge to 4.3gr.

I have been experimenting with AA#5 and HS-6 and have found the plated bullets seem to like them a lot better. Both of these are significantly slower powders than TG or Bullseye.

Try a jacketed bullet, a slower powder and make certain your crimp is not too heavy, and see what that gets you.

I don't use the FCD, so I can't comment on that.
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old September 21, 2005, 10:25 PM   #5
HSMITH

Gunny, Bullseye is a very fast powder. Glocks have less than full chamber support in 40. IF you get a little bit of bullet setback into the case you can have a catostrophic case failure, known as KB! or kaboom on most boards. When you use a fast powder the amount of setback necessary to blow a case is much less than when a slower powder is used.

Two ways to ensure this doesn't happen to you. 1) use a slower powder, it gives a little more forgiveness. 2) Use a Lee/EGW undersize sizing die. Any and all protection from setback is created in the sizing die. The tighter the case grips the bullet the less chance it will be set back. For instance, my regular 40 dies (all carbide) from Lee, RCBS and Lyman all size the case down to about .399" ID. This is an average of case brands, case wall thickness does play a role. My Lee/EGW undersize die sizes the case to .396" ID. The case with .001" of tension on the bullet will hold about 15-25 pounds of pressure before a bullet is seated deeper into the case, the case with .004" of tension will withstand in excess of 50 pounds of force without the bullet being seated deeper.

Please don't believe that a tighter crimp will help prevent setback, it isn't true. In fact the tighter the crimp the more case tension is lost.

Also, don't think I am picking on Glocks or 40, I own and shoot Glocks, including Glocks chambered in 40 S&W. Great guns, but I like to play it as safe as I can and not have problems.
Old September 21, 2005, 11:51 PM   #6
bjmanersr

Thanks HSSMITH I"LL TRY ER!!

Old September 22, 2005, 12:43 AM   #7
Powderman

If the round is shooting low, it means that the bullet is moving at SERIOUS speed.

I have found good loads for the .40 using the 155 grain Montana Gold JHP, and Herco powder. For Herco, I use the data from the site, (Alliant Powder), and use the 170 gr. load data. Reduce by 5% to start.

With Alliant Power Pistol, reduce by 10%. Use a good taper crimp, too.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:49 AM   #8
Harley Quinn

Factory ammo in the glock

I don't want to step on your thread but Glocks are best shot with factory ammo.
One the factory says so and two you won't have to worry about the topic you are on at the moment.

If they say so they mean it. They won't stand behind the warrenty when you shoot your own design....I know, spoiler.
If you want to reload, shoot a different gun. Thats my 2 cents.

Harley
Old September 22, 2005, 10:10 AM   #9
Jeeper

Ditto what HSMITH said

I would skip the Bullseye and try Titegroup. All the propblems with glock loading you hear on the internet are by people who dont know how to reload. It is the same people who think that crimping holds the bullet in. I have yet to see any experienced person blow up a gun. As with all reloading, dont be stupid, stay in the correct range for powder and OAL, adjust your dies Correctly and you wont have a problem.
Old September 22, 2005, 10:43 AM   #10
somerled

My BHP was still shooting a little low with 180 grain JHPs and Power Pistol. I just broke out the chronograph and backed down the load 3/10th grain. I didn't lower the velocity all that much, but the bullets are impacting right on at 25 yds. It saved me from replacing the front sight--it has a tritium insert.

I've tried the fast burners such as Bullseye in the .40 S&W, but the groups were 4" or worse. Everything that burns just a bit slower than Unique and Winchester 231 on rate charts seem to work just fine.
Old September 22, 2005, 10:51 AM   #11
Harley Quinn

See that is reason they don't want you loading

Gunny,

All ready you have gotten good and bad information, Lets see how do you seperate it if you are not that well aquainted with loading.

Not to be smart to you gunny but when you started with bullseye you made your first mistake. At least you asked and got some good and bad information.

Crimping does not hold the bullet in Ok, next thing to think is what does. LOL

Bulls eye is one of the quickest burning and less amount you need, many double up on this load. I have been reloading for a very long time. Sooo
I will address this since you are probably going to go and do it anyhow.

Crimping is very important, length of case is very important, they grow the more you shoot them,( especially in hot loads) Length overall, very important
feeding problems. I think the best thing to do is don't say much about shooting reloads in this gun. Next do your homework as you are doing.

Try to stay within the factory specs "important unless you are building up a special round" that is a slow and tedious situation 5 rounds of a certain powder and weight. Same powder a little change for hotter 5 rounds. When done with the one powder put everything away and make sure you write everything down, how much you put in, did you weigh it or just throw it?
Keep different reloads in seperate containers zip lock baggies are handy write on them.

The medium range burning powder is good and it will get closer to the top so you won't double fill.

Get a good reloading book, I don't think you will find one exactly to your liking but get one that shows factory specs and again try to stay close to that.

I could go on and on but this is a start with some of the other good information you should be alright. Again try a different gun for testing.

Good luck
Harley
Old September 23, 2005, 11:44 PM   #12
bjmanersr

Thanks to all of you

I loaded up 20 of each:20 with 6 G. of powerpistol and plated bullets and the same load with jacketed.What do you think?
By the way;I have been loading for 20 years but it was limited to a 38 S&W or a colt 45.I collect old guns and have a FEW from the turn of the century to today(3 S&W 14-2 15 and 3 19s(I LOVE UM)I also love the older tiny(36 SIZE) colts
Old September 24, 2005, 11:34 AM   #13
HSMITH

Gunny, 6 grains of Power Pistol is a load that shoots well in everything I have tried it in. I think you will like them.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:25 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

6.0g Power Pistol, 180g Rainier

OAL 1.130"+/-.005", sized case, CCI500.

Many tested, yes in Glocks, av = 890--920fps based on specific gun.
Av accuracy = 2.5" or less @25 yds.