The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 2, 2010, 12:22 AM   #76
T. O'Heir

"...head shots on deer is just a pretty bad idea in general..." Agreed. Much smaller target. Completely irresponsible, if the shooter is using factory ammo out of a commercial hunting rifle and hasn't taken the time to find the factory ammo that shoots best out of his rifle.
"...in the left eye of a doe antelope at 600 yards..." A miraculously lucky shot.
Old August 2, 2010, 10:36 AM   #77
Mynameisbullet

Bad idea.

First off, it's a hard target to hit, especially if it's moving.

Secondly, if it's a trophy buck, you cant mount the head on the wall because...well....ya know....half the head is missing....
Old August 2, 2010, 01:32 PM   #78
FrankenMauser

Quote:
"...in the left eye of a doe antelope at 600 yards..." A miraculously lucky shot.
It was a called shot. Similar feats have been recorded, as well.

I'm not the average hunter that shoots 3 rounds before a hunt, slings 92 rounds at various herds during the hunt, and finally gets lucky with a butt-shot animal of the wrong sex.

I know my rifles and practice with all of them, all year. I know the cartridges, my loads, and the bullets. I know the animals and their anatomy. I know what a good shot is, and what a bad shot is. I know when to pass. I know when to shoot. I study my drop tables, windage tables, and take terrain into account when figuring wind speeds. I am not Joe-Redneck, that hunts to kill. I hunt for meat, and do my best to make every shot an instant kill.

Some of you appear to be too closed-minded, as well. I never said that I only take head shots. Head shots are a product of opportunity. If the shot is available, I'll take it. If the shot is risky, I choose a different animal, or different shot. I only said that my head shots out number body shots.

Last year's Antelope hunt, for example: I passed on more than a dozen easy shots, inside 300 yards; and at least 3 easy shots inside 90 yards. Every other hunter I know would have attempted the shots (many of them, successfully), but I didn't like what I was looking at; or didn't feel like taking that animal. I ended up with a lengthwise body shot on a bedded-down doe, and a spine shot on a fawn. Then, I broke both shoulders, and took out the heart on an animal that was running at full speed, after an unfortunate mis-judgement by another hunter wounded it.

A head shot wasn't even attempted last year.

If you don't have the confidence or skill to attempt head shots, or suggest them to other hunters, that's fine. Don't go telling people they are idiots, or unethical, though. We hunters are constantly fighting to keep our firearms, so we can continue to enjoy this sport, while the closed-minded antis try to take those firearms away. If we can't keep an open mind about hunting tactics, we're just as bad as they are... It's just a different subject in the spotlight.

And.... I'm getting tired of having to point this out in the hunting forum, but many members here simply cannot understand the concept:
We live in varying terrain. We live in different climates. We hunt different species. We use different weapons. We have different challenges and problems hunting those species.

I don't hunt the same animals the same way Joe-Redneck does. You don't hunt the same animals the same way I do.

The world is vast and varied. Take the blinders off, and open your minds.
Old August 2, 2010, 02:22 PM   #79
clamman

I have no problem with head shots if you KNOW your going to hit your mark. The last two for me were at +/- 100 yards with a slug gun and a rifled barrel, topped off with a properly sighted in red dot scope. Very clean kills. More than likely I'll be using that shotgun this fall due to the area I'm hunting, So I'll be sighting it in again for 100 yards and dusting off the sabots. The Rem 700 wil more than likely stay on the wall this year.
Old August 4, 2010, 02:24 AM   #80
Red Devil

Neck if they're still and inside of 100 yrds...

Otherwise, opposite shoulder, ...and wreck the heart a/o lungs along the way.

Texas "heart" shot, ...? only if the light comes on.
Old August 16, 2010, 04:28 AM   #81
wpcexpert

I love how this topic comes up...

about every 3-4 months. I have no problem with someone making a clean ethical shot. If they have the abilities to do so. If the shot drops the animal in its tracks...it is clean and ethical.

I love the hipocracies of some people. They will flame another hunter for shooting at the head of a large game animal, but who do you know that hasn't taken a shot at the head of a squirrel, rabbit, groundhog, ect?

Why are small game so discriminated against?

Anyway, Armedtotheteeth hasn't been on TFL for a little while. And I know if he see's what I'm about to post, he will yell at me. But for head shots, ATTT and Yithian are good at it.

Check out the thread...http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+head+syndrome

It's a real head turner...
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 17, 2010, 09:28 AM   #82
ZeroJunk

Quote:
but who do you know that hasn't taken a shot at the head of a squirrel, rabbit, groundhog, ect?
Me. If there is potentially unnecessary suffering trying to hit a baseball size deer head then why not shoot at a squirrel head. They are known to be still aren't they?

I like to eat squirrel and rabbit. And feeling no need to brag about my skill doing it I find that #6 shot works perfectly.
Old August 17, 2010, 12:10 PM   #83
shortwave

Quote:
but who do you know that hasn't taken a shot at the head of a squirrel, rabbit, groundhog, ect?
That makes two who hasn't. #6's for me also.

Now I do shoot turkey in the neck/head with shogun.
Old August 17, 2010, 01:13 PM   #84
wpcexpert

Quote:
Me. If there is potentially unnecessary suffering...
Quote:
That makes two who hasn't.
Well, congrats. You two are the first two I've ever met that hasn't played "Head shots only" for squirrel.

To each his own I guess. I'll keep takin their heads off. Especially with a .17, they almost explode.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 17, 2010, 02:27 PM   #85
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Some of this commentary would make pretty near anybody's head explode...
Closed Thread