The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 18, 2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Al Den

Just some dessert after that food for thought: don't buy .22's that only cost $19 for 550. Go crazy and spend twice as much to get quality. I think you'll see it in your consistency and accuracy when you get past the novelty, albeit fun, of making noise and shooting as fast as you can...
Old July 18, 2012, 10:13 PM   #27
hermannr

Reasons to start with .22...price of ammo...noise level...recoil, extremely large variety of choices from revolvers, semi-autos, single shots Olympic level competitive pistols, all the way down to plinkers...oh, and did I mention...the cost of ammo?

Personally, I have four .22's. I would guess I shoot the .22's to 9mm about 10:1. I prefer Camden built High Standards for pistols and Marlin or CZ for rifles (all 22's). Savage makes a good .22 rifle too, but I don't have one. Some of the really good .22's arn't made anymore, so don't discount used.
Old August 2, 2012, 11:44 PM   #28
warnerwh

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Shooting can be very fun. I agree with the other guys recommending a .22. They are a blast to shoot and you can go through several hundred rounds for little money. The .22 is the best bang for your buck in guns imo.

Get a Ruger MK I II III or a Browning Buckmark. They both can be had for not much money. Used ones are fine too. If one of those is maintained at all it will last another few hundred thousand rounds. If you prefer a revolver there are plenty to choose from also. I own both.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:35 PM   #29
Boatme98

Chris welcome to TFL and the world of shooting! Well, you're hooked now. A 9mm is a good place to start. Of course you'll need a revolver eventually. You've already fired a .45, so you won't want to start with a .38. You need at least a .357. Btw, a 357 can use .38s, but a .38 can't use a .357.
Pay attention, there will be quiz.
O.K., now we have you set up with a starter semi auto and a revolver. It's time to think about rifles.
I guess we'll wait on that.
We all know that once you start shooting those pistols you're going to have to get a carry permit. Along with that comes the decision-"what do I carry?"-we'll get you through that too.
Now you'll need a safe to keep that .9mm, the .357, and the couple of guns you'll buy until you settle on your carry piece. And all the holsters,too. We'll get back to you later about these.
So many choices. So much cash involved. You don't have children do you? They're a drain on your gun budget. Avoid them at all costs.
So, again welcome to the fun and frugal sport of recreational shooting.
Old August 6, 2012, 03:46 AM   #30
Flopsweat

If we're going to start recommending .22 pistols I have to mention the Smith & Wesson 22-A. I have one, two friends of mine have one, two other friends with Rugers want one. Great gun for money, reliable accurate, eats all brands of ammo, all of the things they say about the MK III and better looking too. OK, the last one may be a bit subjective... That new Ruger SR 22 is very nice too.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #31
SilverUnicorn

Been a long time but I got my first pistol!!

Bought from a good friend. 9MM H&K USP with extra clips and some rounds

Pretty excited.

Chris
Old December 12, 2012, 05:16 PM   #32
wayneinFL

I didn't start shooting until I was 30. I took two classes before I bought my first handgun. I don't think it's odd at all. Actually makes more sense in my opinion.

I agree with those who advocate buying a 22. You can shoot all day for next to nothing. Helps you develop trigger control, which is 90% of accuracy, IMO.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:36 PM   #33
Flopsweat

OK, you've been at it long enough that I'm comfortable correcting you on this. Those are magazines. Clips hold the cartridges and make it easier to insert them into magazines. A magazine can be detachable, like on your H&K, or a part of the gun like on an M1 Garand or a Remington 870. On a Garand you would use a clip to load the magazine because it's much easier that way. With the 870 you would just move the forend grip forward and insert the shells into the tube magazine. Hope that helps.

Wayne is right about getting a 22, but if you're like me you'll have too much fun shooting the HK to worry about that for a few months. Perfectly normal, don't let it bother you. Eventually you'll get tired of paying for 9mm and think "Hey, those guys at TFL said something about that..." I probably shoot about 5 times as much 22 as 9mm now but I still shoot the 9 regularly too.

Nice purchase by the way! Enjoy.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #34
Nathan

To shore up your new found shooting skills, you might look for an NRA Basic Pistol Class in your area. They are not that expensive, but will teach you a lot about basic gun handling. . .some your more "experienced" friends don't know.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:28 PM   #35
Baba Louie

Excellent 1st choice SU aka Chris.

Old HK joke here, make sure to load magazines with the rounds pointy ends up front.

Another point to consider with the HK... the front strap checkering can be quite aggressive during prolonged range sessions if you have "office" hands as opposed to "outdoorsman" hands.

Stay safe and shoot straight. clips, magazines... we ALL know whatcha mean but do expect someone to get all semantic nazi on ya.

Kinda envious in a way. Really nice selection, should serve you well over the years.

ETA, I just now saw Flopsweats post.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old December 13, 2012, 02:15 PM   #36
Ronbert

Quote:
To shore up your new found shooting skills, you might look for an NRA Basic Pistol Class in your area. They are not that expensive, but will teach you a lot about basic gun handling. . .some your more "experienced" friends don't know.
+100

Really, even if you think you know (from military or other training) this will prove and strengthen it.

And maybe you'll learn about other branches of fun. The lady who taught the course my wife and I took was also recruiting people to try IPSC ("action shooting") which is outstanding fun. I wound up helping her teach the course for awhile as well as branching into IPSC and then being the club range officer for awhile.
Old December 13, 2012, 05:34 PM   #37
SilverUnicorn

Thanks all. I am currently looking for a NRA course close to me.

Flopsweat...Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for my novice error

I think this will serve me well for a long time.

Chris
Old December 13, 2012, 06:47 PM   #38
pax

Nice purchase.

May you use it often and never need it.

pax
Old December 13, 2012, 06:57 PM   #39
Jim Watson

Quote:
On a Garand you would use a clip to load the magazine because it's much easier that way.
If you are going to correct usage, please get it right.
The en-bloc clip is the ONLY way to shoot a Garand as a repeater, not just "much easier".

Using a stripper clip to load the magazine on a Johnson, etc. calls for some hand strength and technique, it is quick but only if you can do it right.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:12 PM   #40
Jeff #111

That is a very good choice for your first handgun. H&K makes a quality pistol. 9mm Parabellum is accurate and easy shooting plus it's more affordable than say 45 ACP. You'll figure out the correct terminology in time. Just visit here and other firearm forums. Also there are many excellent books out there. Beware though. You'll find that if you really get into shooting it never ends. Now you'll need belts, holsters.................

Well you'll figure that out too. Enjoy. Good choice. Be safe.

Last edited by Jeff #111; December 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:17 PM   #41
SPEMack618

And after the belts and holsters come more belts and holsters as you learn what drssing around the guns means.

And then pocket pistols for when you wear swim trunks.

Shoot safely and often and be a good ambassador to the sport.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:18 PM   #42
alex0535

.22LR is the best thing for a new shooter.

Consider getting a Ruger Mark III or 22/45. If you liked the weightier handgun, definitely go with the heavy barrel. These guns are highly accurate and reliable. One of the most accurate .22 lr handguns you can buy.

The 22/45 has the controls of a 1911 .45 and a similar feel. These guns are not the easiest to take apart but if you have trouble there are lots of helpful youtube videos.

.22 is the cheapest to practice with. Consider getting a .22 rifle for your first rifle if you decide to get into shooting a rifle.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:56 PM   #43
breakingcontact

Welcome! Bring a few million friends with please.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:49 AM   #44
ljnowell

Congrats SilverUnicorn!!!! Thats a FINE firearm too! I was never as politically involved until I got a handgun. Prepare for a life changing experience.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:52 AM   #45
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
If you are going to correct usage, please get it right.
Wow. Did you feel like I was being rude? I was trying to help. Is that OK? I'll be sure to write a novel next time. It may totally confuse the person I'm addressing, but at least it will meet your approval. Honestly, what was I thinking?
Old December 14, 2012, 01:59 AM   #46
johnwilliamson062

Not a bad choice. I looked around and it seems as though H&K will not allow a 22 conversion to be produced for that gun. Only drawback IMO.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:52 AM   #47
Gaerek

I'm going to jump on the .22LR band wagon also. They're fun and cheap to shoot. A Ruger 10/22 rifle, or Ruger Mark III pistol would be my recommendations. Both great, high quality guns. If you're just looking to have fun and punch holes in paper, you can't beat .22. If you're looking for another application, (Self Defense, home defense, hunting, etc) then there are other things I'd suggest. But since that doesn't seem to be the case (yet) .22LR is the way to go.

EDIT: Silly me for not reading the whole thread. Congrats on your purchase! That's a fine firearm, and if (really, when) you decide you want something for SD or HD, you're already set.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:38 AM   #48
Skans

Get a CZ75 in 9mm. Here's why:

1. 22's have nowhere close to the same "wow" factor as a decent 9mm has for a 1st gun. "Wow factor" is not to be poo-poo'ed when buying your first gun (IMHO)

2. CZ75 is a well made, desirable, affordable 9mm handgun. If you don't like it, you will have no trouble selling it for about what you paid for it.

3. If you want a cheaper 9mm, check out the Tanfoglio 9mm's which are copies of the CZ75. Good, well made guns.

I have a Ruger Mark II .22. I still shoot my 9mm's quite a bit more than my .22, although I do like having a .22. Looking back on 30 years of shooting, I still wouldn't buy a .22 for my first handgun.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:40 PM   #49
Jeff #111

Now that you own a 9mm H&K pistol you might want to consider a .22 LR pistol. However I'm going to go against the grain and not recommended the Ruger. I recommend the Browning Buckmark Camper. The more affordable model of all the Buckmark variations and a very solid little pistol ideal for plinking and just having (safe) fun with.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:42 PM   #50
Ronbert

I don't think anybody would take the advice to make a .22 their first handgun.

But I strongly suggest it be one's second handgun.

It's how you de-flinch from the first.

I've watched newbie club shooters doing really well with the club .22s go buy a 9mm. After the first few 9mm shots they can't hit the target paper anymore. (50' bullseye targets) Switching back to .22 they still can't hit the paper until they re-focus on how they used to shoot.

I myself will switch back to the .22 when I think I might be starting to develop a flinch. It has just enough recoil to disturb your sight picture but not enough to build a flinch. Perfect for marksmanship fundamentals.