The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2014, 05:41 PM   #1
mannyCA

percussion sharps dies

I'm currently loading for a .54 sharps carbine percussion using brass cases, a pedersoli bullet with the heeled base which presses into the case. Problem comes when I go to seat the bullet. It takes some force to seat the heel and I've been using a deburring tool to put a slight bevel inside of the brass case to make seating a bit easier. In case anyone cares, I'm machining my own brass cases and use a piece of scotch tape over the flash hole to prevent BP from trickling out. A simple prick with my trustypocket knife when the round is seated and we're ready to go.

Which leads me to my question, is there a seater die for this caliber or am I on my own in terms of making my own die?

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; March 25, 2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Bullet...
Old February 5, 2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Captchee

I cant say much about this other then to say I load heeled bullets in 38LC ..
I can set the bullet to the case by hand very easily. I then crimp it with the crimp die I got specifically for heeled bullets from
http://www.cartridgeconversion.com/Home_Page.php

i then went to Bernie at Old west bullet moulds and had him make me a 125 grain heeled bullet mould so i could cast my own . was worth every penny in my 1851 with a kirst conversion .
So you might give the above link a read and follow what he does . that’s just what I did and have had 0 issues loading heeled bullets
Old February 6, 2014, 06:48 PM   #3
DD4lifeusmc

seating die

Not that I am aware of.
I do the same 54 sharps and brass case.
I use a soft mallet to set them.
But I use a little beeswax / tallow lube around the base.
I use plain tissue paper in bottom to stop the trickling.
I haven't needed to prick the paper.

I bought my cases online.
Old February 7, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
mannyCA

I’ve also been using a mallet, maybe a little too forcefully at times, and that was why I was wondering about a die. I never thought about putting lube on the heel before seating going to have to try that.
Old February 8, 2014, 09:43 AM   #5
DD4lifeusmc

lube

Manufacturer of my moulds (custom) says that for the Sharps and the smith brass cases for the percussion models.
The bullet should be just a snug fit and the lube should be all that's necessary to retain them to the case.
Not like modern cases where it is a pressure fit and or crimping.
Actually I pan dip mine so the lube grooves are filled also.
I use a home brew of beeswax and hog lard.
Once fully seated the confines of the chamber will hold the case and the bullet together tight enough to allow full ignition and pressur to develop before expelling the bullet.